Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 153

Author Topic: So OpenX-Com...  (Read 241410 times)

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So OpenX-Com...
« Reply #1920 on: July 12, 2022, 02:59:44 pm »

RIP!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: July 12, 2022, 04:02:35 pm »

I guess the difficulty progression moved way past my current tech level (as i had put on hold the Mid Tier Requisition research, fearing Chapter 2 triggered by it would push the difficulty progression too fast) to the point the best course of action would have been to evacuate the planet and bomb it from orbit :D
Should have done the Mid Tier Requisition research for better equipment and etc.., no way to deal with so many terminators with chapter1 level of equipment.

Gave a try to playing Imperial Guard this time.
First mission, a traitor guardsmen hideout is detected.

Filled the available Valkyrie with my commissar and as much newbie troopers as i could and landed on the objective that turned out to be a night mission.

Result : mission failed and everyone is dead and no enemy was harmed in any ways.

Observations on this failure:
- imperial guardsmen die super fast in comparison to any other factions as expected, like playing xcom1, they will never survive a shot or a grenade, you must have them spread, never get them too close for each other.
- on that mission filled with traitor guardsmen, the enemy always shot beyond my line of view, hinting at guardsmen having the lowest night vision of anyone (as traitor guardsmen had more than newbies troops, some of them may have had good night visions, revealing my troops.
- your troops being xcom1 level of weak and low night vision recruits, you need to play like xcom1 : smoke grenade is the most important thing again to not have everyone shot to death before you get out of the Valkyrie, and use some flamer to light up the enemy hiding in darkness outside of guardsmen low night vision
- imperial guardsmen being so weak means you have to expect them to die in drove, fortunately unlike other factions troop they're cheap to buy, so no need to play too cautiously like when you have super expansive space marines or sister of battles.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 04:16:44 pm by Robsoie »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: July 13, 2022, 09:03:10 am »

I haven't done human guardsmen, but from abhuman... enemies have better thermal vision and night vision than you do, the basic lasguns are horrifically unreliable, don't use the Valkyrie for deployment if you can help it.

On that last one, after you get the basic route choice as long as you don't go the scion/elite route you should get a chimera variant that lets you deploy lots of troops with covering fire turrets. Losing 6-10 troops every mission isn't so bad when you deploy 16-24.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: July 13, 2022, 09:25:14 am »

The Valkyrie really felt like a death trap, mostly because you can't use its weaponry at all during a ground battle (the Valkyrie comes with krak missiles and craft bolter by default, but you can't use them out of a dogfight sadly)

So i manufactured Chimeras as soon as they're available for manufacturing (after the Guardsmen Strategy research if i remember well), and wow what a difference that's really the transport you really want to use (even though it's slower than a Valkyrie so i'm not sure it can reach a fast disappearing mission on the other side of the world) :
- not all your troops are stuck in the same cargo, you have your troops separated in 3 chimeras , allowing you to cover then more ground (like when using drop pods with the Space Marine faction)
- chimeras have big guns mounted on their turrets, unlike the Valkyrie that is a sitting duck ,  and you have 3 chimeras so it means 3 big guns that can each deliver a bunch of shots 2 times by turns each.

And thanks to those Chimera allowing me to deploy my troops without dying so much to enemy reaction fires beyond my poor guy night vision, i also managed to assault 2 Large ufo that landed .
Both times they were full of nurgle stuff.

The first one was the most easy of them, filled with guys with knife in hooded robes that transform into
Spoiler: on their death (click to show/hide)

Things you need to kill fast before they "nurglize" your troops when they come in contact, fortunately IG laser guns can deal with them if your Chimeras gun are missing.
There were a couple of
Spoiler: those guys too (click to show/hide)
That were more annoying, but nothing the brave newbie troopers couldn't deal with.
The result of claiming that large enemy UFO was rather good, sadly we lost a few recruits from accidental friendly fire. The Commissar let that go because she was one of the troopers that died (was the shot really accidental, i wonder :D )

I earned some stuff that allowed me to promote a trooper to Major (in the Soldiers menu, remember to check in the drop down menu the "Transformation Overview" to see what you can do with the troops) and also assign her a level of shielding (nice considering how easy to kill your guardsmen are in their puny default armor)

The 2nd large ufo was harder as there were some more dangerous nurglites in there
Spoiler: several nurglettes (click to show/hide)
One type had very high HP (or armor) apparently as it took a lot to bring them down and the other ones had some summon power, as she could shoot something that exploded and created a mini nurglite, said mini nurglite hacked to death 2 of my recruits in the same turn.

