Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifactory: How to create awesome artifacts (most of the time)  (Read 11266 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Re: Artifactory: How to create awesome artifacts (most of the time)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 03:31:23 pm »

Also you can add that Dwarf Therapist has a sort by highest moodable skill option which makes it quick and easy to see what your potential moods are.

This lets you prioritize the training of dwarfs with useless moods. It also helps to be selective in your training of certain types. For example I make all my craftdwarfs/masons/miners/engravers the same dwarfs... thus limiting the amount of crappy artifacts I get.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:02:34 pm »

I could be wrong, but I thought moody dwarves didn't need fuel for forges (non-magma ones).
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 07:57:50 pm »

I could be wrong, but I thought moody dwarves didn't need fuel for forges (non-magma ones).
They don't, but apparently (I've never tested) if a magma forge runs out of magma/power during artifact creation then the mood immediately fails. Clarification anyone?

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »

My current fort has a population of 80 and has manafactured 80 artifacts. Most of them were steel armour and weapons. Ive deliberately not tried to mine adamantite yet at this fort.

Dwarven preferences for items and materials have strong effects on the outcome of strange moods. However, it is my experience, that if your fort never smelts a copper (as an example) producing boulder then a dwarf with a preference for copper can be made to use steel by having any traded copper bars/melted goblinite forbidden (my choice of methods for controlling artifact material which some people also consider cheating/exploity). However if you smelt a copper boulder (ie tetrahedrite), your dwarf with a preference for copper will absolutely insist on using copper (even if you dont have any on hand) BARRING the availability of adamantite (which it seems everyone will use if on hand and not forbidden regardless of material preferences. Initially the forbidding was done by a blanket designation over stockpiles but now I use the stocks menu.

So far I do all my moodable skill training manually examining every dwarf and picking a skill based on his preferences and my desired outcome for him and then manually assigning a labour and manually adding jobs at the forge until training is complete. All non masterwork stuff then gets melted.

I do need to get into using profiles/managers, that trick with the repeating job and setting skill levels would alleviate a lot of tedium.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:47 pm »

Examining preferences and choosing your artifact ahead of time sounds like a lot of work, but the reward may very well be worth it.
The problem is that I am too lazy to do things like that :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 [2]