Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Battle for Wesnoth: Haspen's Official Bay12 Thread!  (Read 5271 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Battle for Wesnoth: Haspen's Official Bay12 Thread!
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:09:28 pm »

http://www.wesnoth.org/ <- download for yer enterntaiment :v

Okay because various Wesnoth threads surface suddenly and then drown in the sea of inactivity after few weeks, I'm gonna make this thread and put it into my signature because... well, Wesnoth is a fancy TBS, type of games you can rarely find nowadays.

It's free, it's pretty, and it's very interesting and can absorb you for hours.

I'm a leetle beet map maker and actively looking for people to test my melee maps with (didn't touch scripting yet... it's always black magic for me). If you fancy a duel or maybe play World Conquest together or some other scenario or just help me test my map(s) online:

Ironcladkitty (in rare cases, Haskitty) is my name on current official server for 1.10.7/x version. I do not, however, play development versions just so you know!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:11:50 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Wesnoth: Haspen's Official Bay12 Thread!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:13:15 pm »

We had an official thread some time ago. And there's still a Steam group with, like, three people.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:14:41 pm »

We had an official thread some time ago. And there's still a Steam group with, like, three people.

NOT OFFICIAL ENOUGH and besides who would launch Steam for Wesnoth, tis just waste of ram :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 07:57:12 pm »

I've played this before. It's probably the best TBS of its type that I have seen, free or not.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »

I'm really crappy at strategy games but this one looks pretty cool. If I don't forget about it within a few days I might start playing.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »

It's pretty amazing and I love the fuck out of Ageless era. I don't think that one's getting so many updates anymore, though...

Still. I like making maps myself, but no coding here either. Shit's like moonrunes from what I could gather, and I didn't even look at it.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:16 pm »

I love the character advancement.  Especially the campaigns where you start with peasants and have to turn them into soldiers.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 10:16:21 pm »

I loved this when I was younger.

Now if only I could try to play it again later hehe.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:07:15 pm »

It's...a lot of pages buried within. :S I'd prefer if you actually linked it, though. For posterity and all, to forward your point. Because 2011 doesn't mean 'some time ago' here.

So let's transfer the chat..

Edit:
I love the character advancement.  Especially the campaigns where you start with peasants and have to turn them into soldiers.
Either you command them well and get minimal training losses (ie Replicate how levy-soldiers are trained :3) or...see a massive pile of dead peasants. :<
'Tis awesome.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:23:20 am »

I like Wesnoth but at the same time, I kinda don't like it. Though it has depth, it's kinda shallow in a way. What I mean to say is, that without unit stacking it plays more like a tactics game, which is the intention I am sure. I guess what I am saying is I would prefer some more strategy to it, something closer to Age of Wonders.

Unit stacking would be a cool mod, but it's probably not easy with the engine or it would have been done.

Or maybe it has...

EDIT: Pretty much this: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/FrequentlyProposedIdeas#Stacking_units

And for all the reasons that the devs say it wont work. Half of these sound like they just didnt want to bother. They said ranged units caused too many bugs so they got rid of it. Thats just a matter of changing the code so it doesnt have bugs. I wont say they were lazy, but "didn't want to bother" sounds about right.

IN short, I think this could have been a much better game, as it is it's rather simple. My 2 bits.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:30:50 am by ductape »
I got nothing

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 12:55:52 am »

Heh. I got really into Wesnoth for a couple of weeks, liked the basic mechanics and zone of control a great deal. I gotta ask though, has anyone played the dwarf campaign lately? I hit the end of it last time with a whoooole bunch of the... whatever they are. Lots of armor, no attack guys, and white mages, with a handful of offense. The mission was an 8-hour slog because I just couldn't do enough damage to kill anything before the AI shuffled around everything it had in the choke point and I was poking fresh units with toothpicks.

I kinda liked that they didn't try to go overboard and make it a wargame sim. It's got an elementary charm to it with (I think) hidden depth and subtlety. There are plenty of other more complicated sims out there, but I can't think of another tactics game on this scale for PC.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:38:51 am »

I like Wesnoth but at the same time, I kinda don't like it. Though it has depth, it's kinda shallow in a way. What I mean to say is, that without unit stacking it plays more like a tactics game, which is the intention I am sure. I guess what I am saying is I would prefer some more strategy to it, something closer to Age of Wonders.

Unit stacking would be a cool mod, but it's probably not easy with the engine or it would have been done.

Or maybe it has...

EDIT: Pretty much this: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/FrequentlyProposedIdeas#Stacking_units

And for all the reasons that the devs say it wont work. Half of these sound like they just didnt want to bother. They said ranged units caused too many bugs so they got rid of it. Thats just a matter of changing the code so it doesnt have bugs. I wont say they were lazy, but "didn't want to bother" sounds about right.

IN short, I think this could have been a much better game, as it is it's rather simple. My 2 bits.

There was an era about a year ago IIRC that made basic game ranged units actually have ranged attack. I played it and it wasn't really that good. Also, there's HAPMA (Hexes Are Probably Miles Across).

HAPMA is one thing I like about Wesnoth, it has some nice scalability that allows mapmakers to use the same set of tiles to represent both a skirmish on a footpath in a forest and a continent-spanning war. And with some very minor tweaking, you can fix the problem of health affecting attack for large-scale.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:40:42 am »

As a Wesnoth veteran, I am gonna drop a PTF in here for future use.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 08:55:53 am »

HAPMA is one thing I like about Wesnoth, it has some nice scalability that allows mapmakers to use the same set of tiles to represent both a skirmish on a footpath in a forest and a continent-spanning war. And with some very minor tweaking, you can fix the problem of health affecting attack for large-scale.
I really liked out the Bad Moon campaign did this - there was an "overmap" and stuff, it was fun! Running into dudes loaded you into a battle.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 09:02:24 am »

Pretty fun, but I always tend to think it's lacking something.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: [1] 2 3