Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D20 Starfighter Conversion-Game Idea+Interest Check  (Read 1357 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
D20 Starfighter Conversion-Game Idea+Interest Check
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:43:37 am »

All right, hear me out!

What if we just took totally standard D&D3.5 characters and made them well...star fighters?

:D

No or very few major rules changes-everything is still base. Just instead of playing solely a character, you'd be a character piloting a combat craft and your stats would represent the combined abilities of pilot and craft, making them interchangeable for any scenario. I mean, maybe I'm crazy but, almost everything would work if you fluff it differently. Trip attempts could become ramming or stun weapons, for example. Strength becomes not of your characters arm, but of his ability to fight in close combat. A Guisarme (a melee reach weapon that can trip in usual D&D) becomes a medium range ionic cannon capable of making a ship 'prone'-or in this case, off balance. A longbow becomes a missile launcher that can strike from afar.

Casters would fair little different, with their ships being specialized instead of generic-spells become technical abilities. Instead of sleep, electromagnetic shutdown. Magic missile becomes a homing torpedo. Charm and control spells become hacking attempts to override a ships controls-opposed by your will save, which is a combination of both your own ships defenses and your personal level of self control.

It would have a heavily simplified combat field-front, middle, and rear for two sides. Which is admittedly the weakest part of the whole idea. Shelving movement and maneuvering for a pbp format. Though we sort of do that anyway, it would certainly take some of the strategic aspect away from the game.

Obviously, some things wouldn't work. Druids Wildshaping, almost certainly not-though, I'd love to hear some idea. Some races special abilities would be difficult to implement-though, not impossible. 'Elven' Ships would use the same bonus stats as Elven Characters would. Morality and related would be improbable to implement-and likely replaced with a basic factional system that corresponds to the alignments of good and evil...

Well, tell me if any of this peaks anyones interests. Would anyone even want to play such a game?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D20 Starfighter Conversion-Game Idea+Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:46 am »

Hmm... Sorta interested. On the other hand though, you could just ask Haspen if you could use his ruleset though. Would make things simpler (And easier.)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:17:30 am »

Hmm... Sorta interested. On the other hand though, you could just ask Haspen if you could use his ruleset though. Would make things simpler (And easier.)

I did not know haspen had such a thing :P

Is there a link anywhere?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:56 am »

Haspen put a couple of links in the FEF OOC thread, and he keeps updating them so...

Best bet would be to PM him so he can gather up everything and give them to you in a whole package without you having to run around collecting links and whatnot.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 06:31:37 am »

Well, yes, I did agree with most of those rules.

We're talking about concept here. If anyone actually is interested.

Thank you for derailing my thread, sir. :P

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 06:32:39 am »

Never even knew that this was possible.

Fucking IN.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:32:39 am »

It doesn't peak my interest, but it does pique it.

One note. I'd prefer if "ranged" weapons were lasers and the like, while missiles were the "melee" weapons.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 03:40:17 pm »

Okay, that's two ums and a definite yes :P

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 03:50:49 pm »

I... might be interested. Depends on what the specific details are.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »

This is interesting, i just don't know how D&D3.5 works (i was just plan lost trying to read the rules of 4th edition).
Edit: i just find it a lot like this
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:20:18 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 04:23:34 pm »

Obviously, some things wouldn't work. Druids Wildshaping, almost certainly not-though, I'd love to hear some idea.
Routing power to different systems to switch between effective loadouts? Depending on the setting, some amount of physical transformation might not be out of line either.

As for interest, it's definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think I'm down for a D&D campaign at the moment.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »

I'd join if I knew how to play D&D properly.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:27:33 pm »

3.5e remixes? In.

Multiple and different weapons definitely need to be a thing, though. Any good capital ship should be able to fire several dozen weapons at once. It would probably be best to retool the weapon damages and let "armor" give DR instead of AC, as well, maybe even at an AC penalty for heavy armor, to create the dichotomy between fast, hard to hit ships, and big, slow, hard to damage ships.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:30:50 pm by Remuthra »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:42:11 pm »

This is interesting, i just don't know how D&D3.5 works (i was just plan lost trying to read the rules of 4th edition).
Edit: i just find it a lot like this
4e sucks. It's not much like 3.5.

Obviously, some things wouldn't work. Druids Wildshaping, almost certainly not-though, I'd love to hear some idea.
Routing power to different systems to switch between effective loadouts? Depending on the setting, some amount of physical transformation might not be out of line either.
Which reminds me...Space. Why do some ships take up 5 times as much space as others?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:48:34 pm »

Which reminds me...Space. Why do some ships take up 5 times as much space as others?

Different size constraints and job specifications?
Pages: [1] 2