Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: You are King: New Realms: IC Thread  (Read 12738 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: You are King: New Realms: IC Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2014, 02:33:42 pm »

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! This feeble-minded, backwards incestuouus...

Meet with the damn Caravan Master

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »

After having removed his helmet, Anders flashed one of his best smiles at the Earl. He bowed deeply, before speaking in a polite tone.

"My lord, the Duke wishes to send you his best regards. Before moving on to the main reason for my coming, he desired to ask about the goings of the reconstruction in Greybend. Both the Duke and the Prince have the highest hopes that the county shall return to its pre-war prosperity with proper care. Is the process coming along without trouble?"

Ask about the reconstruction of Greybend. Evaluate the earl's stance about the Duke and his most humble messenger while listening to his reply.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2014, 03:51:09 pm »

"Very well, Steward, your request is granted for what it is, for your deeds have been nothing but commendable thus far. But remember, to come up with such ideas is but the Lord Steward's role, and it is for such that you occupy the position you now do. I look forward to you living up to the expectations you've set for yourself" the Dukes states, in concession.

He sighs, rising from the throne and starting to pace around the room "For now, however, there is much for us to deal with. On the sour front, those nobles who have been consorting with bandits and corsairs, not to mention the bandits and corsairs in and of themselves. Much more brightly, the peasantry's would be fortification enterprise, Stormport's expansion, and the nobles looking to expand their demesnes.

He pauses to stiffle a yawn "Why is the later positive, you might ask? Though I would not part with the burghers, a much more accessible option has recently presented itself, why, one of the Duchy's very problems: bandits and corsairs, though they cannot be made serfs, are certainly fit for bolstering the ranks of slaves the Lords need to expand the Duchy.

"Finally, I look forward to what you have to present in regards to the aforementioned issue of the city's expansion, that of the ducks and that of trade itself in the Duchy" he concludes, expectantly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:58:23 pm by Azthor »

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2014, 05:04:29 pm »

Jawyn bowed to the duchess and with a smile spoke again.

"Thank you for your time and your gracious decision to grant funds. I will do as you say regarding the trade as well. I am always at disposal of Prince and his ministers, not to mention people that I am loyal to in other ways."

He bowed again and left, taking Karas with him.

"As you saw, during discussions such as these, alcohol is not really necessary or wanted. an observation for the future, my lord."

Later that day with the treasurer...

One last thing Your Grace, I was authorized to get one more pound to revive market and trade of Whitehall by the Senechal, Lady Aria. I will leave the capital with money, before the knights get restless."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:09:22 pm by Ardas »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2014, 07:52:01 pm »

"I'm not your Lord, my dear baron," Karac offers, slipping the wine back into his tunic with a theatrical sigh. The glasses follow suit before he continues, "I do believe you outrank me, in most matters, Jawyn Landemourne."

The young man sweeps his hair away from his face as he keeps pace with the half-elf.

"I believe we should talk over dinner, my friend, after you finish your business."
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2014, 08:52:37 pm »

[...]
[6] The scribe, who is an actual soldier that had picked it up on the side, agrees to go along with you for your little meeting. Soon, the pair of you arrived at the meeting point: a small in on the side of the main road, surrounded by fields of wheat on all sides, and gently billowing smoke from what looks to be a village nearby. As you enter the inn, it looks to be fairly empty, save for a handful of souls looking to get a meal or a drink.

A man, looking to be rather world-worn, greets you as you move towards the bar, politely guiding you to his table. "Duchess Aria? Please, sit down and make yourself comfortable, there's much to discuss."[...]
Oh Traviath. Words will not soothe them. The prospect of a new land will. And we only need to assure them safety, and..well, we also have to assure they take up the belief we've been trying to propagate about 'keeping natural resources abundant and instead getting wood and such from other lands' for tourism but..

Aria made her way towards the table, "Of all places, I didn't expect here to be where we'd meet. Excuse my ideas on the matter but this is already comfortable beyond the point-though, may I know who I address?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2014, 09:57:09 am »

Meet with the damn Caravan Master
[2] The caravan master simply refuses to meet you

"My lord, the Duke wishes to send you his best regards. Before moving on to the main reason for my coming, he desired to ask about the goings of the reconstruction in Greybend. Both the Duke and the Prince have the highest hopes that the county shall return to its pre-war prosperity with proper care. Is the process coming along without trouble?"