Those ones have a high stealth value, i needed to be rather close to them to finally see them, they killed a bunch of guardsmen with their sniper shots..

There were also some nurgled orgryn, and i don't know what kind of weapon he was using but it was creating at least 4 grenade-like explosion on his shots, one of those guys killed 4 of my recruits in a turn.
Only 5 recruits (the now Colonel survived, i guess the extra shielding i promoted her to really helped) survived this onslaught.

But my guess is that if i had used the Valkyrie none at all would have survived as the Chimera did a good job at killing things dead to pave the way for my troopers.

IG is a very fun faction to play so far, but keeping them alive is hard (so many saving and reloading in those battles :D )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:28:42 am by Robsoie »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: July 13, 2022, 10:12:59 am »

Abhumans only get 'light' chimerae, which are wheeled but more importantly are only 2 in a team instead of 3 (so one less turret, 1/3 fewer troops). On the flipside goatfolk are a little more useful off the bat than humans, and squats can be given a long-las from the get-go. (Haven't tried the new felinids yet)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: July 13, 2022, 10:16:51 am »

i'm not sure it can reach a fast disappearing mission on the other side of the world
I think missions (unlike UFOs) don't disappear if targeted by a craft. At least that was true for XCom.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: July 13, 2022, 10:26:16 am »

i'm not sure it can reach a fast disappearing mission on the other side of the world
I think missions (unlike UFOs) don't disappear if targeted by a craft. At least that was true for XCom.

I don't know of XPZ changed or introduced new classes of stuff on the globe, but I've definitely had stuff other than UFOs change enroute, so it's a thing that can happen in mods, at least; the most obvious example would be the aircar race objective.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #1927 on: July 13, 2022, 10:31:20 am »

I really like X-Com Files, i think one of the very best games ever made to this day. I’m quite sad Xenonauts didn’t get as much love from modders, almost only X-CE and X-Division are a thing. Not sure if Files or Division is my top, but anyway, both are awesome. Division is maybe a bit too looping its loop : find the tech, win, go to next invasion phase, lose until you find the tech, win etc. I find it less true with Files.

Shame that with nowadays tech we can’t have something as deep and various without being a shitty "spectacular game killing your GPU" without depth...
I don’t care at all about the last 3D real photo like effects, but having a nice 2D/3D easier to read could do good for OXCE...

Something bothering me with not-Files mods is they often try to pour too many soldiers in one mission. I’m OK with 10vs10 but more becomes too tedious and boring to my taste.
A bit like Battle Brothers, at first it’s lovely but later we more or less need too many troops.

By the way if you don’t know about it, go play The Book of the Game (Adventures in Leman), (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1661360/) really loving where it’s going.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: July 13, 2022, 10:40:43 am »

That's one of the reason i spend more time with the openxcom mods than with the modern xcom games, not only they have much more content but they're simply more fun, and indeed without trying to murder your GPU or CPU with tons of effects that are very heavy on the hardware and that serve no other purpose than "it looks modern"

Back to 40k/rosigma
The mission that worries me the most is the "massacre" mission (the 40k equivalent of xcom1 terror missions), as it is -1000 score if they disappea, space hulks also has a nasty score malus if it goes away.

