Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does DF benefit from a Graphical acceleration card?  (Read 1392 times)

Svankensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does DF benefit from a Graphical acceleration card?
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:01:24 am »

The title says all. Im buying a new laptop tomorrow, and i ned to know if it will help DF. Since its mostly a work laptop i might not get the card otherwise.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Does DF benefit from a Graphical acceleration card?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:04:18 am »

Not really.  I believe the current version will use 3D accelerated hardware to do the graphics, but even the most basic card will do that fast enough that it won't be the bottleneck.  By far it's the CPU and memory that matter.  Graphics cards shouldn't factor into your decision on a DF playing computer at all.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:04:13 am »

The size of processor will matter the most. For example, a dual core 3.5 ghz processor would probably be better than a quad core 2.5 ghz.

I THINK. I've done no testing, but from my limited and possibly outdated knowledge of how DF works this would be the case.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 02:58:45 am »

If you have a suitably advanced card (DX10 compatible, I think?) it'll handle graphics there instead of on the CPU. But, as people have said, the difference it makes is pretty small.
The size of processor will matter the most. For example, a dual core 3.5 ghz processor would probably be better than a quad core 2.5 ghz.
The speed of a single core will matter the most. Frequency isn't necessarily indicative of speed though.

Svankensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:25:00 am »

ĄThanks guys! Going to buy that Laptop =D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:07:55 am »

Yeah, DF isn't multithreaded, so it'll only use one core. That said, if you buy a quad core you could dump DF on one core and have everything else run on the rest.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 04:56:16 pm »

Getting a dual-core over a quad-core for DF is terrible advice, absolutely terrible. You won't find a dual-core these days with better single-core processing power than any quad-core anyway.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:04:37 pm »

I've always wanted to build something absolutely ridiculous- what's the maximum number of cores you could potentially shove together?

DF will mostly benefit from it's own core, and if it's mostly a work/buisness laptop you shouldn't see any problem from assigning it one.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:17:49 pm »

I've always wanted to build something absolutely ridiculous- what's the maximum number of cores you could potentially shove together?

I know of some boards that allow for 2 CPU slots that are meant for servers, and there are CPUs that have 16 cores (also meant for servers). However given socket sizes I'd doubt you could do 32 cores, but 16 might be possible.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:28:41 pm »

DF will mostly benefit from it's own core, and if it's mostly a work/buisness laptop you shouldn't see any problem from assigning it one.

Mostly because I have a pile of 2 Gb ECC Reg DDR (1) laying around, I'm thinking to get an old v40z quad (dual-core) cpu server for a posix box after my old house sells and I have disposable income again.  That is only 8, but very old tech - for servers, quad cpu boards are common, and as someone else did say, oct cpu boards are also made.

Intel just released a 10 core Zeon: http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Airs+10Core+Xeon+Server+Chips+at+Insanely+High+Prices/article21311.htm

And here is a server with 4 of these chips for a mere 40 cores that costs only a bit more than twice what my first (and to date only) new car cost: http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CKz6tMfe4LsCFYlaMgodjmEAwg&Item=9B-59-107-471&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleBiz&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleBiz-_-pla-_-Server+%26+Workstation+Systems-_-9B-59-107-471&ef_id=mUtNQgVpAgAAAFU:20140103002248:s

But really, 40 cores?  Meh.  Here is the real deal, 80 cores but only a measly 1 Tb RAM and only 4 Tesla GPU slots.  Probably not good enough for a decent DF game.  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/supermicro-server-intel-westmere-xeon,12308.html
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.