Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46

Author Topic: ☼Cathedral☼ - Curious Underground - 2000 units down. Looking for Overseers!  (Read 49546 times)

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Cathedral☼
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 05:07:44 pm »

Meph it looks in the screenshots like truetype font is working with rendermax?  Is that the new version at work?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »

Added jimboo to the list of overseers.
Added dohon to the list of dwarves. Military, so far no spot free... you have to wait.

kamikazi1231: No, I actually did take 2 screenshots and put them together.  I played with TTF, found candy on lvl 33, thought thats amazing enough for a rendemax screenshot, because the spire sticks out of the ground in the cavern, so I rebooted the game with rendermax and ttf off.

Grimmash: I can only upload the the current save I have, from mid-summer.

I will try to do a bit of writing today, but modding takes priority. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 06:03:31 pm »

...Yikes.  With that many creatures on-site and the fourth overseer position, I'm not sure that a week will be enough for my computer to actually RUN a year of the fortress.

Still want to give it a shot.  I'm thinking 'Orders Militant'.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:34 pm »

FPS is ~100 atm. Only half of the number are undeads, the other are below the you-know-what. And only 10 are in sight for the dwarves.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2014, 06:26:25 pm »

I would like a turn. I would also like to get dorfed.

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2014, 07:13:06 pm »

This promises to be epic. Would you dorf me? Make me a hunter/hivekeeper.

kamikazi1231

• Bay Watcher
  • Meddler of Raws
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2014, 07:23:54 pm »

Very cool Meph.  I may try to get a few rendermax shots on my turn as well.  When it's my turn I will also update my post on the first few pages with a link to the page my turns story is on.  This might help seeing as I'll probably be many many pages into the thread.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2014, 08:41:52 pm »

"Meph."
'I must keep in control. They must not know. I am their leader.'
"Meph?"
'I will not abandon them like before. I cant let more blood flow through my hands.'
"MEPH!"
"Mh?"
"Are you even listening?"
"Ehm... yeah.. I... what is it?"
"We are here. This is the valley the nuns described. Two rivers - you can clearly see them under the snow. Our journey has ended."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"No, my friend. Our journey has only just begun."

And thus the dwarves arrived. 11 in number, packed with just very few food and drinks, not realizing that their location would only offer them ice instead of water. Plants hidden under snow, no seeds to plant. But they would not suffer, as a butchery is quickly build and oxen are no longer needed.

And just then, before the pick could strike the earth, before the axe could strike the wood... on the very founding of Hammerabbey, a miracle occured. The second that Meph opened the crates that hold the Ward of Armok, Armok himself showed through it. His power filled Meph, His voice commanded him, His will was clear: "NO LONGER SHALL YOU THIRST FOR CHAOS! NO LONGER SHALL YOU RAGE AND KILL! NO MORE DEATH THAT YOU BRING TO YOUR COMRADES!" And with these words a pain like a thousand suns entered Mephs body. His blood seemed to boil, every cell, every molecule splitting and rearanging itself. He did not dare to usher a word, did not dare to make a sound. He stood frozen over the immobile ward. The stoic, unmoving ward. It seemed to see him, watch him.

"Hey! Will you unpack that thing already?"
"What ... yeah, I... "
"Everything alright? You are sweating, despite the cold."
"No, nothing. Everything is alright."
'And thats just it. Everything will really be all right. I have a good feeling about this place.'

From afar it looked like any other dwarven camp. A wagon and some animals. One or two dwarves with weapons running around after confused animals. A clump of more confused animals, which seem to have accepted their fate. A woodcutter. A dwarf with a pick, who disappears underground. A few makeshift workshops, mostly tanner, butcher, leatherworks. Loom and Clothier, with silk for trading. Several woodcrafters and carpenters, erecting a wooden pallisade. Two architects, pondering over bridges for the two rivers...

It was a fine spring.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2014, 10:08:13 am »

Thats it, I am watching.

If any dwarves without living relatives or gods shows, please tell me. I may take them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 01:26:21 pm »

`Mc Muzz' Banikethbesh likes exploding catapult ammo, grand acid gem, piercing javelins, ...