Got a Space Hulk mission , i was wondering how my troops would manage this one.
And it was hard, especially as some voidcrew had flame throwers, and those did murder several of my troopers in those dread corridors.
There's even a genestealer that contaminated 2 of my soldiers (the huge pain with the Guardsmen is how low their TU is in comparison to Space Marines or Sisters of Battle, so you can't really walk or sprint too far to conserve enough TU to shoot , and with those laser pea shooters it's hard to take out an enemy fast enough)

But after 12 braves guardsmen lost their lives ,
Spoiler: they did it ! (click to show/hide)

one of the loot was a 500.000 credits requisition bounty that you can sell to get the money.
Our highest ranked guardswoman (the one i gave a shielding previously) has been ranking up to General , not that that does her any good as we're still low in tech and the promotion does not provide anything to help her.
Well, at least she's still alive.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 10:45:26 am by Robsoie »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: July 13, 2022, 12:10:41 pm »

I don't know of XPZ changed or introduced new classes of stuff on the globe, but I've definitely had stuff other than UFOs change enroute, so it's a thing that can happen in mods, at least; the most obvious example would be the aircar race objective.

I've had missions in X-Com Files vanish with a vehicle en route several times, same in Rosigma. Not sure what the default is, but XPZ seems to be a bit of an outlier in my experience.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: July 13, 2022, 12:42:58 pm »

I'm kind of the opposite; I have no issue with fielding a massive army (other than large battles tend to be on large maps, which means spending all day hunting down the last stragglers), but I absolutely hate having to deal with dispatch soldiers from multiple bases, shuffling materiel, etc.

Basically, anything that comes with dealing with multiple bases.

I've had missions in X-Com Files vanish with a vehicle en route several times, same in Rosigma. Not sure what the default is, but XPZ seems to be a bit of an outlier in my experience.

Sounds like the default mechanic is the outlier then.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:43 pm »

40k Rosigma is really about large engagement, i think there are even more people/monsters/whatevertheyare roaming around those maps than in any other mods. But i guess considering the "there's always war" context it makes some sense to have army vs army, similarly to how small scale fights in Xcom Files also makes perfect sense in the mod context

But i think sometime it's really too much, as getting missions after missions with tons of troop on your side and even more troops on the other side can be very repetitive especially with the imperial guards, as with them you are encountering very often enemies (damned squats or orgryn that seem to never die when you use IG laser guns on them) that do not go down after several soldiers shooting at them while they're one shotting every troops of yours.
Without mentionning those enemies that once you finally put them down will immediately espawn into a stronger enemy, and that sometime will respawn another stronger enemy after being re-killed.
At least the Chimeras provide some good firepower, better than the SM Rhinos.

Anyways, Imperial Guard really is playing differently than the other factions in 40k/Rosigma, what were normal enemies with SM or Sisters are now near boss-levels encounter with everyone one-shotting even your best troopers while they all seem so incredibly resistant to your shots.

Got a cultist ritual missions, and it was probably the hardest mission i ran through (out of the chaos terminators trashing my space marines base).
For this mission i had researched the Armor Column (i did the Mid-Tier research already and moved to Chapter 2 of the game) to replace my Chimeras , it's again 3 vehicles, one has some heavy MG and the other 2 have big cannons (they're great to open large sections of walls from a building).

didn't managed to clear the ritual building fast enough and they got some chaos reinforcement.
And amongst them, 2 Neverborns ... but their weakness to fire was not a rumour, as while they took cannons and heavy MG shots without flinching, my flamers finished them off quicker than i thought.

But overall the mission was horrible, 19 of my soldiers were killed, all my high ranked officers despite their extra shielding got destroyed by all the silly weapons the AI had in that missions, and there was only ordinary / semi-strong enemies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 01:31:35 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: July 13, 2022, 01:51:57 pm »

Rosigma 1.08D is released

Spoiler: changelog (click to show/hide)
Interesting hotkeys for the deployment preview : CTRL + W (in qwerty, in other keyboard the letter may be another) allow to teleport a soldier to your cursor.
Excellent to reposition quickly your troops inside the vehicles.

Then pressing the evac button should save the new positionning (until you have different troops or change the transport ship), while the end turn button simply exit the deployment preview without saving it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: July 14, 2022, 02:54:24 am »

I believe X-Piratez for the most parts has missions targeted by craft not expiring while targeted. But certain missions (namely terror missions and aircar races) intentionally do expire while targeted.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: July 14, 2022, 09:43:05 am »

Yeah, and there's a pedia entry letting you know about that too.

That's the main thing that still feels really rough about rosigma - the pedia is still quite limited, with a number of tech tree items not having even any entry at all.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 153