Fight the power!

Row!
- 0 (0%)
Row!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 16, 2013, 01:03:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.  (Read 23977 times)

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼SILVERGOOSE☼ Of Masterworks, Mephs and Magma.
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2014, 10:49:34 pm »

Journal of Waaghina, Overseer of Silvergoose

After Smurfington the Third stepped down, I was asked to become overseer.  I’m not sure what I can do to help, but I’ll try my best.  My main goal this year is try and get our magma forges up and running, and get our research back on track.  We have lots of gold, but no good way to spend it.

3rd Granite

One of our sergeants has become a steel golem!  I’m not sure what this strange creature is, but I hop it can help us fight off all of the invaders that keep coming to our fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

21st Granite

Migrants have come to our fortress, at last!  Our population has doubled from 30 to 62.  Although we need alcohol and food, and most of the old farms were destroyed.  I hoped to re-assign the space, but the burrows are full of tree saplings that we can’t seem to cut down.

9th Felsite

I got into a fight with a hawk a few days ago while hunting.  What a stupid thing.  I beat it off, but not before it tore apart most of my head, and injured my arm severely.  I can just now write again.  Updates may be rather short, as it hurts quite a bit to write.

12th Felsite

Mammoths and Giants have appeared on our borders.  I have ordered everyone inside and had the bridges shut.  I hope that strange malachite door can hold back the intruders.

19th Felsite

Elves have appeared on the horizon, but refuse to come near our fortress.  The bastards are watching the giants and mammoths lumber towards the trap corridor.  I was hoping the giants would attack the pointy-ears, but the few that have made it through the corridor are just staring at the door, entranced.

25th Felsite

All of the giants are now in one place, in our trap tunnel, staring at the door.  Many of the mmamoths were caught in the cages.  Looking at the layout of our courtyard, I we may be able to rig a cave in and try to crush the giants.  My arm is feeling worse and worse.

12th Hematite

The Collapse was a success!  While the giants were busy staring at the artifact door, we collapsed a ceiling segment on them from above.  Every one of the fell beasts was crushed into a fine ichor.

8th Malachite

With operations continuing in the lava forges, I have ordered the collapse of the old suspended magma works.  While a wonderful feat, it leaves us open to attack from the evil beasts below and there seem to be elementals swimming in the lava.  It was spectacular to watch the platform fall into the magma.

12th Malachite

Even more Migrants have come!  We do have enough food to last through the year, but I have also dug out a new above ground farm plot.  The steeloaks are taking up most of the usable space.

12th Galena

Another siege has come, this time full of putrid blendecs.  I’ve order a quick test of the brazier system.  We should be able to light the grass and shrubs on fire and hopefully scare away or even burn a few of the bastards.

1st Sandstone

The brazier works, but the blendecs were smart enough to avoid it.  I will try to lure them into the trap tunnel and capture as many as possible then crush the rest.

19th Sandstone

We have mastered the secrets of alchemy!  Time to make up some nickel to speed up coin production!

4th Timber

A hydra has come.  Perhaps he will attack the blendecs, as they seem to be content wandering the fields outside our walls.

12th Timber

And another siege has come, a host of dark stranglers.  The hydra scared off the blendecs, and appears to be entranced by our malachite door.  This should be interesting to watch.

23rd Timber

The carnage is beautiful.  The hydra has killed some 27 stranglers so far.  They charge into the trap corridor and the hydra lashes out.  I think I will order a second trap corridor built, and we will try to capture the hydra between drawbridges.

17th Moonstone

The trap corridor failed to entice the hydra at all.  We will collapse the ceiling on the hydra, as it now has us trapped within our own fortress.

20th Moonstone

We have a schizophrenic dwarf who came with one of the migrant waves.  I have ordered him sealed off in a room to prevent anything terrible from happening.  While it seems cruel to starve him to death, there is nothing else to do with the creature.

22nd Moonstone

Another small wave of migrants arrived.  Sorry for the short delay, but the infection in my arm led to surgery to remove the blasted thing.  I am so addled with wine that I can barely hold the quill...

9th Opal

We have discovered the secrets of the Volcanic Foundry, and the Arbalest!  I will work on getting both constructed as soon as possible.

18th Opal

The arbalests have been built in turret towers at each corner of the fortress walls.  Now we should be able to repel invaders without resorting to cave ins!

1st Obsidian

One of our militia, Unib, went berserk today.  He was complaining about lack of shoes, and refused to put on new ones.  He killed an infant, and then our Golem ended his former mates life.

14th Obsidian

Another siege of giants, orges, and jotun have come.  As they approached the fortress, I order the nearest arbalests to engage.  Two of our siege operators ran up to the ramparts with bolts, and settled into the chairs, but as the giants and ogres came within in range they appeared to go into a rage, and simple stare with bloody vengeance at the foes.  They never fired a shot…

I suppose we shall have to use the cave in again, once the foul invaders come close.