Ask about the reconstruction of Greybend. Evaluate the earl's stance about the Duke and his most humble messenger while listening to his reply.

[3][?]"While it could be going better by far, it is atleast rebuilding. And while the duke and I would certainly have our differences, especially over the war that sundered his dynasty's grand duchy into many smaller realms, I will still bid you to send my regards to him."

"Very well, Steward, your request is granted for what it is, for your deeds have been nothing but commendable thus far. But remember, to come up with such ideas is but the Lord Steward's role, and it is for such that you occupy the position you now do. I look forward to you living up to the expectations you've set for yourself" the Dukes states, in concession.

He sighs, rising from the throne and starting to pace around the room "For now, however, there is much for us to deal with. On the sour front, those nobles who have been consorting with bandits and corsairs, not to mention the bandits and corsairs in and of themselves. Much more brightly, the peasantry's would be fortification enterprise, Stormport's expansion, and the nobles looking to expand their demesnes.

He pauses to stiffle a yawn "Why is the later positive, you might ask? Though I would not part with the burghers, a much more accessible option has recently presented itself, why, one of the Duchy's very problems: bandits and corsairs, though they cannot be made serfs, are certainly fit for bolstering the ranks of slaves the Lords need to expand the Duchy.

"Finally, I look forward to what you have to present in regards to the aforementioned issue of the city's expansion, that of the ducks and that of trade itself in the Duchy" he concludes, expectantly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[?] No nobles seemingly take up the offer, leaving with no information on if the bandits connections...

[6] The nobles happily acquiesce to that condition, somewhat stepping up their patrols when they receive word of it. However, some of the peasants and burghers start complaining a few days later, claiming that the nobility is kidnapping people under the pretext that they are bandits...

[6] Your scouts leave, and after a week or so, do not report back. While a few have their suspicions, a few rumours have it that some of the nobles managed to capture the scouts, imprisoning them. Getting the maps and locations from the scouts would be a fairly difficult task...

[1] The recent search for the pirates goes badly, many of the informers and scouts sent ending up dead or never heard from again. What's worse is that this action has seemingly put the pirates in action: Reports filtering in that a few ships have already been attacked in response...

[-] The instructor gracefully accepts your offer of employment, and the other remark that they will be in the area for the year atleast.

[-] The peasantry thank you for allowing them to do so, along with the leave from military service for the year. They say that the fortification should be ready by the start of winter.

[-] The steward nods, and requests the manor be outside in the countryside in order to properly work his pan. He also requests around 4 pounds to improve the state of the city's infrastructure, along as fixing the outer wall to accommodate more housing in the city, before getting on with explaining his plan.

"Very well my liege, I shall explain them in earnest, and I thank you for your generosity. Now, while trade is a very good way to increase our income, it does rely on things to trade, and we lack the rich mineral deposits of the mountains, and the rich furs and fine timbers of the east. While acquiring some of these goods would be profitable, they would neither be under your control, and take a while to get here to trade off into foreign markets by our merchants. Now, before I continue, how familiar are you with the silk trade?" He says, interested in your response.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2014, 10:04:21 am »

Aria made her way towards the table, "Of all places, I didn't expect here to be where we'd meet. Excuse my ideas on the matter but this is already comfortable beyond the point-though, may I know who I address?"
"Who I am, is unimportant, and so is who sent me here. Atleast at the moment. So, what brings you to the table today milady?" The supposed bandit said gruffly, leaning back onto his chair.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:08:06 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2014, 11:47:10 am »

The Duke stands before the gathered nobility "Though there is precedent for this, nor is there precedent for the heinous crimes this gathered body has committed in the past few weeks, against this land's populace and against their own. That said, I am left no choice but to answer as is appropriate; as you wish to have greed cloud your better judgement, then very well, I shall acquiesce".

The Duke pauses to recite the usual oath of suzerainty "By the earth and sky, the heart and hand, I will to thee be faithful and true, according to the laws of the gods and the order of the world.  I shall hold to thee as thou deservest it, shall treat with thee on grounds of justice, equity and protection, and in return you shall not with will or action, through word or deed, do anything which is unpleasing to me".