"So... McMuzz, former Sergeant of the Third Ballista and Catapult Company, newly retired?"

My Cathedral incarnation might not have the lack of empathy that my Craftrazors incarnation has, but might I suggest that she is rather enthusiastic when it comes to dealing with heretics?

McMuzz: So, you know the heretics.  The ones that are at our gates.
McMeph:  No, you may not blow them up.
McMuzz: Ah, gotcha.
McMeph: Nor may you dissolve them in acid, pierce them with javelins, tear them with spinning saw blades nor any of the other horrible things you may have dreamed up.
McMuzz:  And may I ask why these restrictions against visiting the wrath of Armok and Gembish upon the unbelievers?
McMeph: They're here to trade with us.  We want to convert them to the faith, not to bloody gobbets.
McMuzz: Respectfully, I suggest that one's zeal to convert to the faith might be greatly improved by the knowledge that failure carries the risk of conversion of the second kind?  Also, I resent the implication that I would leave gobbets, bloody or otherwise, behind.  Bloody smears, charred craters, disquieting stains and or fine red mists perhaps, but I leave gobbets to the music loving twit.
McMeph: *Sigh* Please just get back to preparing for the damn Warlocks.

Looking at the other Dwarves, it looks like I share quite a few interests with McJaxey, our Healer's Guild dwarf.  In particular, a love of explosives.  However, we disagree on the subject of piercing vs broadhead javelins.  McMeph's love of burning makes three votes for fiery relations with heretics.
Of course, Big D of the 145's love of crude javelins makes him a natural enemy of both McMuzz and McJaxey.

McMuzz: Piercing can punch through armor and strike vital organs like nobodies business!
McJaxey: Broadheads can shear through limbs!
McMuzz: Good luck with that when dealing with heavy armor!
McJaxey:  Splint and I keep telling you, you just have to aim for the damn joints!
McMuzz: That music loving twit wouldn't know the first thing about it!  Piercing!
McJaxey: Broadhead!
Big D of the 145:  Hey, check out the javelins they are carrying.  Really interesting examples of primitive craftsmanship.
McMuzz & McJaxey: *Death glare*
McMeph: Oh just give it a rest already.  They're coming up on the hellfire mines.
McMuzz & McJaxey:  OooooOOOoooooh!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 02:16:39 pm by ThaMuzz »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:23 pm »

I should probably be quite at home in the archeology department, riding that fine line between respecting heretics and not wanting to be murdered and offered up to Armok by his fellow dwarfs.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 02:41:47 pm »

McMuzz: Piercing can punch through armor and strike vital organs like nobodies business!
McJaxey: Broadheads can shear through limbs!
McMuzz: Good luck with that when dealing with heavy armor!
McJaxey:  Splint and I keep telling you, you just have to aim for the damn joints!
McMuzz: That music loving twit wouldn't know the first thing about it!  Piercing!
McJaxey: Broadhead!
Big D of the 145:  Hey, check out the javelins they are carrying.  Really interesting examples of primitive craftsmanship.
McMuzz & McJaxey: *Death glare*
McMeph: Oh just give it a rest already.  They're coming up on the hellfire mines.
McMuzz & McJaxey:  OooooOOOoooooh!
Broadhead javelins are like throwable axes and piercing javelins are like throwable spears. Now, which is better, lopping limbs off or poking things with a sharp stick?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 02:48:27 pm »

Oh, I know that McMuzz is in the wrong.  She doesn't know that though.  Plus, Splint likes broadhead javelins, and McMuzz is starting to hate the music loving twit (Artillery vs. Infantry, plus envy is a hell of a thing)