While we wait for them to shamble in, I shall draw up plans for the next overseer of the progress I made on the fortress.

To use the collapsing floor on the invaders, wait for them to all become entranced by the door in the trap corridor, then look at the floating floor in our courtyard.  Finish constructing the floor and then remove the tile shown in the drawing below.  It will take out the floor below, and crush anyone in the tunnel.  Remember to rebuild the floor at the normal courtyard level, so our builders are not spooked by sieges that come later.

Here are the levels of the arbalest emplacements, if you can figure out how to make them work.  Each corner has two arbalests, and below them are ammunition stockpiles.  I had roofs built above to keep dwarves from getting wet if they need to man the machines during a storm.

This is the failed trap corridor in the bottom, a trenched out above ground farm to the right, and a newer underground farm to the left.  I have ordered the above ground farms planted with various berries in the spring.

Extra space has been carved off the dining room for more food preparation and storage, and workshops.

The Temple Complex has been surrounded by a crypt.  I moved all of our dead down here, to bring them closer to Armok’s bosom.  The schizo is walled off in a room.

Further down, I added a Biologist and a Scriptorium to copy research results.

The bedrooms, or at least beds, for 100 dwarves have been moved lower as well.

Further down I started some exploratory mining to find more iron, as our research has used up much of the old stocks.

Finally, our magmaworks.  Almost every workshop you could want is here, and there is plenty of room for more to the left.  The entire area beneath is flooded.  There are two miraculous stockpiles by the ore processors and slag pits, which hold a limitless amount of ores, on the left, and bars, on the right.  If you prefer a less magical storage system, the entire floor above is empty, save for a long tunnel with can have rooms carved out.  The stairwell is currently near the processors, but the central stairwell can be easily attached with a few days of digging.  All the old entrance from the caverns have been sealed off.

Oh, and there was this:

Annual Report

With that, I retired to relearn how to live, but with one less arm.  May Armok bless our next overseer.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2014, 04:00:55 am »

Seriously great turn, Grimmash.

About that schizo dwarf starving to death because “nothing else can be done for him”: how about a lobotomy?  Think of Urist McMurphy in One Flew Over the Silvergoos Nest.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2014, 05:50:09 am »

Lobotomy doesnt help schizos... which is something I should really add. He can certainly be sacrificed on the temple, or kept as a bookkeeper, as long as he is walled off.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2014, 10:03:10 am »

I can't believe how much this fort has turned around. Certainly some very good progress. I wonder what happened with the arbalests though? Is there some trick to getting them to work? Too bad about the schizophrenic dwarf...I feel like the warden from some Dickensian asylum to have to do that to the poor guy.

And please, as cheap as quantum stockpiles are, no one get rid of them. From my experience the biggest cause of FPS drop is having max sized stockpiles all over the place. I used to feel that quantum stockpiling was cheating and never used it...and so lost dozens of forts to dismal FPS. At this point its one of those things where reality trumps idealism, and if its cheapness that keeps the game playable then so be it.

Jerbot is up next and we still need to fill some spots after him. Any takers?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:07:40 am by mensrea »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2014, 10:12:39 am »

I'll take another turn once the craziness of exams dies down

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2014, 10:13:50 am »

Downloading now.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2014, 11:03:19 am »

I consider QS use an FPS workaround as well.  My understanding is every stockpile square sends a hidden item request every so often, and all the pathing that entails.  I only put in two by the forges.  For anyone that cares, they are easiest to use right from the start, but if you use them for anything that can be stored in bins or barrels, you want to make the choice early.  Once stuff gets put in a bin it can be really hard to get it back out.  Like cloth, leather, bars, and in MW all the research items.

Whoever is next I tried to sacrifice the schizo on the temple, he completed the reaction, but is still alive.  I might have left the temple with a workshop restriction for the schizo there.  We also need clothing at some point.  The militia guy that went nuts did so because of lack of shoes.

With the new dwarves, constant sieges blocking caravans and such, food might become an issue, hence my reexpansion of the farms.

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »

Update on the arbalests:  if you take down the fortifications, they should actually work.  Apparently they cannot shoot through them.  I recommend moving them up to the edges, too, as yhey might have the 45 degree limitation that archers have.  Those changes should make the effort of researching and building them worthwhile, and give our defenses some more bite.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2014, 04:58:42 pm »

You might also be able to pasture the "arbalest gunner/dwarf operating the arbalest" directly next to the fortification. They should be able to shoot, once they actually touch the fortification tile.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2014, 06:16:19 am »

Just looking at the save and the FPS is down to 58 on my laptop, mostly from magma flow.  That should level off when the new pool is completely filled. The magmaworks are impressive but I don’t see any grates or fortifications; what isolates the fortress from anything coming out of the pipe?  36x33 pool is a lot of magma.

