Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blind hammer squad?  (Read 921 times)

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind hammer squad?
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:50:08 pm »

So, my brave force of hammerlords managed to retake the first cavern layer, previously occupied by a giant shrike and its rot-vomit-pain dust. They were successful in their crusade, but were inflicted by a full body rot. The medical staff managed to cut away the tissue, and they seem to be doing just fine (besides from the series of full body scars). However, now that the wounds have scarred over, they have all lost their vision. I'm guessing this is a permanent infliction, or will it heal over time?. Will this affect their ability to fight in anyway?
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Blind hammer squad?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »

From what I can tell, the only abilities affected would be civilian labours; they will see a massive drop in the quality of their goods.

If their eye-tissues have been removed, then they will probably not see again. Though they will not be spooked by wildlife anymore, and may not engage enemies because they can't see them.

I believe that blind marksdwarves see a drop in their ability to land shots, but that's based on stories from a much older version of DF.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:02:28 am »

If I remember correctly, blind marksdwarves fire in random directions.

However, since they will not be spooked by enemies as civilians, blind dwarves make the best siege weapon operators as that is a civilian job and normally results in the crew abandoning their siege weapon when an enemy spooks them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:36:47 am »

As I remember it, blind soldiers are next to useless, since they can't target an enemy. They can counterstrike, but that's about it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:41:56 am »

Blind soldiers are awesome, in as much as you can control them directly. They dont go charging off at the first wild animal they see when they should be protecting the only entrance to your fort.
This is a blank sig.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:26:45 am »

I've also heard that blind melee dwarves will only engage an enemy once they have actually touched it.  After that they won't lose tracking of it.  I'm not sure if this means the enemy has to get the first strike in or just pass on the same tile. 

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:54:56 am »

However, since they will not be spooked by enemies as civilians, blind dwarves make the best siege weapon operators as that is a civilian job and normally results in the crew abandoning their siege weapon when an enemy spooks them.
I can imagine a mountain king order the blinding of several siege operators.
I wonder what the compensation would be, to willingly be blinded like that?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:36 am »

I forgot who it was, but some time ago there was someone actively advertizing the removal of eyeballs from all civilians.

Due to the fact that blind dwarfs can still flawlessly find bedrooms, workshops, food and drink, it's been concluded that most of the sensory input comes through the beard.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 09:03:37 am »

I forgot who it was, but some time ago there was someone actively advertizing the removal of eyeballs from all civilians.

Due to the fact that blind dwarfs can still flawlessly find bedrooms, workshops, food and drink, it's been concluded that most of the sensory input comes through the beard.

Which brings us to the next question...

Is it possible to remove the beard?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 09:48:10 am »

I think his name was Gaal.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:44 am »

What are you?? Some kind of monster??

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »

I think his name was Gaal.

Still couldn't find the posts, but it could have been Loud Whispers
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 05:28:37 pm »

Here is what the world looks like through a blind dwarf's eyes beard:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, everything is gray, and he can't explore the map. I doubt he can see an enemy. (this was my adventurer)
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »

What are you?? Some kind of monster??
A BLASPHEMER, that's what he is!!! Removing beards?!?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:17 pm »

Dedication can make even a blind marksman champion!
So i guess no problem with your hammer-ninjas.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: [1] 2