Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 109

Author Topic: Hearthstone TCG - And the card goes wild! Goodnight Doctor Boom.  (Read 158211 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Hearthstone - Online Warcraft TCG in Closed Beta
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2014, 11:33:21 am »

Yeah, I will. It really bugged me when I thought "Yay, win streak (or whatever) gold" then clicked and got "Not enough gold".

Getting a decent monitor any day now....
 Like a non-crt one and everything......

So what does everyone think the current noob-stick is? I'm thinking preists or mages, but I'm also thinking shamans for absolutely horrible(ie:awesome) board control. Overload is a lie and you should never touch it. Priests are still unbelievably reliable though. No damage, just destroy "x" minion. It's just wrong.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:36:28 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:26 pm »

So what does everyone think the current noob-stick is? I'm thinking preists or mages, but I'm also thinking shamans for absolutely horrible(ie:awesome) board control. Overload is a lie and you should never touch it. Priests are still unbelievably reliable though. No damage, just destroy "x" minion. It's just wrong.
Last I checked, cheese-of-the-month is a Hunter rush deck. Unleash the Hounds got buffed so you can play it with a couple Timberwolves and just clear out your enemy's everything, or throw in a Buzzard and get like... four or five cards. Hunter's also the only class with selective card draw in the form of Tracking, too, so setting up combos like this becomes surprisingly easy.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:24 pm »

Just came out of my first arena run. The final match had me as a paladin up against a druid.
 Towards the end I was at 14-15 health, and had a commanding board presence with three creatures to nothing after clearing it. He had 2 health and 1 armor.

He plays a Baron Geddon and concedes defeat.

I stare at this for a good few seconds and figure... 'You know what, lets see if he will die by his own Geddon or if by miracle he can stay alive.' So I pass my turn.

He plays a darkscale healer and savage roar, beats me down to probably 3-4. Ends turn killing all of my creatures who were rather damaged.

So I gave him a continued arena run and a thanks for having the balls to play baron geddon at 3 HP. I'd call that a satisfying end.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2014, 06:52:08 pm »

Speaking of Arena, I just went up against a Mage with my shitty Druid draft. And let me tell you, there is nothing more satisfying than watching him topdeck a Ragnaros when you have a Faceless Manipulator in hand. BY YOUR OWN FIRES BE PURGED.

Then he topdecked a Polymorph and I killed him with the sheep anyways.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2014, 08:13:00 pm »

The glory of rampaging sheep, deadly healing totems and other such malarkey is why I play shamans. I know raid leaders are crap, but between them and a couple of flame-tongue totems you get some pretty amazing trades. No good for arena, but it's fun as hell in ranked.
It's a game. Have fun.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2014, 04:25:26 pm »

I was having fun with the game until open beta and now EVERYONE is playing Mage.
"Oh look at me I'm Jaina Proudmoore I can do 6 damage with 4 mana I can turn your big tough creature into a 1/1 whenever the hell I want and also Arcane Missiles always does the one thing you don't want it to do isn't that great? Sea Giant? More like Sheep Giant!"
I get that Mage is easy to start up with, but the open beta has caused a huge imbalance in that now you're screwed trying to start up a new class because all of the Mages are going to kick your ass.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2014, 01:50:16 am »

I've been playing this for about a week, I decided to skip fighting the AI after the tutorial battles and jump straight into ranked - I found it quite satisfying to unlock champions by beating humans. It took a while before I ran into a warlock though. I peaked at rank 17 after mainly using the shaman bloodlust strategy and a mage deck with spell damage creatures. Switching to a druid deck relying on mana acceleration to play out early big creatures saw me lose game after game and drop back to 20 - after a few tweaks (dropping most of the big creatures/mana and replacing them with a charge strategy) it started winning games.
 My arenas so far have been underwhelming - in four attempts I've managed 3, 3, 2 and 0 wins (druid, rogue, paladin then priest). That priest deck though... I drafted two shadow forms, and did not draw either in the course of my dismal three game run (could have been a nice combination with the Prophet Velen I had - 6 damage hero power anyone?). The arena entrance fee compares very favourably to buying decks outright - I still got two prize boxes even when I lost all 3 games (netting me a booster pack and 30 powder).

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:10 am »

I just started this weekend, greatly enjoying it.  My first human game was with my Lvl 6 Mage deck, I was just trying to get rid of that first "Play a Duel" quest and had no expectations of winning.  A paladin deck proceeded to beat me down, and by turn 12 or so he has me down to 15-5 or so.  But the board is clear except for his 1/1 weenie, and he's played his entire hand out, while I had a couple left.  I poke the weenie, play a Rocketeer, BAM, 10-6.  He plays some 6 or 7-mana guy off the top of his deck, and gens a weenie.  I play my 2nd Rocketeer, BAM BAM, game!  (bing, Lvl 7, Paladin deck unlocked, wee!)  I had been holding onto the Rocketeers for most of the game because he had had Taunters out all game long.  Was amusing to read that they're not a very strong card (but I see the reasoning why).