The humongous farm plots are back.  What’s up with that?  This fortress has hundreds of active field tiles and hundreds more set to be planted when the six dabblers and novices get around to it.  69 dwarves, 43 are idle but they won’t be when harvest begins.  Dugan is now a Legend +5 planter and two others are Guilded but Silvergoos has at least 30 times more field tiles than a fortress of 200 could ever need and particularly so with those many fish farms.  And, 2,000+ booze for a fortress of 69?  Each of those un-fertilized tiles will grow at most one plant which will then be hauled down to the storage, later up to the kitchens, then back down again to the Dining Hall.  Well, everyone has a different style of play and that’s what makes community forts interesting but hauling jobs stack and take priority over everything else.

- Lots of invaders outside the walls, seems to be this fortress’ fate.  Maybe we should have more than five military dorfs?   Perhaps a slap-happy room to beat on some of the many caged invaders with sticks?  (Great job on the invader traps btw, Grimmash.)
- The steeloak saplings aren’t being cut because they’re forbidden.
- 20 limestone stones and 20 marble – were those purchased?  Every layer is igneous so to work all the new iron (and the many hematite tiles marked for mining), perhaps a millstone or two to make flux from those body parts lying around.  The hundreds of wooden logs in stock can be turned to coke, would be more efficient with the new blast furnaces.  It would be nice to find marble but none of the revealed layers are metamorphic, are they? 
- How did the mist generator work out?  It was certainly a good idea back with all the tantrum spirals but it doesn’t have a water source connected now, does it? 
- 46,000 gold coins?  Wow.
- For the Volcanic Forge: does slade have to be mined, now?

I’m not a big fan of quantum stockpiles because 1) it is hard to get things out if binned, 2) it’s more necessary micromanagement for most anything but stone and 3) unless walled and door-ed, they often generate miasma from decaying parts and vermin.  I can see why others use them and Wiki recommends them but a small, dedicated ‘whatever’ stockpile next to the appropriate workshop also works without the management hassle.  The limestone was dumped next to a smelter and that’s convenient but there are a lot of forbidden items on the z screen. 

At least the labor shortage is behind us and Jerbot has options.  I’d recommend more than five soldiers and maybe taking the “Melt” designation off the better weapons and armor in stock. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:36 am »

So, when I opened the save, I spent a fair amount of time looking over everything trying to orient myself before unpausing, and boy is it daunting. This is the first succession game Ive played in, and I'm just not used to the chaotic layout and half started/abandoned things. I loaded dwarf therapist and was even more overwhelmed. An "optimizer" must have been used, cause the labors are all over the place. It is difficult to build skills in jobs when they are switched around all the time. And again, I'm just not used to labors being like that. Other people's styles and all that. The things I found particularly confusing were the "entrance(s?)" and the lever room. I'm sure the notes meant something to someone, but I have no clue which entrance bridge is which.

All of which is no problem, the fort is in good shape really. Maybe I can do something about that...

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 15, 2014, 11:45:08 am »

To adress the comments:

Only QS present are for ore and bars, with bins disabled.  Space for doors to lock th was provided.

For farms, you can never have too many.  Just fallow them if you don't want to use them.  Tearing them down lets cave crap grow in the dirt and makes it really hard to reuse the plots if they are needed.  In a surplus of food, lavish meals make a great trade good.  We have had so many food issues that I never want to leave the following overseers withou crops that should come in during a time of need.

For the forges... I forgot that MW workshops don't have the same tile mechanics as vanilla.  Oops.  I'm sure some sort of dwarevn engineering can fix that.  Just cave in some solid stone from above after the pools fill in.  I left plenty of access and space around the forges.  The lava issue is actually the refilling of the lava tube.  That will stabilize.

The steeloak was forbidden because some (me) used it all on his first turn, and later overseers prudently made sure to reserve it so that ash making and the like didn't consume it.

There is a millstone under a windmill, just look for it.  Someone already got that done.

As for coins, I wanted the next overseer to be able to call in whatever they needed stat.

For the levers, the only two you NEED arethe far right two on the top row.  Pulling those seals the trap tunnel.  Everything else is of less importance.  I think.  I didn't use any of those my whole second turn.  In fact most of the top left row is now defunct, as that entrance was walled off.

Jerbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 15, 2014, 11:22:10 pm »

I finished the year, will write it up tomorrow. I apologize in advance for the lack of fancy narrative and screenshots. The year was...wow. As a preview here is my checklist:

Militia off the ground and running...check
Stupid magma based defense device...check
Total chaos...check
Military commander with over 60 kills plus over 20 giant drowspider kills (all melee)...check
Vampire-Lord-led-giant-drowspider-riding seige meleed to death...check

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2014, 12:18:37 am »

How goes my miner? Is he dead?
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13