Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What was your favorite part of the journey?

GOBLINS! AND LOTS OF THEM!
- 0 (0%)
The assassins in the town!
- 1 (11.1%)
Gonzou suiciding!
- 1 (11.1%)
The shadow monster encounters of all kinds!
- 0 (0%)
The mountains!
- 0 (0%)
The werewolf incident with Nadarr, leading to us getting arrested!
- 2 (22.2%)
The bandit camp side quests!
- 0 (0%)
The fortress upper levels! (Necromancers, gate, madmen)
- 1 (11.1%)
The caverns! (Dragon, Cotl, Cave Crocs)
- 2 (22.2%)
The Fortress lower levels! (Maze, Grot/Symon/Gonzou Fight, Husks)
- 0 (0%)
The flesh party that was the final battle!
- 0 (0%)
The epilogue (and the end of almost two years of madness)
- 2 (22.2%)
None! It sucked!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 344

Author Topic: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): 86 Days Remain...  (Read 342047 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dungeons and Dragons (4th Edition): Off Chasing Bandits
« Reply #3465 on: May 27, 2014, 08:56:26 pm »

((Not quite what you mean by assists, but if it gets more money Nadar'll do it, even if it involves intimidating or somesuch.))
((Meaning you throw in a diplomacy check (hard roll, no bonus) to assist, giving a +2 if you're untrained or a +5 if you're trained))

The shopkeepers give you a price on the things you know of. The rest, they won't give a price for it (they believe it to be junk)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Now the diplomacy rolls... Thyra will be doing the diplomacy rolls, having the highest diplomacy at +15 (with bard bonus).))

Thyra ((becuase I'm sure everyone is gonig to roll)) goes and starts to try to raise the prices of each item to get the price of 3060gold 1 silver 6 copper to something more worth her while.

(19+15+5+2+5) Thyra gets an amazing deal, bringing the 20% markdown and getting a nice increase up to 50% bonus on everything. The price goes up to 7210gold 5 silver 6 copper. She accepts, and divides equally, giving everyone 1030 gold and 8 copper. She once again brings up to Karl about the money earned on the bounty. On this run. She also asks what you will do next; the fortress or more bandit hunting? It is roughly 10:30am
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: May 27, 2014, 09:33:47 pm »

"Laddie, even if they did, do ya think it would be to Bahamut? Nay, it would be one of the gods or goddesses of commerce or travel. So young, but so naive... And besides, all of the people here are very secluded, they prefer to do everything in their homes. Well.. Most do." He laughs again. "And let me guess. You couldn't find yerself a temple, so ya came ta me hoping ye could get a quick prayer or two and a blessing? Well, you'll find no such luck. I'm just an old war relic from a time when dieties raged wars on a regular basis. The desert to the east had a grand scale war once between devil worshippers and the demon worshippers, and let me tell ya, when I was told about the crusade that took place there... Ye'd think that sea monsters and storms were like mere bump compared to the amount of bloodshed out there. And let me tell ya, lots of blood is spilled fighting those monsters. And then the sea storms, if there was a battle amongst them? It wouldn't be surprising if the next few days the ocean for the next couple miles were stained red and littered with corpses before the sea animals and carrion eaters came... And meself, being a cleric? I had to heal those who suffered while still fighting to stay alive. If ya saw my armor, laddie, ye'd laugh at me calling it such. I care for it ev'ryday and it still barely holds tagether."

He shifts in his chair a bit and then gets a good look at you.

"Tell me laddie... Where are ya from? And why are ye in a backwater place like this? Ye're too young ta be running around on yer own."

Symon hesitates, "Isn't a temple better than no temple? Regardless of who it's dedicated to. You can't... Even the smallest of villages has their own shrine or chapel. Yet this town does not. Is everyone so secluded that t-they don't want to build something greater?" He starts to wave his arms about, trying to use hand gestures to reinforce his words and half-realized point. "And I don't need a b-blessing. I just w-wanted to... t-talk to someone else like me. A fellow worshiper."

