Homosexual
- 16 (4.7%)
Asexual
- 37 (10.8%)
I'm 12 and what is this?
- 9 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 338

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50

Author Topic: Sexuality poll: It's all just spores anyway.  (Read 69641 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sexuality: The pollening.
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2014, 02:42:20 am »

My argument was not that my strategy would be successful, but rather that it does not make me a bigot.

Allow me to invert those traits.  My partner must dislike firearms, and my partner must be at least agnostic.  This is exactly the same logical statement but for some reason you think it will improve my romantic success?

I am pretty fucking sure that my long-term happiness will be better determined by not dating people I don't want to date.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:44:40 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2014, 02:45:43 am »

The only hard and fast rule I have regarding who I won't date is that I won't date somebody that isn't a vegetarian. Mainly because I don’t want to live with somebody who eats meat if I can help it, due to it squicking me out, and nor do I want to make a partner give up their diet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2014, 02:47:20 am »

Which is why I said that there's nothing wrong with doing it aside from it being an ineffective strategy in most situations.

Also you didn't invert anything, the first is still exactly a negative statement, and the second is still expressly exclusionary.

But whatever, do what you want, I hope you buck the odds and it works out for you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2014, 02:49:29 am »

My argument was not that my strategy would be successful, but rather that it does not make me a bigot.

Allow me to invert those traits.  My partner must dislike firearms, and my partner must be at least agnostic.  This is exactly the same logical statement but for some reason you think it will improve my romantic success?

I am pretty fucking sure that my long-term happiness will be better determined by not dating people I don't want to date.
I was basically trying to say exactly that. You have your preferences, and that's okay. It may rankle some feathers on the people you reject outright, but hey, there's a lot of fish in the sea. (Funny note: I'm both a hardline atheist and have fired a gun. That should kill any future shipping between us. :P)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:27 am »

MaximimZero♤Vector

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:42 am »

Yeah, there's a difference, if you make just a seemingly random list of things or if it's things that are fundamentally important to you. A serious relationship with someone whose worldview is completely opposed to yours is very difficult to pull off.
For a fling it's basically enough if that someone doesn't annoy you too much, for a serious long-term relationship you have to be compatible in a lot of ways and be able to communicate very well.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:37 am »

I'm not going to go calling people bigoted for having a preference list, but I will reserve my right to say that it just isn't the best idea.

Date people you find attractive, by what ever traits you happen to find attractive in them. If you really is some qualifier that kills all romance for you then guess what, you have no need to put that trait on your list, because you are never going to actually be attracted to that person. Your instincts have you covered on this one. You already have a very comprehensive selection method to sort partners buried into your subconscious. If that process decides that it doesn't like people based on their gender, trans/cis status, accent, skin color, height, religion, what ever, then fine, that doesn't make you a bigot, but going to the trouble of making your own lists and checking them twice is just redundant.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:24 am »

the second is still expressly exclusionary.

Any "absolutely must have" will be expressly exclusionary.  It will be exclusionary of anyone who does not have that trait.

Let's play this game one more time: I have PTSD, and that does not make me a bigot, and not just that but it does not make me some wretch who no one will ever love.

Your instincts have you covered on this one. You already have a very comprehensive selection method to sort partners buried into your subconscious.

Right... that was all I meant.  When I exclude some partner, I try to ask myself what it was so I can understand myself better.  So, I have a list of things that generally do not make a person a winner, and it's not a list I manually check or something.  I don't go to a person and try to figure out if they fit the criteria or not.  I just have a pretty good idea of where not to go looking: Gunshows, Richard Dawkins fanclubs, etc.

Thanks for that!  I hadn't realized I wasn't coming across.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 13, 2014, 03:15:21 am »

Ah. You seem a lot less silly now :p

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 13, 2014, 03:17:59 am »

I don't know where ya'll are coming coming from arguing with Vector about how she chooses a mate, but I would guess with 99% accuracy that she knows what she's doing, and exactly why she's doing it. I've dated someone with a personality quite alike to hers in the past and trust me when I say she's not going to have any trouble once she finds the one she wants. And she'll leave a lot a of people jealous to boot...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 13, 2014, 03:18:14 am »

Right... that was all I meant.
So you are just innately not attracted to people with a cultural background similar to that already present in your family... Vector you are one weird kid.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 13, 2014, 03:24:52 am »

Vector you are one weird kid.

And you're not?

We all are...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 13, 2014, 03:36:28 am »

This is one of those times that I'm happy that I'm not in the dating pool anymore. Dating is a pain in the ass.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 13, 2014, 03:44:36 am »

MZ's got nothing on me and my never being part of the dating pool in the first place. =w~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2014, 03:46:15 am »

Can you explain that emoticon-like thing to me please.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 50