Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is

no poll
anymore :]

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43

Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom! (always recruiting)  (Read 68796 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense! (always recruiting)
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »

Problem is, the OpenX-COM page says it does not work with modded copies of Classic-COM. Which includes copies with xcom-util applied. Any way to "fix" this?
No. Just reinstall a clean X-Com copy from wherever you got it, and point the installer to that location.
(I mean really, the game's like a few megabytes in size. Not hard to keep a backup. Or redownload.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:22:22 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense! (always recruiting)
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2014, 03:22:28 pm »

@Sean: Maybe? I remember I had to do that, but that was a while ago and I think I remember some mention that they just made it already apply the data patch because that was a rather common issue.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom! (always recruiting)
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »

Okay! I think I managed to get Open XCOM installed correctly. It's running, at any rate.

I probably won't be updating today since my schedule is more than a little screwed up at the moment. But we'll see.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2014, 04:58:53 pm »

Okay! I think I managed to get Open XCOM installed correctly. It's running, at any rate.

I probably won't be updating today since my schedule is more than a little screwed up at the moment. But we'll see.
Don't forget the Nightly Build. Keeping up-to-date on those isn't really necessary, but grabbing one for the first install is a must. Lots of additions and bugfixes.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »

I cannot seem to do this. How u install?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2014, 05:32:41 pm »

Do you have the original game on your hard drive? Seems OpenXcom uses some assets from the classic game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2014, 05:33:36 pm »

Step 1: Procure an unmodified, up-to-date copy of X-Com. Steam is a good source.
Step 2: Download the 0.9 stable build.
Step 2b: Download the latest nightly build from a page linked on that page.
Step 3: Run the installer. After asking for the install directory, it will ask to point it to the X-Com copy you have. If you have a standard version, like from Steam, GOG, or maybe Desura (I've no idea which services other than Steam still have it), it will likely detect the copy automatically. If not, you will need to manually point it to the directory.
Step 3b: If you run Windows and have downloaded the nightly build, extract and copy it over the OpenXCom installation.

Done! If you got the Steam version of X-Com, you might want to change the desktop shortcut to use the Steam icon for the game, as it is, in my opinion, prettier. But other than that, the game's ready to go.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2014, 05:41:42 pm »

Step 1: Procure an unmodified, up-to-date copy of X-Com. Steam is a good source.
Step 2: Download the 0.9 stable build.
Step 2b: Download the latest nightly build from a page linked on that page.
Step 3: Run the installer. After asking for the install directory, it will ask to point it to the X-Com copy you have. If you have a standard version, like from Steam, GOG, or maybe Desura (I've no idea which services other than Steam still have it), it will likely detect the copy automatically. If not, you will need to manually point it to the directory.
Step 3b: If you run Windows and have downloaded the nightly build, extract and copy it over the OpenXCom installation.

Done! If you got the Steam version of X-Com, you might want to change the desktop shortcut to use the Steam icon for the game, as it is, in my opinion, prettier. But other than that, the game's ready to go.
Woot! I was trying to run it with the DOS version I transferred from floppy disk a long-ass time ago. Turns out, I had to just install the CD version and use that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2014, 12:29:43 pm »

By the by, shall we vote on which extended settings we use, or will you just go with whichever feels best? (obviously the latter is more important, but still) Maybe just a few ones you're unsure about?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:32 pm »

Nope to voting. I'm keeping it fairly vanilla with a few common-sense additions, so nothing like range-based accuracy or hyper-aggressive aliens that dramatically change gameplay. If you wish, I can post screenies of the options I selected next time I have computer access.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »

I'd just really like to vote for tilted globe lighting, and the two aircraft-related options - forcing to takeoff, and airborne transfer. Besides that (and whichever other options you consider common-sense), keeping it vanilla will be good. ^_^

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2014, 12:51:10 pm »

I'd just really like to vote for tilted globe lighting, and the two aircraft-related options - forcing to takeoff, and airborne transfer. Besides that (and whichever other options you consider common-sense), keeping it vanilla will be good. ^_^
I'm pretty sure both aircraft options have been selected (because they make sense), but I'm not sure what the point with the globe lighting is. As far as I can tell, the light level on the geoscape as little or nothing to do with the light level on the battlefield, so...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2014, 12:59:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure both aircraft options have been selected (because they make sense), but I'm not sure what the point with the globe lighting is. As far as I can tell, the light level on the geoscape as little or nothing to do with the light level on the battlefield, so...
Well, the night/day may be binary, but tilted lighting changes which areas have night at a given time. It really just looks prettier, too, starting out with permanent night on the north pole in January, and permanent day in Antarctica, and gradually shifting as the seasons change, days longer or shorter due to how the lighting works, etc. It's just neat.

edit: I.e. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_length
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:06:06 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2014, 11:36:28 pm »

Yes, I get how axial tilt works. I do not require a Wikipedia article ಠ_ಠ

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2014, 11:43:19 pm »

Brite lite shine on rock. Dis day. Den, brite lite not shine on rock. Dark. Dis nite. Den, brite lite shine on rock again! Dis new day!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43