Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lumbering Man  (Read 2083 times)

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lumbering Man
« on: January 03, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »

Did any of you ever see one of those creatures called lumbering man? I couldn't find anything on the wiki, but they were living in a sand hill.....

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lumbering Man
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 07:46:01 pm »

Sounds like a breed of Night Troll. They're randomly generated and can have names ranging from embarassing to a-name-to-run-away-from-really-fast. I'd say this example scored a 7 out of ten.  Does their name fit their appearance?
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 08:23:35 am »

I don't really know what lumber means, cause english isn't my first language, but they were very fast, and they could leap on me to attack me, which i haven't oberved anywhere before. Haven't checked what they look like sadly

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:57:14 am »

What was their size?
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:02 am »

The names don't match the creature. I got emaciated freak once.

blazing glory

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »

I don't really know what lumber means, cause english isn't my first language, but they were very fast, and they could leap on me to attack me, which i haven't oberved anywhere before. Haven't checked what they look like sadly

lumber is another word for wood

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:41:52 pm »

lumber is another word for wood

Lumbering is a type slow, awkward way of moving. I guess it's a way of saying a person moves like they are wooden.

I once had a 'narrow man' that was described as being fat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:58:57 am »

Are there any tricks to finding lairs before you embark in fort mode?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:56 pm »

The only way I can think of is finding the place in adventure mode first. I remember noticing lairs around human towns when I decided to build a stairway to hell in a world I used for adventuring.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »

I thought lairs showed up with volcanos, rivers, and sites, but I'm likely wrong.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:12 pm »

I thought lairs showed up with volcanos, rivers, and sites, but I'm likely wrong.

Caves can, but only if you set them to be visible through Advanced World Generation. In the standard world generation they are always hidden by default.

If I want to find a lair, I usually just make an adventurer and travel from town to town, spamming everyone in the village for surrounding lairs. Though it is possible to embark on a lair without having the faintest clue it's there. I once embarked in a haunted forest for a challenge, and ended up having my starting seven devoured by an undead wyvern (a modded dragon variant).

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 05:37:43 pm »

I once had a 'narrow man' that was described as being fat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lol, I once had a 'narrow man' too.

Anyway, yeah. Those things with weird names that follow the pattern of "evil adjective-beast name" or something of the like, like Vile Woman or Shadow Hag, are just the Night Trolls described on the wiki. Humorously, they seem to generate with houses that look like really friggin' twisted cottages, if cottages were built in caves or in holes.

Funny story: once, I was sent to kill an especially bad one of these guys by a lady. I only had like three dudes with me and he broke my shoulder. I decided to abandon him for another lord quest, and was sent to kill a titan. I gathered a small army, killed that titan, another titan, and a dragon.

Then I returned, because I had an old score to settle.

(Btw, the little exclamation point does not indicate martial trance.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 01:24:13 pm »

Are there any tricks to finding lairs before you embark in fort mode?
Legends viewer, although it indicates the region tile, not the local tile (I think)
I tried to embark on a hydra lair once to capture it, so I selected the entire region tile. This made my game crash..