And then, in sequence, that of vassalage "By the earth and sky, the heart and hand, I will to my lord be faithful and true, and love all that he loves and shun all that he shuns, according to the laws of the gods and the order of the world.  Nor will I ever with will or action, through word or deed, do anything which is unpleasing to him, on condition that he will hold to me as I deserve it, and that he will perform everything as it was in our agreement when I submitted myself to him and chose his will".

"I am bound by oath to treat you justly and protect you as your suzerain, as you are bound to follow my commands unless the day should ever come I break with these tenets. However, not only am I also bound to protect those peasants and burghers you've wronged, that guarantee only extends so far as your honor" he notes.

"Though even now, that many of you have broken with your ancient oaths, I shall still not breach this contract of vassalage, I remind you that to grant claims upon a vassal's land to another of my vassals is entirely within my rights, even were I not wronged, specially if me and this entire Duchy have been wronged"

"That said, I hereby grant a claim on the perpetrators' lands to any landed noble who can and will prove their neighbor's involvement in this sordid affair; any who fail to confess for their crimes before me, within the week, and are later indicted by their neighbors, shall, as they seek to deny the Duke's justice, be bereft of said justice and left to their neighbor's whims".

"Those of you who have done no wrong have nothing to fear, for they have nothing but my blessings; those who have taken part in this mockery of your ancestors have only until the end of the week to save your dynasty, or only so far as your neighbors are willing to have mercy upon your wretched selves".

"Rest assured, those who retrieve one of my missing scouts shall be most earnestly rewarded, if they took no part in this affair, or the most clemently judged, if they are among the perpetrators. For those of you have have unsettled feuds, or have long wished to expand your ancient family lands, I expect you to make the most out of this; warriors who'd honorably take land upon a formal claim are a boon to this Duchy; cowardly thugs who would kidnap peasants in the dead of the night, however, are a curse. Dismissed".
he says as he retakes his seat.

Wait a week and see whether any nobles show up with a captured scout, theirs or otherwise. Grant no claims, yet.
Likewise, wait a week before dispatching troops (two noble levy regiments) to deal with the corsair threat; allow them to get bolder so that they will be lured into complacency. If successful, take captives for interrogation.
Have nobles whom I personally know to be highly loyal to me try and determine which manor might be housing captured scouts, or even illegally enslaved peasants.

"Silk, you say? I am well aware of its value, and also of which, as it stands, we entirely import it from the far west, as opposed to producing it regionally. Likewise, I did not know those insects necessary could  be properly raised in one such a region; if, however, you claim that to be the case, I could easily see it as a worthwhile enterprise".

"Do proceed, I find myself highly interested in the possibility"
concludes the Duke.

Set aside 4 pounds for the city's expansion project.
Train leadership for the season, under instruction.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2014, 04:23:53 pm »

Anders arched an eyebrow and smiled (though that was hardly unusual) at the earl's news.

"Well, I am glad you have been able to start recovering despite the lack of support. If I remember well, the duchess of Severance was charged with covering the costs for the reparations - both due to her duty as your liege, and because of her new position in the king's council, but when I last was in the capital it seemed she has chosen to favor her own demesne first, as well as a few business ventures... Not to worry; I am certain she will eventually remember the prince's demands.

Whatever the case, I was not sent here to discuss economic reconstruction. When we were in court during the prince's crowning, we heard that you desired to gain independence from the duchess. The Prince originally acknowledged your request, but has since pulled his support. I wish to ask you, my lord - does your desire for freedom from the duchess's rule still stand?"

[Charisma] After mentioning (truthfully!) that the duchess of Severance has not paid for any of the rebuilding in the county, despite being told to do so by the Prince, imply she chose instead to choose ventures favoring her more, in order to make the earl dislike her.

Ask if the earl still wants to have his independence from the duchess.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:11 pm »

Still at the council...

"More importantly, my liege, I believe your steward has made a made a mistake in their accounting of the treasury. It bolsters not thirty four pounds, but twenty five, unless you'd rather take a loan, which I must strongly advise against. That three pounds were assigned to that dwarven mercenary, one to your vassals and eight to the raising of retinues means that, between the investment budget and the amount you wished set aside as a reserve, we only count thirteen pounds, as opposed to twenty two pounds".

