Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330671 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2625 on: May 29, 2023, 04:26:27 am »

Having played Pathfinder some, I'm hungry for a mechanically overly-complex power fantasy, but more in the roguelike genre. Something semi-fresh (no Nethacks or Angbands, pls) with way too many stats, classes, and rules to min-max and level up.
I've already played the main staples: ADOM, The Pit, TOME, Caves of Qud, Dungeonmans, Dungeons of Dredmor. Probably a few more I can't recall.
Anyone has managed to dig up some gem recently?

Come to think of it, I'd probably take something from other genres too, if it meets the requirements.
I think Cataclysm:DDA would count, but with the power fantasy takes way longer to get to than it used to.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 29, 2023, 05:34:46 am »

Yeah, DDA could fit the bill, alas, it has been played to death too. I was thinking of something that's relatively recent, maybe somewhat obscure, so that it might've gone under the radar.
I've been looking at some of those 'curator' recommended roguelikes on Steam, and there's a number I've never played. The 3D ones (Barony, Delver) are strangely appealing. But they all look generic, or at least with too simple a levelling system.

I think I played DoomRL as well. And Sil, and IVAN, and Infra Arcana, and Prospector, and One Way Heroics, and that short one about being a dragon.

Cogmind, though. It's been on my wishlist for a while. I can't put a finger on why I can't get myself to play it. Probably too complex for too little power fantasy-induced high. Something I'd have to put too much work into to enjoy. But maybe I'll get to it after all.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 29, 2023, 06:40:02 am »

It seems everyone someone ask for what's a good roguelike to play now, it's always the same titles since a decade or two in everyone list.

I wonder why there's no newer roguelike that reach their level, maybe because it seems the focus of the devs that like to make procedural stuff is now much more on roguelite than on roguelike.

Probably because it allows them more freedom in how to implement their ideas, because roguelike is a genre that is rather closed to innovation when it's not hostile to it : i don't think i saw any game genre having fundamentalist fans like i saw with roguelike and the "berlin interpretation" .

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: May 29, 2023, 08:55:49 am »

I've been playing a ton of Path of Achra lately. It's definitely a mechanically complex power fantasy, but while it's for sure in the traditional roguelike direction, the gameplay takes a lot of beats from the bullet heaven(/horde survival/vampire survivors style) stuff running around these days, too.

It's neat as hell in a lot of levels but there's also only like three or four buttons beyond movement that do anything (the only active abilities are prayers to your god, everything else is trigger based/passive), so if you're looking for something more fiddly than that it's probably a pass. The depth is in the character builds and positioning and whatnot more than firing the right sort of fireball at the right time.

... graphics are also very solidly retro, like 8 or 16 bit or something. No ASCII, but not much beyond it. It doesn't look bad at all, but it ain't shiny either.

Also still in early access, for all it's pretty feature complete and can be played through to the end. Dev just wants to add a few more character generation options (it's split between culture -- race, basically -- class and god right now, with 12/12/8 options) and some more abilities (there's currently 78, so it's not like it's lacking on that front, heh) and such. Flesh out the content a bit more, in other words.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 09:00:33 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 29, 2023, 10:20:40 am »

Thanks. Looks promising. Will try the demo.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 30, 2023, 05:16:56 am »

Thanks. Looks promising. Will try the demo.

Demo is an old version of the full game, so it's a pretty representative experience.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 31, 2023, 03:41:55 pm »

The game is fun as heck. Seems like it runs out of steam once you've completed a few runs with a few major combinations or classes/races/gods and advance in the difficulty. All that's left then is challenge yourself with this or that combination if you feel like it.
Still, great time waster for a good while. Excellent value for money - and the demo covers most of the paid game content, if you're a cheapskate.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: June 01, 2023, 10:24:37 am »

What I'm looking for:
Procedural Multiplayer 3D first person/third person with online co-op player-hosted dedicated server(s).
Life-Sim plus Combat as far as features go, with things like building, crafting, farming, etc.
Portal Knights is perfect, but it doesn't permit more than 4 players, and our play group needs 8-10.
Essentially I'm looking for a first/third person 3D version of Stardew Valley, if such a thing exists.  We would play/mod the hell out of that.

What I've found so far: Garden Paws. While it technically matches, its target audience is a bit younger than us. :)
We are currently playing Portal Knights, as it also matches, but doesn't have the same depth of building/crafting/life-sim as SDV or Garden Paws, and the server limit of 4 is killing us.
Garden Paws will be our next if this community is unaware of something better.  But we are hoping for alternatives.
Dinkum was as very close match, but the multiplayer isn't quite right, in that the host is really the only true player, the rest are just temporary/transient guests.

