Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331744 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1980 on: December 30, 2019, 12:57:08 pm »

Are there any roguelikes with a grid-based first-person perspective ala Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.? I know there's Dungeon Hack, but I was wondering if there were any others?

I was just playing Legend of Grimlock.  Party of 4 to escape a prison. 
Human, Minotaur, Lizard or Insect race.  Fighter, rogue or mage class. 
2 front melee position and 2 back range positions in the party. 
Option for automap or old school note your own map in grid paper. 

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 30, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »

It is, however, not a roguelike. The dungeon and its rewards, puzzles, and denizens are all fixed.

I believe, however, that other more randomized games were made using much of the same devkit.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: December 30, 2019, 01:35:25 pm »

Hmm, yeah.  I don't recall a roguelike using that devkit.  It has make your own map, but that's not the same.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: December 30, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »

Here's an unusual request/challenge. Does anyone know of some fun replayable mobile/portable game/system that DOESN'T have wifi or bluetooth capabilities? Looking for something to play during downtimes at work and no wireless communication is one of the key requirements for security reasons. Golden grail would be some android device managed only through USB/pc software so I can play CDDA on it, but not sure such a thing exists.

Can you still get an SNES emulator on a phone? Or one of the gameboys, which would have the right resolution for a phone?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 30, 2019, 02:36:15 pm »

Here's an unusual request/challenge. Does anyone know of some fun replayable mobile/portable game/system that DOESN'T have wifi or bluetooth capabilities? Looking for something to play during downtimes at work and no wireless communication is one of the key requirements for security reasons. Golden grail would be some android device managed only through USB/pc software so I can play CDDA on it, but not sure such a thing exists.

Can you still get an SNES emulator on a phone? Or one of the gameboys, which would have the right resolution for a phone?
Phones have wifi and bluetooth unless you know of one without those, that's the problem.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: December 30, 2019, 02:51:53 pm »

If you want any sort of portable device without wireless capability, you're looking at going back to the GBA era at the absolute latest.

Or if you're handy with a soldering iron, go the Ben Heck way and turn one of those retro classics emumachines into a portable doohickey.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 30, 2019, 05:21:10 pm »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 30, 2019, 10:09:00 pm »

Are there any roguelikes with a grid-based first-person perspective ala Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.? I know there's Dungeon Hack, but I was wondering if there were any others?

Can we clarify what qualifies as 'roguelike' in this context? StarCrawlers might kind of sorta qualify. Fixed classes that you can develop as you want, and I think non-storyline mission maps are modular-ly randomized, with bonus loot scattered.

And sort of riding on the back of that recommendation request, anybody know good turn-based current-gen dungeon crawlers? Sword City bugs me, I'm in endgame grind for Coven of Dusk, I've heard Operation Babel/Abyss has some fundamental design issues. ...Which, incidentally, all have the same publisher.

Do those Chinese emulator pack things count? Like here: https://www.amazon.com/Plug-Play-Video-Games/b/ref=dp_bc_aui_C_3?ie=UTF8&node=166201011

I recently grabbed one for travel use and have spent way too much time playing Tecmo Bowl.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: December 31, 2019, 10:14:20 am »

Phones have wifi and bluetooth unless you know of one without those, that's the problem.

I read that you were trying to get games on a phone without those things. I should perhaps try sleeping more.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: January 01, 2020, 10:11:26 am »

Gameboys through DS don't have wireless cards. I'd suggest a gameboy advance (sp, perhaps) and a rom cartridge. They're relatively cheap, probably 40$ total for the GBA, cartridge and SD card. Then you can play a pretty big catalogue which includes several SNES and NES titles. Never hacked a DS myself, but it's well possible.

Unfortunately, the best option is a PSP, but that has a wireless card in it.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: January 03, 2020, 04:56:48 pm »

Are you unable to simply turn on Airplane mode?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 04, 2020, 12:07:39 pm »

Are you unable to simply turn on Airplane mode?

A lot of the times, secure areas just look at system specs and if it's specced for it, then it's classified as having it, regardless of whether or not it can. I knew somebody who tried to bring a laptop into a government building and was refused entry because it had a webcam. She physically punched a hole in the system where the webcam was, and you could shove a pen through the case, but since it officially had a webcam, it was banned.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 04, 2020, 05:05:01 pm »

Anyone know a good PC cooking game?

I've tried Cooking Simulator, and enjoyed that for the novelty. There's also the cooking mini-game in Stardew Valley which is fun, since I like games that let you collect or grow your own ingredients. I don't have too much interest in Overcooked! as it's designed as a multiplayer challenge game, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: January 04, 2020, 05:40:00 pm »

There's that weird cooking fighting game, however that works. Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe, it's called.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 05, 2020, 06:55:26 pm »

Did Cooking Mama ever get a PC port? Those are fine.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 179