After Symon listens to his story, he shakes his head. "I w-wouldn't laugh. I understand that... dedication and f-faith. That it'll p-protect you day after day no matter what..." Symon sighs as Benn asks him where he's from, "I c-come from Impiltur, far to the north. And I'm here to help."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: May 27, 2014, 10:12:37 pm »

Symon hesitates, "Isn't a temple better than no temple? Regardless of who it's dedicated to. You can't... Even the smallest of villages has their own shrine or chapel. Yet this town does not. Is everyone so secluded that t-they don't want to build something greater?" He starts to wave his arms about, trying to use hand gestures to reinforce his words and half-realized point. "And I don't need a b-blessing. I just w-wanted to... t-talk to someone else like me. A fellow worshiper."

After Symon listens to his story, he shakes his head. "I w-wouldn't laugh. I understand that... dedication and f-faith. That it'll p-protect you day after day no matter what..." Symon sighs as Benn asks him where he's from, "I c-come from Impiltur, far to the north. And I'm here to help."
((Here's a picture I made for Cromwell's picture on my character builder:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FEAR MA L33T SKILLZ!))
The old cleric shakes his head. "Laddie... Ya'll learn that in some places, usually small towns and villages, everyone has so many different ideas for a temple or shrine, they usually argue on which deity it should be to." He notices your stutter. "Ye'll need to work on yer confidnece, laddie. Won't be able ta talk to the wenches like that." At the mention of Impultur, his eyes widen and his old face glows with a little gratitude."I was born there too, laddie. I left when I was 20 winters old, and I ended up getting sea legs as we were mostly sailing, hunting down pirates. Had a few others together, a paladin of Moradin, a runepreist of Thor, and an Invoker of Njord. We were four strong warriors of our faith, but we never let ourselves overstep the other. They went with me when I returned home ten years later with my friends, and thats when that damned crusade against Tiamat began... The champion of Bahamut at the time, whose name I don't remember, was a blue dragonborn paladin whose faith was more overbearing then his logic and mercy. He slaughtered so many... Even some innocents. I was at sea for the majority of it. Thirteen years of blood against Tiamat, and I guarantee only 10% of the ones we killed were actual Tiamat worshippers, and just as many were Bahamut worshipers. It only ended when some of us Bahamut worshippers turned on him and threw him in chains. When one gets too strong, the power corrupts his mind... And though his intentions originally were pure, they turned into ones that didn't serve Bahamut.

Not many remember it, but I remember one paladin of Bahamut was exiled for killing his fellow because he wouldn't obey. He went into Vilhan Wilds and raised his family there. His son became a great mercenary, but very quiet. I heard stories that he was Bahamut's next chosen, but those are rumors. Some say he still lives, but lost his purpose. He may come back to his roots, but what made him unique was he fought in the platinum dragon's name, but he doesn't use the god's power; only his own. Those who heard the rumors said it was heretical to think a Champion of Bahamut could be a non-paladin, cleric, invoker or runepreist. Me? I would have it that the man himself defines his deeds, not his devotion. If a mercenary fighter from Vilhan is the champion, then so be it. I wish I could remember his name... I heard he was a good fellow, knows when to follow his code and when he shouldn't. I heard he left his home and wanders the land, searching for a man... A man who did a great evil to him. But I only hear rumors from the children, who hear it from their parents trading with caravans."

He looks off to the distance and looks at you.

"Now 'ere I talked yer ear off laddie. Whatever you're doing in the name of the Platinum Dragon, do it with a level head; your devotion, if you take it too far, will kill you. The runepreist of Thor died that way, fighting giants off in the east, because his god hates giants. He charged alone, killed 2 before dying by the other 6.

Go on, laddie, and ye better come visit again if yer in the area."

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: May 28, 2014, 12:20:02 am »

((I so wish we could've gotten decently geared up in a proper city before we set off with all this gold. Ah well. I guess potions will have to do.))

Tell the party that Aurel is coming.

"We should get some potions as well."
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: May 28, 2014, 12:33:33 am »

((I so wish we could've gotten decently geared up in a proper city before we set off with all this gold. Ah well. I guess potions will have to do.))

