Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 54

Author Topic: Trailblazers in a World of Winter - Chester crashes the party.  (Read 58616 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Action: Follow tentatively
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Try to get coffee from the thing, barring that check out the rest of the place and clean my rifle. No, not that kind you nasty-minded being.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

Action: Follow tentatively
- Chester here. Nobody is inside, miss McGaw. Some assistance may be useful, in case of emergency. I mean, I'm entering one of the living buildings right now, and if the next thing you'll hear from me is screams, send more armed guys here.

Bust door open. If brute force is useless, shoot the lock.
You waste no time in acquainting the door with your boot. Inside, a long corridor with doors on both sides goes to the right and left of you. In front is a staircase to the second floor. There are larger doors at both ends of the corridor. The walls are lacquered wood, the colour of old honey. Again, a pang of nostalgia.
McGaw joins you in just a few seconds.

Damnit.

Load up, ready to move in.
You check the ammo counter on your Saigon, then get the battlesuit out of the trunk. It's made of several interlocking pieces: you're supposed to put the legs and arms on first, then lock the breastplate over them. You put it all on and straighten up. Whoa. It's like walking on stilts, but comfortable. You take several long, bouncy steps, then do a backflip, launching yourself several meters into the air. That's something, though the lack of a helmet makes you nervous. You put on your old one from the flak kit. Better.
The inside of the fort is empty and quiet. You note the lack of vehicles and the hover tracks leading out of the north gate. The silence, oddly enough, is comforting, like being wrapped in cotton fluff.

Build a second leg of awesomeness, the opposite of the one I already built.

Upload the specs to the sync program into the computer in my brain and delete any other record of it, also upload specs for my weapon arm and this leg and delete records of them as well.

Duplicating your work doesn't take you a lot of time, and soon you have two new legs. Then you go about enforcing your copyright, uploading everything into your head and destroying any data left. You monster. Don't you know Jonas Salk gave mankind the polio vaccine for free?

Try to get coffee from the thing, barring that check out the rest of the place and clean my rifle. No, not that kind you nasty-minded being.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[5]You push the button on the machine, then take cover behind the bean crate and pray. It lets out a grumbling, bile-filled roar which turns into a fit of mechanical coughing noises, then cuts of abruptly with a sound like a muffled gunshot.
You poke your head out of cover tentatively. There's a cup filled with brownish foam, which miraculously turns out to be coffee. You gulp it down, then go off exploring.
The mess takes up the entirety of the fifth floor; it's a large, circular room with crates and container arranged to form tables and chairs.
The floors four, seven and eight are living floors, divided into sections with cardboard walls.
The third floor houses the medbay, with its surgery module and cabinets of medicaments.
The ninth floor is taken up by observation and meteorological gear, including a large telescope poking out of a port in the wall.
The sixth floor is mostly full of boxes, but there's also a smallish room occupied by a maniacal blue-haired teenager, who seems to be working on a pair of showy prosthetic limbs, giggling quietly to himself as he operates the laser cutter.
Spoiler: Russian (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:26:45 am by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Find the doctor who attached my arms then get him to attach my eyes and legs.

Once done armor my arms in the same fashion as my legs.

(( Hey who you calling maniacal? He's just.... easily excited. ))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 05:09:34 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Stay behind me at all times.
Move up, shielding my charges with my body. Begin checking buildings.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Bust one usual door, and one of the big doors in the way that would be effective. Check what's inside.
((I mean, if it needs some more complicated actions than a simple punch, try it first.))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:13:26 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

McGaw nods nervously, readying her pistol.

After a moment, she remembers to disengage the safety.

