Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 330746 times)

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #2535 on: May 01, 2022, 04:54:24 pm »

In terms of variety and functionally, the mod scene on bedrock is vastly inferior to java, but it does run better. Some block/entity behavior in bedrock is slightly different than java. The biggest benefit is bedrock is cross-platform compatibility - except with the java version.
I wanted to ask "wait, how performance is even a consideration for vanilla minecraft?", but went to check for myself first. Latest version greeted me with inablity to launch alongside a browser and 2 minutes of severe lag upon entering world. Attempt to enter normal world with about 20 mods totalling to grand 164 MBs resulted in computer hanging up. Can you believe this game once ran on 2 GBs RAM? Ho ho friggin' ho  ::) (not all that better than now on 4, though). Back to being 1.7.10 grognard, i guess. Or 1.12, it also did run okay.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 04:57:25 pm by MCreeper »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: May 01, 2022, 05:14:33 pm »

Minecraft's performance has pretty much always been fairly remarkably shite, at least as far as I can recall. It's always been a problem, to the point there's mods to try to help with it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: May 01, 2022, 06:09:20 pm »

When will Minecraft finally implement cubic chunks!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: May 01, 2022, 09:42:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know I've seen it before on play-in-your-browser sites... probably can't (permanently) save your game, but you can give it a shot and realize it really wasn't worth all that effort over the years.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: May 02, 2022, 12:10:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know I've seen it before on play-in-your-browser sites... probably can't (permanently) save your game, but you can give it a shot and realize it really wasn't worth all that effort over the years.

Huh, I just searched for it on google and found it right away. It works for me, can't say it kept my attention though.

https://playclassic.games/games/role-playing-dos-games-online/play-betrayal-at-krondor-online/play/

(takes a few minutes for it to load)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: May 12, 2022, 02:22:51 am »

Anyone know if people are still making neat browser based games? I have fond memories of "a dark room" and have had my fill of IO games. Anyone know of anything amazing and recent?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: May 12, 2022, 07:41:29 am »

Like... not off the top of my head, but I do know there's a lot of them over on itch.io at a minimum, some pretty darn decent. So yeah, they're still being made.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: May 12, 2022, 08:36:50 am »

There are also all those websites that hosted flash games, they're still around despite the death of flash mostly thanks to open source Ruffle that those websites are using to run their old flash games, along with most flash devs having moved from flash to html5 so they can still create games.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: May 12, 2022, 04:53:01 pm »

Anyone know if people are still making neat browser based games? I have fond memories of "a dark room" and have had my fill of IO games. Anyone know of anything amazing and recent?

Dune boardgame clone

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: July 24, 2022, 10:55:41 am »

Anyone have any suggestions for a game to take up some time. Preferably something that doesn't make me read or think too har (at least not often), because I want something to look at while listening to books on tape or podcasts.

There can be parts where I need to pause the audio and read something, just not often. DoomRl won't work, because that also requires audio.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: July 24, 2022, 11:50:47 am »

vampire survivors or related stuff? They're pretty low thought, yet still kinda' adjacent to doom rl. Holocure is free, even. I've played them while reading a few times.

... doomrl totally doesn't require audio, though. It's harder muted, but you can still play it!
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: July 24, 2022, 01:20:25 pm »

vampire survivors or related stuff? They're pretty low thought, yet still kinda' adjacent to doom rl. Holocure is free, even. I've played them while reading a few times.

... doomrl totally doesn't require audio, though. It's harder muted, but you can still play it!

Yes, I think this game works.

Leveled up to 12 on my first try, and got 146 coins for between-runs upgrades (I think the cheapest cost 200, and 1,000 for a new character). I'm currently level 46 in my second run with 976 coins (not sure if the 116 I just picked up with a holozon upgrade box counted yet or not). Scythe girl doesn't have amazing damage, but having a large attack arc is great.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: July 24, 2022, 03:45:05 pm »

You can give a try to JCloisterZone, a (very good) adaptation of the Carcassone boardgame with tons of additional options.
https://jcloisterzone.com/en/
The gameplay is very smooth, the UI is very user friendly and while there's a need to think it's nothing too hard or headache inducing.

I find playing this with a bunch of AI very relaxing (make sure to get the legacy version, as the current version that was remade from scratch haven't re-implemented the excellent AI), so should fit very well with listening other stuff.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: July 24, 2022, 05:07:10 pm »

Anyone have any suggestions for a game to take up some time. Preferably something that doesn't make me read or think too har (at least not often), because I want something to look at while listening to books on tape or podcasts.

There can be parts where I need to pause the audio and read something, just not often. DoomRl won't work, because that also requires audio.

The old sim city games came to mind (specifically sim city 4). It's not like they need special attention, but do require some thinking when placing certain buildings.

As for things that require no thought at all? I've tried Galimulator. Space civilizations come and go and break apart and wage war, and you can do stuff if you want to. Truly something to just look at with interaction only based on a whim.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: September 22, 2022, 05:37:24 am »

This is less of a recommend me a game, more of a question.

I was surprised to find the old top-down GTA games (1&2) are not available either on Steam or GoG. Quick internet search suggests they're not available anywhere obvious. Is there some legit place to get them (or rather, just GTA 2) that is not a dodgy Ukrainian download or a similarly untrustworthy torrent?

Alternatively, are there maybe some remakes out there? Or games copying the gameplay in spirit, if not necessarily verbatim?
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 179