Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is

no poll
anymore :]

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43

Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom! (always recruiting)  (Read 68701 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom! (always recruiting)
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2014, 07:45:17 am »

What difficulty are you playing at, btw? X-Com was never particularly easy, but if you're playing on Veteran the OpenXCom version is going to be murder. And.. living quarters constructed. You should have been getting your first laser pistols by now. Or have them in research at the least. Granted, I play on Experienced mostly, but I don't think that alters research times. (I also get an extra 10 scientists first thing I can. Maybe that has something to do with it.)
The more scientists you put on a project the faster it completes, right?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2014, 08:19:16 am »

Okay. So.

You know that massive list of recruits I have? Yeah, we're gonna need more.
Oh holy god, just how much harder is OpenXcom? .___________.

There was a tiny, persistent bug in the original XCom that made the game play on Beginner regardless of the actual difficulty level you set it to. Sidebar anecdote: this is why Terror From the Deep is so immediately and soul-crushingly difficult compared to the first game: all the XCom1 players bemoaned how easy even the hardest level of the first game was, so the dev team ramped it up several notches... and also fixed the aforementioned bug, though they didn't connect the dots on that until the damage was done.

But back on topic, OpenXCom tragically doesn't have that sly lil' bug to make the aliens keep the kid gloves on and play nice. So yeah. You're not playing on Beginner any more. Hope you can ramp up your gang'o'shlups' proficiency quick-like. Or that you think your spines look better on the outside of your bodies. That works too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:26:54 am by E. Albright »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2014, 08:22:59 am »

What difficulty are you playing at, btw? X-Com was never particularly easy, but if you're playing on Veteran the OpenXCom version is going to be murder. And.. living quarters constructed. You should have been getting your first laser pistols by now. Or have them in research at the least. Granted, I play on Experienced mostly, but I don't think that alters research times. (I also get an extra 10 scientists first thing I can. Maybe that has something to do with it.)

Also, ouch. You really should have put your base somewhere more populated. Antarctica is not a good spot for detecting UFOs, which is what gets you the easier crashsite missions to train troops and get loot.

Also also, which options did you select? You never did post that screenie...
Playing on the second difficulty setting, whatever it is.
I do have 20 scientists, and they're working on laser pistols now. Since I still have no alloys or alien artifacts to research, its not like they can do much else.
Base is in Japan, not Antarctica. Not sure where you got that idea.
I will post the options next time I'm on the computer.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2014, 08:33:48 am »

Hmm... I must be confusing LPs. Brain needs coffee badly.

And the second is Experienced, which is the same I play. So I guess you're just running into terrible luck. I lose at most half my team on the early UFO crash missions - but your first one mostly went to pot because you couldn't see the aliens, which I guess kinda exacerbated the current situation.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2014, 08:43:24 am »

~~A couple days later~~

As the cleanup crew shifted through the remains of Calcutta, a lone man arrived on the scene. Dressed in a labcoat, he smelled faintly of smoke and alchohol, a sure sign of being from X-Com's R@D team to those who knew of it. After a few moments, he began slowly walking to a certain pile of rubble and began to dig. As the hours passed, the scientist continued laboring without rest, until he eventually found his goal. A single tape recorder, its outer casing melted, but remarkeably still functional. In his excitement, the scientist quickly turned it over, and with the aid of a screwdriver, managed to flip the power switch back into the ON position.

"*FZZZ* W3 *CZRZ* -CAN RE(3UI1D HIM! WE H@VE THE TE(HN0LO6Y! *FZZZCZZZ*"

Name: Broomy Mcbucket (Prototype Model II Heavy Weapons Test Type)
Preferences: Anything that explodes
Bio: After miraculously surviving its first mission and even getting a kill in the disastrous Calcutta battle, Project Buckethead has been granted the honor of becoming an official X-COM project under the lead of Dr. Web. Based upon the records of Calcutta, it was decided that the next model of Broomy would be designed to focus upon explosive weaponry. To aid in this, a frame simulating shoulders has been attacked to the broom, directly above the first set of rods. A set of simple pistons and springs have also been added to the rods making up its "legs" in order to promote stability. In addition, its database of quotes has been updated to include a wider range of famous quotes from more movies along with some video games and a megaphone has been taped next to the device in order to alleviate some of the complaints regarding the original Broomy's audio quality. However this has had the unfortunate side effect of the new model sounding as if he was ALWAYS SHOUTING.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:56:25 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:57 am »

Hmm... I must be confusing LPs. Brain needs coffee badly.

And the second is Experienced, which is the same I play. So I guess you're just running into terrible luck. I lose at most half my team on the early UFO crash missions - but your first one mostly went to pot because you couldn't see the aliens, which I guess kinda exacerbated the current situation.
Speaking of an exacerbated situation, that Skyranger I lost contained just about every piece of equipment we owned. All the medical kits, all the stun rods, all the weapons. We're down to maybe an autocannon and a rocket launcher, plus spare clips for some weapons.

Thank goodness laser pistols are almost done researching, because I think we're gonna need them ._.

@ E Albright: I used a patch that (supposedly) fixed that bug, and I was playing on the same difficulty level.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:51 pm »

Eh, this is most likely doomed, but hey, should be FUN!

Name: Jack Ripper
Preferences:Whatever is handy
Bio:After the disaster in Calcutta, the situation has turned dire enough that any measure has become acceptable. To that end, Project RIPPER has been approved, a cloning preogram of the most violent serial killers in history, whith the hopes of channeling the violence against the invaders...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2014, 05:20:55 pm »

Name: Overalls Magee
Prefrences: What do you think?
Bio: Above^
Crack-a-lack-a

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2014, 07:11:30 pm »

We're down to maybe an autocannon and a rocket launcher, plus spare clips for some weapons.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »

What if we just took nothing but tanks on the next mission and blasted everything? I think it'd work. 1 tank is obviously not enough.

EDIT: Also requesting my name be changed to Spehss Mahreen once I'm recruited. I suck at names, mkay.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:29:14 pm by Mr Space Cat »
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

HissinhWalnuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a deep dislike of the natural world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2014, 08:27:58 pm »

I'm fairly certain you need atleast 1 foot soldier.
Crack-a-lack-a

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2014, 08:32:24 pm »

Still if we last long enough to get a better transport 2 or even 3 tanks may not be a bad idea. After all Heinz Guderian once said:

"If we're going to kill the aliens we need tanks, tanks and rockets." [Citation needed]

For the moment though we're stuck with one tank I'd say.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:34:57 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:08 am »

Name: Colby "Redshirt" Jackson
Everything else: Like I'll live long enough to matter
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2014, 12:02:14 am »

Richard "Woody" Johnson

Look, just give him the biggest gun possible.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2014, 09:50:02 am »

The skyranger is a perfectly good transport.

And really, it was just a tough mission.  Just remember, Cyberdisks are very resistant to explosives.  One easy mission and things will be fine.  I don't remember the alien OOB exactly, but there was probably only one guy there capable of doing the mind-control thing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 43