McMuzz's Opinions of the starting 11:
Mc Marhgell: Not so good with people, little willpower and bad intuition.  Prime candidate for manipulation.
Big D the 145:  Scholarly sort.  Kind of a weirdo.  His interest in the heretics is... worrying.
The Old Ark: Bad a social relations, but has decent intuition and is a bit of a slacker.  Not good minion material.
Meg Helmet:  Someone to talk to!  Friendly and sincere, and knows about languages to boot.
Stormbuilder:  Good solid engineer, someone to talk to about the finer things in life (engines of war), but needs some managing (smart, creative, poor focus).  Appears to be agnostic on the piercing vs. broadhead debate, preferring thrown spears.  To each their own.
Mc Jaxey: A fellow aficionado of the explosion!  Prefers broadhead javelins for some reason.  Weirdo  :)  ::)
Grimmash:  B*tch eats bears!  Kind of hard not to respect that, even if she is a damn music lover.
Mc Meph:  My kind of priest!  Psycho knows the proper way to deal with heretics involves fire, and that the only music we need hear is the screams of burning heretics.
Splint:  Music loving, hair having, infantry twit!  Also, she likes broadhead javelins.  What.  A.  TWIT!
Sawgile:  Not all that good with conversation, but can carry a tune okay.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:26:11 pm by ThaMuzz »

ThaMuzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »

From the journal of McMuzz
First Entry
Faith.  Such a strange thing.  We are the firstborn, brought forth on this virgin world directly by the hands of Armok.  Faith in our maker should fill each of our hearts.  Yet it does not.
It is not just the heretics of the other races who lack Faith.  There are those among the dwarves in whom the light of Faith has grown dim, and even some where it has died entirely.
Why is this?  Why would Armok create us in such a fashion, that some would lose their Faith so easily?  The first generation has not even passed!  How is the heretic even possible?
I think I know the answer.  Armok is the God of Conflict and Blood, and his worlds are created to be wellsprings of these.  The heretic races exist so we might fight them, and pour forth a sea of Blood to Him.  The heretic dwarves exist so that we might fight ourselves, offering up sweet dissension and distrust to He who so loves Conflict.
There is one among us, a priest.  He is driven by some strange inner turmoil.  I think he thinks that it is hidden.
He plans to go out into the wilds and carve out a new settlement, a Fortress Cathedral to our great God.
I will follow him as a disciple.  The heretic races will come to us, and they will die, the ashes of their torn bodies to feed Armok's joy.  The heretic dwarves will come to us, to confuse us and turn us against one another.  This dissention to will please great Armok.
See my Faith, oh Armok!  See the Blood I spill for thee, see the Conflict I foster for thee!  See my joy in my place in this world thou hast created!  Delight in the cunning traps and the deadly artillery I shall craft for thy entertainment!  Blood for Armok!  Conflict for Armok!  Faith for Armok!

{Date pending updates by Meph}
Two days ago, we arrived in this frozen valley and began to unpack.  Things went well until a few minutes ago.
McMeph was unpacking a holy relic of great Armok, a ward I think, when he froze.  He starred at it dumbstruck for a time, as if in revelation.  When the trance ended, it was as if a veil was lifted.  The inner turmoil that had gripped him just moments before was gone!
Why Armok?  Why bring peace, of all strange and unwanted things, to one of your most Faithful?  Perhaps you have a plan for him, something that whatever demons gripped him would have hindered?  Yes, it must be that.  His affliction must have been so great that it would have crippled this endeavor before it can begin.

With one source of Conflict so abruptly resolved, I feel it is my duty nurture a new one.  There is one among us, named Splint.  I have decided that I shall hate her and make of her a nemesis.  Her skill at music and song far eclipses mine, so let be envy that drives me. 
Also, I overheard her speaking with Mc Jaxey about the merits of broadheaded javelins, which is obvious idiocy.  Why, I find that it might not be so hard to hate her as I had feared.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:21:07 pm by ThaMuzz »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2014, 05:48:53 pm »

Splint's Journal, [Date Pending]

Never did care for those damned artiliarists. While I have every respect for those who run the trebuchetes and heavy arbalests (because they actually stand their damned ground when the enemy is near!) catapult gunners like this McMuzz prat are  nothing but cowards. And he had the nerve to insult my preference for broadhead javelins! Half the time goblins and the like don't even know what anything more solid than a breast plate and a cap are, and even then most of what they bring are of inferior materials!

And besides, who says I have to like ammo for practicality? I just really like the broad business end of them.

But right now, all I want from that jerk is for him to do his job when my Crusaders need heavier support than what marksdwarves can provide.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46