Action: Be shielded! Help check the buildings.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile

Bust one usual door, and one of the big doors in the way that would be effective. Check what's inside.
((I mean, if it needs some more complicated actions than a simple punch, try it first.))
You step into the corridor, your footsteps echoing slightly off the walls. You look around, picking a door at random, then check it: not locked.
Inside is a bunk bed, carefully done, a coat rack with someone's one-piece winter uniform carefully hung onto it, and a cabinet: inside are a few pills of sleep aid, a box of condoms, fresh socks, and a small white book titled "Абсолютное оружие". After a skim, it turns out to be rather tasteful twentieth-century science fiction, written by one Sheckley. All in all, there's nothing unusual there.
Then you go to check the door over at the end of the corridor, which is also not locked; it turns out to be the kitchen, a rather cavernous space with large vats for soup and porridge arranged behind a long counter. There are cabinets filled with aluminum plates, and long metal tables covered in crisp checkered cloth. It reminds you of the orphanage cafeteria; the nostalgia becomes almost unbearable. Your eyes sting and water. What.
There's also a trapdoor behind the counter, locked with a sturdy metal hanging lock wrapped in rubber sheeting.

Stay behind me at all times.
Move up, shielding my charges with my body. Begin checking buildings.
McGaw nods nervously, readying her pistol.

After a moment, she remembers to disengage the safety.

Action: Be shielded! Help check the buildings.
You two accompany Chester to the kitchen, then return back to the door in the other end of the corridor: it seems to be the local medbay. There's an unpowered operating table, a surgery module, and several glass cabinets full of jars and drugs. A single jar catches your eye - there's some kind of flat bug inside. There's also a cryocrate standing on the surgery table, with a sticky note that reads "Потенциальная биоугроза - не открывать".
Seeing all this brings McGaw back to her training days, and even Sean seems oddly mellow, as if affected by the overall homeliness of the place. Strange.

Find the doctor who attached my arms then get him to attach my eyes and legs.

Once done armor my arms in the same fashion as my legs.

(( Hey who you calling maniacal? He's just.... easily excited. ))
You go get Westerly, who seems slightly annoyed by your antics at this point, and ask him to attach your bits. Grumbling about not actually enjoying cutting people's limbs of after dinner, he initializes the surgery module and takes your legs in; his eyes widen slightly, and he nods approvingly.
You wake up some time later. Getting up, you feel as if everything is in place. Then you take a step and GODDAMMITSHIT wall what are you doing here. Rubbing your forehead, you get up unsteadily. Oh well. Maybe removing the limiters wasn't such a good idea..?
Walking very, very slowly and carefully, you manage to get back to the cybernetics lab, though not without making several sizable dents in the stairs first. You armor your arms, so to speak - they have slowed down to a more manageable speed under all that weight, but they're still damn fast.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Goddamit...
Orphantage. Dawn of the 23rd century. They say great things will happen. I don't feel it. The miserable torn piece of cloth on the table is still dirty, the porrige is still awful. Where is the goddam progress since 19th century? It is elsewhere, but not here, that is for sure. That unbearable bully Artyom is going to take my porrige away to fill his ever-hungry and bottomless belly. They'll pay for that. They'll all pay. One day, I will become stronger and smarter than any of those who i'm sharing this table with miserable torn piece of cloth on it.
No, they won't. I'll become smarter, but stronger? Stop decieving yourself. You have no guts to say Artyom to back off. You put on your smile and give your food to him, maaking it look like in act of charity, and everyone seems to believe. But there is one that doesn't believe. It is me.
I will go away from here. As far as possible. Finish my graduation and go to the opposite end of Coalition. Or even out of it's borders. As far as possible.

Chester shakes his head and finds himself on the kitchen of russian outpost on wild planet again. Very far from orphantage - glimpses an instantly suppressed thought.
Search for the key of this lock around the kitchen. If successful, open the door and carefully look inside, using nightvision. If can't find it, close my normal eye and switch thermal vision mode and continue wandering to the second floor.

