Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Forum atmosphere  (Read 10432 times)

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forum atmosphere
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:05:59 pm »

After wandering some time on other forums I could not help but notice the different atmosphere present on other forums. The most obvious difference seems to be the abundance of raging, spam, trolling and an oddly large number of opinions not backup up by fact or reason. This is accompanied by an army of moderators trying to keep everything in check (and surprisingly often abusing the power).

Of course I do not want to sound elitist, but the atmosphere seems to be way more relaxed here.

So how do these forums keep so relatively free from rage, troll and spam with only Toady and Threetoe as moderators?
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Forum atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:09:35 pm »

*in before angry comments about feel-good circle jerks
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:10:43 pm »

We have a working maturity filter.
To play DF long enough to become interesting in the forums requires some degree of intelligence and patience, meaning all the would be trolls and otherwise douchebags just give up to go play minceraft instead. You will find the same is true of any legitimately hard to go into game.

SCREW YOU! I WILL JERK THIS CIRCLE ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKY!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 09:12:06 pm »

Probably a combination of the nature of the first players when the forum was small, along with critical mass and a slow influx rate.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:13:04 pm »

Well for one thing, it's not a very big forum with only a few hundred regular members, and has a pretty subdued focus in the form of Dwarf Fortress and low-intensity gaming in general.  Also this-

But I suppose that's better than the alternative.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:14:08 pm »

I think we only have one or two mods anyway, so they can put their foot down when needed.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:20:59 pm »

It's probably that DF does attract players who are slightly more intelligent, patient and thoughtful than average. And kitchen spambots.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:37 pm »

Obviously a nice and respectful atmosphere (outside of the political threads, anyway) is a sign we're all circlejerking in an echochamber. Real maturity in discussion needs more arrogance and condescension, especially toward groups outside our own (especially especially toward niche cultures).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 09:23:57 pm »

It's probably that DF does attract players who are slightly more intelligent, patient and thoughtful than average. And kitchen spambots.

You would be surprised at the amount of forums I have seen those kitchen spambots, one even auto banned every user posting the word kitchen for a day.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 09:42:29 pm »

It probably helps that DF doesn't have PVP.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:45:01 pm »

I'unno Ogdi, some of those community or succession forts...

Though I guess that's less PvP than it is a communal effort to one-up the previous fellow's buggering...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 09:53:50 pm »

I can testify to the learning curve. Check out the ksp forums - it's not as nice as here, but the fact most people there are reasonably intelligent really helps.
Another thing is the niche. DF is very, very, niche - which means a very tight group of personalities and people are attracted to it and like minded people tend to get along. We (nearly) all share the same slightly twisted sense of humour, are mostly comfortable with mocking each other yet few people would be able to identify a flame war here (hint: look for long, methodical, logical posts gracefully dismembering someone else's argument). Not to mention nobody rants at the newbies. Gimmie a moment, there's a thread (and a post of Girlinhat's in particular) which perfectly summarises me.

Note: Oh almighty XANTALOPE (computer insists it is block caps), it now recognises Girlinhat's hat as a leader. Be... springy?
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:46 pm »

It probably helps that DF doesn't have PVP.
Oh god yes, competitive play is fuel for stupidity.
If Dwarf Fortress took the Bartle test it would be hard explorer, and explorers tend to be the right mix of pro-social and not too asinine. Granted we have our 'MAGMA! DORF! FUN!!!' moments, but all in all not too bad.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 09:59:18 pm »

Oh hey, I found the thread!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87991.0
Browse at your leisure - Girlinhat's post is some way down.
Also, we tend to be flexible, not to mention fond of being punny.
(obligitaryohgodwhathaveidone)
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »

SCREW YOU! I WILL JERK THIS CIRCLE ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE SKY!
You're going to need some good spices to jerk it well enough.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6