Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reducing first year immigrants  (Read 807 times)

CaterpillarEater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reducing first year immigrants
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:57:31 pm »

I am interested in making a long term fortress with very few immigrants and perpetuated by children of its original founders.  I know how to set population limits but can't turn off migrant waves from the first summer or fall.  I was wondering if there was some way to circumvent this or guarantee only 1 or 2 migrants per season.  An alternative I was considering is changing the order in which different merchants arrive.  I think if the dwarf liaison arrived in summer or maybe even the first spring that might eliminate one or both of the first waves, but I have no idea how to do this.  I am hoping there is some text file where I just need to change around some values.  Anyone know how to do this or have any other ideas?

blazing glory

Re: Reducing first year immigrants
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 03:11:59 pm »

I am interested in making a long term fortress with very few immigrants and perpetuated by children of its original founders.  I know how to set population limits but can't turn off migrant waves from the first summer or fall.  I was wondering if there was some way to circumvent this or guarantee only 1 or 2 migrants per season.  An alternative I was considering is changing the order in which different merchants arrive.  I think if the dwarf liaison arrived in summer or maybe even the first spring that might eliminate one or both of the first waves, but I have no idea how to do this.  I am hoping there is some text file where I just need to change around some values.  Anyone know how to do this or have any other ideas?

too many migrants!? looks like we have a cavern exploration team boys!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:58 pm »

There is no way to influence that. Only pop-limit in the init file, but even then the first two migration waves are hardcoded and will always appear, even if your home civ is dead.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CaterpillarEater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:22:46 pm »

Hmm, even though I have been playing this game over a year I never considered murdering them.  I understand that other people will do that at the drop of a hat but when it comes to my dwarves I am a bit of a softy.  :D

If the first two waves are hard coded does that mean immigrants stop coming after the first autumn on maps with no other dwarf civs?  Secondly is there anyway to guarantee very few dwarves those waves or is it completely random?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 03:40:13 pm »

You can't directly influence how many dwarves are in the first two waves (aside from pop cap), but you can indirectly influence it by not making as much wealth or digging as extensively. It's a tendency that I've seen, but have not scientifically confirmed.

As for having a dead civ, yes there won't be any migrants after the first two hardcoded waves. The migrants come from your civ only, so if there are living dwarf civs and you chose a dead one, you won't get any migrants. This could change in the next version though, what with all the historical stuff.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:41:55 pm by smjjames »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 04:06:06 pm »

If you are not averse to using DFHack, it includes a "fix/population-cap" script which immediately notifies the Mountainhomes of your current population so that they will properly respect your population cap during the initial migrant waves.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blazing glory

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 12:44:21 am »

Hmm, even though I have been playing this game over a year I never considered murdering them.  I understand that other people will do that at the drop of a hat but when it comes to my dwarves I am a bit of a softy.  :D

it's not murder, it's cavern exploration full of risk and danger! but it's not murder

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 07:44:58 am »

You can't directly influence how many dwarves are in the first two waves (aside from pop cap),

In my experience, the first-year migrations completely ignore your population cap. To make the cap work, it needs to be reported to the mountainhomes, either through a caravan or through DFHack.

I haven't tried changing the active season of the dwarf civ in the raws - normally, it's autumn (unsurprisingly); if your own civ is guaranteed to show up in the first year, setting their season to spring might force an early visit and population report.

EDIT: It seems that the first year's caravan is hard-coded to be the autumn, not the dwarven one: i switched seasons between dwarfs and elves (i.e. dwarf - active season: spring; elf - autumn) and the first caravan that appeared was the autumn/elven one.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:22:55 am by Larix »