Questions about Arena: 
- Are there any sort of time limits to Arena?  Like a timer on card selection? 
- Is it a true draft, where by selecting Card X you are denying other players that Card X?
- can you spread your Arena games across several days or must they all be played in a certain timeframe?
- does Arena play satisfy quest requirements (like 'do 100 pts of damage to heroes')?

And an important question - are there any more resets planned?  If you spent money to buy packs, how did they handle that with the resets?
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2014, 12:35:20 pm »

I don't know all that much about the Arena, but I do know that the fights count for quests and that you can at least play your arena deck over several days. Did that once with my one really successful arena run. There might be a time limit on how long you can keep a deck, but I don't get that impression.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »

Questions about Arena: 
- Are there any sort of time limits to Arena?  Like a timer on card selection? 
- Is it a true draft, where by selecting Card X you are denying other players that Card X?
- can you spread your Arena games across several days or must they all be played in a certain timeframe?
- does Arena play satisfy quest requirements (like 'do 100 pts of damage to heroes')?

And an important question - are there any more resets planned?  If you spent money to buy packs, how did they handle that with the resets?
There is no time-limit on Arena you can spend days/weeks picking the card you want and playing out the games and yeah they totally count towards quests.  You don't deny other players cards while drafting.

There are no more resets planned.  The last time they reset it they gave you everything back in gold to re-spend as you like.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2014, 01:17:18 pm »

The draft works by offering sets of three cards (all the same rarity) and letting you choose one card before getting a new set.  There's no interaction with other players and all class-appropriate and neutral cards are available.  Arena doesn't respect the 2-card limit either, as anybody who's been on the receiving end of chained fireballs and pyroblasts knows
Shoes...

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05:40 pm »

First time i played this type of games, and I somewhat like it. But i really dont like that for a pure PvP game it has a pay to win element in it

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 03:41:41 pm »

First time i played this type of games, and I somewhat like it. But i really dont like that for a pure PvP game it has a pay to win element in it
Yep, it does. You can get around the P2W elements if you're successful in the Arena, which is strictly non-P2W and gives a lot of rewards if you get plenty of wins. You can also craft specific cards, so the P2W elements aren't as random as they look.

But ultimately, I'm still a new player. And as soon as I hit rank ~15 and started facing pure-gold decks with multiple legendaries, I realized I had zero chance of improvement unless I spent a few weeks grinding the arena, or spent real money on extra packs.  >:(

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2014, 06:29:03 pm »

Yeah, that's my big problem with the game. So I mostly stick to Casual, which at least has fewer uber-decks to fight, and Arena when I build up the gold for it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2014, 12:32:33 am »

My arenas so far have been underwhelming - in four attempts I've managed 3, 3, 2 and 0 wins
5th attempt at Arena just netted me 9 wins - a Warrior deck with strong early board control. My three losses were against 1) a mage deck that used flamestrikes in two consecutive turns late game to clear my board (just like how it happens in ranked!) 2) a priest that could handle all my threats whilst keeping himself healthy until late game, when he played Onyxia then Prophet Valen 3) a druid deck I reduced to 10 life, before he was able to turn things around mid-to-late with a succession of big creatures. I pinged and executed the sea giant, traded off his ironbark protector, but finally had nothing left to stop his archmage and venture co. mercenary.

Here's the deck (Execute, Abusive Sergeant and Argent Squire were also in there but didn't fit on the page):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Early in the draft I had a difficult choice between demolisher and knife juggler - I'm glad I picked the juggler as I would get a demolisher later anyway, along with a second juggler. Once I got the first of three brewmasters, that cemented my decision to go for cheap creatures with useful battlecry effects.

Here's an example of the kind of play you can make with this deck: my 5th game, I'd reached the ten mana point without killing my opponent (a problem for my deck). Both of us are low on life and struggling to get decisive control of the board. I had a few small creatures out, and had been trading blows with the enemy in such a way to keep several of them alive but damaged - for the last card in my hand was a Battle Rage. Playing it netted me four cards (it grants a card for every damaged friendly - three minions and myself) and I passed the turn. My opponent played out his hand at this point, placing down 4/4, 2/3 and 1/1 - I had no taunt and my life was fairly low, so I had to find a way to deal with these guys, ideally without trading off the paltry band of creatures I had left. Luckily, the draw had netted me both knife jugglers, a cruel taskmaster and a youthful brewmaster - resulting in a ten mana play that allowed me to deal nine damage (precisely how I leave as an exercise to the reader), clearing the enemy board and allowing me to secure the win the following round. Much more satisfying than the ubiquitous flamestrike!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 109