Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 179

Author Topic: The "Recommend me a game" thread  (Read 331712 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Recommend me a game" thread
« Reply #1920 on: October 05, 2019, 11:02:00 am »

Maybe Avernum is worth a look.
Also, for retro, I hear Ultima VII is one to check out.

You're also spoiled for choice for actual D&D games that'll run on your machine. Try Eye of the Beholder 1-2 on DosBox, or the Gold Box series such as the Krynn series for a turn-base party grand adventure. There are also the Pool of Radiance based series, but the story isn't as coherent as the Krynn/Dragonlance ones.

It's sci-fi, but the TSR buck rogers games (they made two) from around 1990 has an awesome story and game mechanics, based on a variant of D&D. You get to travel around the inner solar system freely, space battles, and board and capture enemy ships, along with story and missions on asteroids and exploring planets on foot. EDIT: to be honest, this one is one of my favorite computer RPGs of all time.

If you want newer D&D, Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate. There are a lot more, but I'm not that up on it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:05:49 am by Reelya »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: October 05, 2019, 07:36:53 pm »

Maybe Avernum is worth a look.
/quote]

that one looks interesting but it seems to focus on having a premade party at the start, i was thinking into something more like starting alone then get some companions in the way. im gonna have to check a bigger list or so. its a shame most of these games seem to keep the same types of races on each title like humans, dwarves, elves, etc... without much diversity whereas in MMOs you can get some more neat stuff.

i guess mods can alleviate tht situation a bit but will have to do more research, for now i guess im gonna stick with getting my hands on Fallout 2 or something like that. Underrail seems like another good option that wont possibly crash on this machine.

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: October 05, 2019, 08:10:04 pm »

Toribash has hotseat, yeah, but isn't that fairly mouse-intensive? Same for worms.

Broforce is fukken sick though. Play that.
I could decapitate a man with my trackpad in toribash
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: October 05, 2019, 08:19:55 pm »

For dungeons and dragon system and starting alone there's also Neverwinter Nights , and on most campaigns (official or fan made, and there are a lot of them available) you start alone and get to hire or encounter companions during the adventures.

The 1st neverwinter nights (well technically the 2nd as the very first neverwinter night is from 1991) is 17 years old (wow already 17 years ! ) and should be able to run on a potato on low/medium settings , it was running on my previous and old weak system without any problem.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:22:16 pm by Robsoie »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: October 06, 2019, 02:50:45 am »

From what I've played, Ultima is a "find party members" game. And as I said, this one is the one they rave over:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_VII:_The_Black_Gate

The gameworld of Ultima VII is renowned for its interactivity: virtually everything not nailed to the ground (and not excessively heavy) can be moved, taken, or interacted with in some way. It is possible, for instance, to bake bread, to forge weapons, to milk cows, to play musical instruments, to paint a self-portrait, and to change a baby's swaddling. The Avatar and his companions, if not fed regularly, will complain of hunger pangs and severe thirst, and will even perish if these matters are not attended to eventually. If they come across a disgusting or gruesome scene, they may groan and vomit; sufficient intake of strong alcoholic beverages will also result in visible nausea.

Ultima VII allows free exploration of the game world, featuring a main plot and several other major subquests and tasks for the player to complete. It is a markedly open-ended game, where following the main plotline is inessential to the purposes of enjoyment, exploration, and character advancement — once the player is free from their starting location of Trinsic, a walled city. The Black Gate is highly nonlinear; although there is a linear storyline, this is countered by the ability to explore the map in any order when coupled with the many sub-quests
NPCs — either the party members or the people of Britannia — react to killings of innocents and stealing whenever they became aware of it; party members may leave the group if they witness too much bloodshed and larceny and will refuse to join the party until the player redeems himself. They may even openly revolt and attack the Avatar if he goes about committing wanton crimes incessantly.

... you can be such a bastard your own party members decide they have to kill you to stop you.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:58:22 am by Reelya »

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: October 06, 2019, 01:04:10 pm »

*Ultima Series*

There's a much brighter timeline where that franchise managed to stick around and went on to outshine to the Elder Scrolls series in the open world fantasy RPG genre, and the fact that I'm stuck in the one where Ultima fizzled out only fuels the constant state of internal rage that requires an unhealthy amount of my concentration to supress.

I've been looking for something like a cross between Elite: Dangerous and Metroid, where you fly around in a spaceship and do spaceship things, but can also get out of the ship and do other stuff on foot. No Man's Sky fits the bill, but I ain't touching that with a 59.99 foot pole, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to change that.
So far everything else that comes anywhere close to what I'm after either focuses too much on survival and crafting and/or lacks a 'get out of the ship and do things' element. I have enough 'fly a spaceship and never get out of it' games in my collection to last me the rest of my natural life, The only survival element I ever want to deal with in a videogame is 'don't get killed', and if you throw a base- or ship-building aspect into the game I'm just going to spend so much time with that you may as well not have done anything else. It's got to strike a balance I just haven't found yet.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: October 06, 2019, 01:19:22 pm »

'Rodina', maybe? It ain't no AAA game, though.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: October 06, 2019, 03:09:33 pm »

'Rodina', maybe? It ain't no AAA game, though.

Oh, right, Rodina. The game I somehow mistook Empyrion: Galactic Survival for. Which I, in turn, somehow managed to mistake Ariel for. I don't normally make mistakes like this, but the simple fact that I can is the reason why I never buy things for people. You ask me for lego and there's a chance you're getting duplo. I'm not willing to put anyone through that.