"Overall, though the actual reserves would have been seven pounds, rather than the two you expect, were the treasury's original state that of thirty four pounds, as it stands, I require for you to choose between two budgets in the reserve and eleven set aside for investments, or sacrificing the reserve for a greater amount dedicated to investments".

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2014, 07:31:15 pm »

The hustle and bustle of a growing city was music to Verin's ears. The levies had even arrived, and this would lead to the next phase of Verin's plan to restoring the flow of commerce through the kingdom.

"My people, you have been asking yourselves why I put forth the call for the levies. The answer is simple. You live upon this land, you work upon this land, you know this land. As such I must ask you to do for me, a great service. Bandits plague our lands, and they hamper the regrowth of our once magnificent city. I know many of you likely have family that turned to banditry, and I do not wish to spill the blood of my countrymen.
I seek a peaceful resolution to the troubles of our land, and as such I would ask that anyone among you who may have seen anything, or suspect they know where any of these bandits make their camp, come forward that we may approach them in peace and ask them to stand down. The civil war has ended, let there be no more fighting."

Consult with the levies as to the local area, learn about where bandits may be using as a base, discretely surveil said locations.

---------
At the gates of Ciall:
The manor guards look over Lord Vytas, doing their best to straighten up while they do so.
"G'day your lordship. You cans just head on in. I'll announce yas to the Earl."

A few moments later, you have been announced by the rather boorish, country fellow who was manning the door. The Earl is seated at a table, indulging in a large midmorning repast. He smiles cheerfully at you and indicates a place at his table.
"Surely you are in need of refreshment. Come, join me Lord Vytas."
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »

Lord Vytas entered with the swish of silks and the jangle of golden jewelry. He bowed low at the other end of the chamber before taking a chair at the table. The fare was picked over and a plate of the fine food was selected by him after quiet contemplation of each object upon it.

"Thank you for your generosity, dear Earl, and I must compliment you on your fine sense of taste." The young man is all smiles after he takes a dainty bite of bacon. He slips a napkin from his sleeve and wipes at the edges of his mouth, before his attention turns towards the Earl. With a draining smile, he leans his chin upon his fist and his tone slips into something more official.

"Unfortunately, I've come to do business at this moment, and can't quite enjoy it as well as I should."

"I have a suggestion, you see, one that would benefit both of us immensely. I've noticed that your Earldom is in the process of...reconstruction? Rebuilding? But I've been hearing tell, rumors and hear-say, that pirates are on the prowl just outside of your ports, ready to pillage and plunder any ships that seek trade."

"I intend to bring those pirates to heel. And then, quite simply hang them by the chain I intend to tame them with. Of course, your help would be appreciated, but not needed, if you find my manner to forward."

A wolfish smile finds its way to his lips as he looks up at the Earl from his plate of carefully selected food.

"Of course, I've been much more forward in my time."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »

"Ah yes, the matter of piracy." Verin dabbed lightly at his chin with a napkin before continuing. "It is of course a pressing concern, though admittedly I did not intend to address it as yet."

Piercing a small piece of fish with his fork and nibbling at its edges, Verin continued speaking "There is little chance of actually acquiring any trade contracts oversea, until the pirates have been dealt with. I could send out messengers but they would receive the same answer. It is too risky. Do you perchance know if these pirates make their home on our shores? If so they may be easier to deal with.

As it stands however, I am working towards eradicating the bandits upon land. In that way at least trade can flow through the kingdom. But I'm more than happy to listen to your plan. To win a victory for trade in even one city, will give us more resources to use in other places."

But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:22 pm »

The young man sets his fork upon the plate and drapes a napkin over the entire thing. His spindly fingers toy with the handle of a dinner knife, twirling it upon the napkin, his eyes seeming dull for the briefest of moments.

"My plan is simple. I'll play the part of a scout, you see, a diplomat or lost knight of some sort on a sailing expedition. I'm leaning towards playing as some silly little heir of yours who has gotten captured. Someone who would be ransomed back for a pittance and a penny after learning the pirate's place of haven. Then you can strike, or we could sell this information to someone wishing to show off for my dear brother. The Duke of Severance, perhaps."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15