I'm just asking here to ensure we haven't missed anything that might fit the requirements.
We've tried and/or played (in the past) SDV, Necesse, Wayward, Rust, Ark, Atlas, Pixark, Solace Crafting, Valheim, Frozen Flame, Raft, Wurm Unlimited, Veloren, Vintage Story, Dinkum, and more.
Generally most of them fall down either with technical bugs, crashing servers, not actual SDV-like-multiplayer, not 3D, or shallow crafting, building, life-sim and little/no story/plot.
We are not looking for a pure sandbox like unmodded Minecraft, but something more with an overarching story.  Ideally more than just "kill this next boss", although if that's all there is, ok.
PvP isn't part of this equation, we're looking for a PvE/Co-Op setting.
As far as content goes, we would prefer no zombies, horror, darkness-as-fun, vampires, or similar themes (been there, done that), but if that's the only option, ok.
I've heard good things about Deep Rock Galactic and Minecraft Legends, but.. haven't tried them, so if anyone has, and feel they should be recommended as a match, please provide that feedback.
Voxels are ok (obviously, portal knights) but are not required.

The ideal features are: 
Server-authoritative dedicated persistent reliable non-crashing server, ideally run/hosted under Linux or Wine.  Multiplayer of 8-10.
Procedural generation of everything like maps, islands, non-home areas.
Life sim features of farming, crafting, building, domestication, pets, taming, fishing, events, non-combat progression paths.
Combat/Exploration/Resource acquisition with procedural maps, dungeons, missions, content.
Quests, Tasks or Missions intended for teams to accomplish.  Tiers/Bosses are fine, too.
Quest related tasks anyone can do (Portal Knights) or tracked individually (SDV).
3D first/third person.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 10:44:10 am by vjek »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: June 02, 2023, 04:38:05 am »

Well, you said unmodded minecraft was a no-go, but what about modded minecraft? A few neat modpacks off the top of my head with some story to them are Material Energy (^4 is my favorite but I think the stories are connected), Project Ozone, Blightfall, and SevTech Ages.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: June 02, 2023, 08:30:55 am »

oops wrong thread.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: June 02, 2023, 08:38:19 am »

Well, you said unmodded minecraft was a no-go, but what about modded minecraft? A few neat modpacks off the top of my head with some story to them are Material Energy (^4 is my favorite but I think the stories are connected), Project Ozone, Blightfall, and SevTech Ages.
Thanks Micro102, I will check those out.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: June 03, 2023, 03:43:54 am »

I also just remembered a game called "Foxhole". It's a war game so it's centered around fighting, but fighting costs resources, and to get those resources you need to collect scrap (kinda like farming), use factories to transform it into supplies (kinda like crafting), and then deliver said supplies. And there is also complex defense building (kinda like building). And if you have a large group of people you can get a little operation going.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: June 03, 2023, 03:05:13 pm »

It was unconventional, but I can support the Foxhole recommendation. The most frustrating thing about playing that game is seeing obvious holes in the enemy's defences, but not being able to organize my allies enough to take advantage of those holes.

A group of 10 people would be absolutely perfect for that.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: July 29, 2023, 03:47:34 pm »

... anyone happen to know if there's any spawn based RTS games out there, ala the old starcraft LotR maps, that aren't custom map style stuff? Actual stand-alone games. Basically you conquer regions and they spawn units on a timer rather than you manually building them or anything. Limited base building at most, lots of events when one thing or another happens, all that jive.

Random youtube vid of a WC3 one (this) reminded me I used to kinda' love those things, and I can't recall any dedicated games for that kind of playstyle. It'd be neat to see something like that not hobbled by the control restrictions inherent in the engines all the ones I've seen are built in.

Closest would maybe be those unit stream ones where you take over planets and they spew stuff at the next over... there's a term for 'em, I think, but I can't remember it. Quick google has an example in whatever this is, something called bitplanets. They're very much not what I'm thinking of, but it's relatively close.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: July 29, 2023, 06:20:34 pm »

Tried out the demo for Drox Operative 2 a few days ago. I liked its premise of the player being one part of a larger galaxy, trying to swing things in the favor of, well, the Drox Operative Guild. While the player can become quite powerful, they are still but one entity in a system that has a lot of moving parts.

I've also enjoyed games like Battle Brothers, Mount and Blade Warband, and Starsector for being similar - carrying that theme of being a small part of a larger system.

What other games would you recommend that are similar (obviously, the games I've already mentioned I've already played, and I know Soldak seems to have this kind of gameplay as part of their identity, as Depths of Peril seems to have a similar-ish premise to Drox Operative 2).
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 179