Empyrion is... Somewhere between 'meh' and 'okay I guess', leaning more towards 'meh'. I've spent more time than I rightly should on it due to my fixation on shipbuilding, but for every other good thing about it, there's a bad thing to balance it out.
There's character customization, but no matter what you do your face will look like a partially melted wax dummy. Best to take the Mount & Blade approach and make yourself look like a mistake of nature.
I think just about every other model comes from the unity asset store, they might be placeholders but I doubt that. I don't know much this sort of thing, but I don't think it means anything good.
Shooting your way through structures can be fun at times, but enemies are bullet sponges and they absolutely will hit you if they have a ranged attack.
I just pretend multiplayer doesn't exist in these kinds of games. It's for the best.
All in all, it's kind of mediocre. But I do like building spaceships.

Ariel though. I haven't touched it in over a year, and unless the situation has improved by an order of magnitude, that isn't going to change. I remember it as slow-paced, tedious, and just not fun. In fact, the only reason it's still in my library is that it took so long for anything to happen that I passed the refund threshhold.

Considering the demo's free, my only excuse for not trying Rodina sooner is that I can never remember it exists for more than a few minutes at a time. I'm not looking for AAA content, but I don't want another something that isn't and might never be finished, so I'm probably going to come out of it with mixed feelings should I ever get around to playing it.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: October 06, 2019, 04:22:22 pm »

this must be a boring suggestion but Evochron:Mercenary/Legacy could fit that bill. you're limited to civilian sized spacecraft (i think) but it can do atmospheric landing on planets and you can use a mech to move around.

of course its missing the survival and crafting part because its mostly a privateer/freelancer style thingy so not really sure if it counts.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: October 06, 2019, 05:02:04 pm »

Actually that sounds exactly like what I'm after. The problem is that I didn't want to muck around with survival and crafting but that's all I've been able to find so far. Stomping around in a mech is a perfectly acceptable substitute for getting out and footslogging it, and might actually be preferred considering I haven't found any good single player mech games that aren't Brigador.

Actually, there was something that looked like a a cross between metal slug and super robot wars, but I can't remember the name. It looked to be mostly dashing around in a not-gundam and spamming lasers, with occasional segments pulling you out of the mech and putting a gun in your hand. I'll probably try it at some point when I eventually remember what it's called. I prefer 'real-robot' over 'super-robot', so I'd rather have something like mechwarrior but without having to muck about with a cooling system.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: October 07, 2019, 03:38:33 pm »

If you've got a friend to play with Pulsar: Lost Colony might work. While you could technically play it singleplayer, the devs say the AI isn't quite up to scratch yet and the experience may not be so good.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: October 07, 2019, 05:39:06 pm »

Actually, there was something that looked like a a cross between metal slug and super robot wars, but I can't remember the name. It looked to be mostly dashing around in a not-gundam and spamming lasers, with occasional segments pulling you out of the mech and putting a gun in your hand. I'll probably try it at some point when I eventually remember what it's called. I prefer 'real-robot' over 'super-robot', so I'd rather have something like mechwarrior but without having to muck about with a cooling system.
... the old SNES Metal Warriors?  Could have been Front Mission: Gun Hazard, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: October 08, 2019, 05:49:34 am »

... the old SNES Metal Warriors?  Could have been Front Mission: Gun Hazard, too.

No, turns out I was thinking of Hardcore Mecha. I prefer mech combat in the style of Brigador or Mechwarrior, where you need to think as much as you shoot instead of facerolling through an entire army with with an overengineered technological terror. Problem is there really isn't a lot to choose from when it comes to mecha games. So far as I know, there this, Brigador, Metal Wolf Chaos, World of Mechs War Robots, and Mechwarrior Online.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: October 23, 2019, 12:19:25 am »

speaking of space games. since i couldnt make Empyrion work on my computer im trying to find some kind of low specs space simulator(its not that the game doesnt even loads, the problem is that it crashes when loading the landing scene, even when i configured the game to run with the "fast" settings, not sure if its because of PC limitations or because the game is still in alpha). the list on steam is mostly full with recent titles i cannot load on this computer AFAIK (if Empyrion barely loaded i cannot fathom trying to play Elite Dangerous or Space Engineers). some other titles seemed to be promising but went into the dumpster like Kinetic Void, its really a shame.

so in the end it seems im left out with the more classic games like X3, Vega Strike, Oolite and Pioneer. i've never played the last 3 so dont know what to expect, would they fit the bill for someone looking for a sort of living, breathing galaxy? if there's other less known titles that can fulfill that criteria im open for suggestions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: October 23, 2019, 04:00:23 am »

Ever played Freelancer? It might be a little difficult to get hold of nowadays, but that game was the bomb. Best example of "fly around and explore and do stuff and interact with factions in living, active space with sweet dogfights" I've ever played... The main story is a bit cheesy and silly at times, but it's still compelling enough to get things done. And there's a huge amount of open world post-endgame stuff that opens up after the campaign is over.

Other than that, I'm not sure what the spec requirements are like for Pulsar: Lost Colony... If it actually does have low reqs or if it just looks like that. Also Pulsar is mostly for co-op multiplayer, I don't think the singleplayer would be nearly as cool (even though the bots are supposed to be halfway competent... For an indie game).
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 179