If any kerosene lamp or other movable light source occasionally comes in sight, take it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:08:45 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Clean rifle, then look around for a spot to test fire it, like a firing range
Rather... empty. Ah well, lets try this out. I wonder if they have any tea in this rat-trap...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

McGaw's strongest childhood memories are of the color white, the bioglo symbol, the clink of medical equipment, and the smell of cold, sterile air-the place she was raised in had white lights, white walls, white uniforms, white furniture. All in smooth, colorless ambiance. Special care was taken to provide a quiet, clean atmosphere for Bioglo's future employees-most clones, a few orphans who had shown highly useful genetic markers. She certainly never went hungry-even though food was highly restricted to meal times. Alcohol and anything worse were strictly forbidden-she would be 21, in her social acclimation training, before she even tasted wine or kissed a boy. Gender was also divided-she rarely saw males of any sort, and never her own age. 'Outside Materials' were treated with disdain, though occasionally someone managed to get something interesting before it was confiscated. McGaw had once seen a 'magazine' with pictures of strange, beautiful people-totally unlike what she was used to...later, when she was clinging to memories, it almost seemed a dream. There was holovision, of course-they saw the outside world through carefully edited lenses. Most of what they saw was designed to make them feel distant and better than the rest of humanity-fighting and dying in the mud, while they were safe and clean in the high towers. McGaw felt more pity than anything.

'Highly Restricted' was the phrase she most associates with this time. It seemed most things were limited, or denied. What was encouraged was so called 'exploratory studies'-learning and training, sometimes examining completed projects for flaws and ways to improve. There was so much free time you really could do nothing else...sometimes, they were given strange tests to determine things like loyalty-do you love BioGlo? Are you happy with your role in life? Do you ever want to do anything else?

Yet, It was not fear that BioGlo used to shape the lives of their wards. They used accomplishment...praise. There was no mothers or fathers here, only the stoic, emotionless educators and the guards wearing the faceless white helmets-they never spoke. They generally were only given attention by 'Caretaker'-an older woman who was their only real parental figure. But even she was distant, and careful.

Every week there would be a list posted in the main dormitory on a holoscreen-a list of all twenty four students names, and their 'scores'-which were in theory, determined how well their studies had progressed. No one knew exactly how the score was determined...but, everyone wanted to be at the top. Or at least, not at the bottom. Those who fell into the least five spots had their names in ugly red, and those at top a crisp green. No one wanted to be last. It bred vicious competition between them...Caretaker even was known to reward those in first place with small gifts, or personal meals. The other children would seethe in resentment, and work even harder.

These are McGaws earliest memories. She doesn't remember playing or relaxing much-and no one there could be considered much of a friend. BioGlo mandated optimum use of all personal time...There were a few children, of course, who seemed unable to fit in. They made trouble. The stress broke them-the constant need to perform. McGaw had watched one of her 'classmates' try to kill herself with a pair of scissors, unsuccessfully. All that blood...

But, whatever the reason for the problem, they disappeared, and no one mentioned them again. McGaw supposed they had been taken to a less strict regimen, but she never really knew-couldn't have guessed what they did to defective copies...

"Does anyone else feel the slightest bit odd?" She declares, not entirely sure if she's going insane or not, or if it's only her and no one else.

Action: Something feels off. Can I try to get my senses? What's going on?

And inspect that bug...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:18:23 pm by Dwarmin »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Dunno... might be side-effects of coming off of that combat stim, but I'm losing my edge here.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I thought I was maroon...))
Highly Opinionated Fool

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Design a prosthetic UAV drone, use an eye for the cam and build in a wireless uplink that links directly into my new eyes so I can see through the UAV eyes. Make it as small as possible and prioritize stealth in it's design.

(( He implanted the eyes as well right? GOD DAMN PHONE AUTO CORRECT STOP MESSING WITH ME. Ok I feel better now, but I just realized I've been an idiot and can solve this whole attack problem very easily.))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:41:40 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile

Markus turns around. "Who would be asking, and yes, we did experience radio problems out in the forest. Why, does the bug jam our radios too? How advanced are these things?"
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 54