Tell the party that Aurel is coming.

"We should get some potions as well."
Thyra gets her bow on hand in case and then asks where to head off. The fortress brings him closer, but the bandit camps run the risk of him arriving mid battle. Which way? ((And I realized that I sold the climbers kits... Shoot))

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: May 28, 2014, 01:00:56 am »

((Oh, we sold the magical items and the Alchemists xxx as well? Oh well, it prevents me from pulling a typical jRPG move and hoarding one example of everything and ANYTHING potion shaped 'just in case' it's used, and ending the game having used one of 45 mega-elixirs or something.))

Karl hands out the bounty pouches to each person there, keeping Symon's to hand to the young cleric when he joins up with them again.

((Karl will do so as soon as we Symon))

When Alexander runs up and starts babbling about the vampire coming for them, Karl frowns in surprise and worry. "How do you know this? But if it is true, we should leave the bandits alone and start towards the fortress. Being ambushed by something as powerful as one of the shadow-touched while we're already deep in a fight is a bad idea."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: May 28, 2014, 04:50:00 am »

((Oh, we sold the magical items and the Alchemists xxx as well? Oh well, it prevents me from pulling a typical jRPG move and hoarding one example of everything and ANYTHING potion shaped 'just in case' it's used, and ending the game having used one of 45 mega-elixirs or something.))

Karl hands out the bounty pouches to each person there, keeping Symon's to hand to the young cleric when he joins up with them again.

((Karl will do so as soon as we Symon))

When Alexander runs up and starts babbling about the vampire coming for them, Karl frowns in surprise and worry. "How do you know this? But if it is true, we should leave the bandits alone and start towards the fortress. Being ambushed by something as powerful as one of the shadow-touched while we're already deep in a fight is a bad idea."

"You don't wanna know how I know. You probably wouldn't believe me. And thing is, he's coming for me, as strange as that sounds. I think they've taken a liking to me. We could split into two teams but that makes me worried about the people going to the bandit camp. Alternatively you could leave me in the city to fend for myself until you come back. Olladra knows that the only way to stop all this is to go the to blasted place you're going to. Also, the guards couldn't help. More like they can't. If we go for the place, we'll probably meet him on the road, if not even sooner."

Buy a climber's kit if it really was sold.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: May 28, 2014, 08:45:52 am »

Erh...Suppose I should mention that...

Nadarr tells the others about the coffin, its contents and the key.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: May 28, 2014, 09:34:49 am »

-snip-

Symon thinks for a while, and then bows to Benn wordlessly before turning around to leave, still deep in thought. He doesn't head back to rejoin the party immediately though, instead wandering about the town as he thinks things through.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: May 28, 2014, 12:46:37 pm »

-snip-

Symon thinks for a while, and then bows to Benn wordlessly before turning around to leave, still deep in thought. He doesn't head back to rejoin the party immediately though, instead wandering about the town as he thinks things through.
You putz around and eventually see everyone outside of a store. Karl hands you a bag of a crap ton of gold and then given the question everyone is debating: head for the fortress and deal with Aurel that Alexander knows is coming, or kill more bandits and run the risk of being attacked by shadow creatures

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: May 28, 2014, 12:47:50 pm »

Nadarr lets the others tell Symon of the coffin.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: May 28, 2014, 04:55:04 pm »

Karl looks around at the others. "I think that we should make any necessary preparations and head for the fortress. We can deal with the bandits at another time, and we've proven that we can defeat the shadows masquarading as our fallen companions, but we risk being caught between two enemies if the shadow fiends come upon us while we are already dealing with a group of bandits. From our experience fighting Bouchart and the bandits earlier, splitting up would only leave two weaker groups fighting strong foes.

Before we head to the fortress ,though, I think we should recover this 'special' blade. Perhaps it is nothing, but if it should prove something effective against the shadows, we could only benefit from possessing it."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: May 28, 2014, 05:00:28 pm »

Symon just nods affirmatively to Karl's words, and grips his flail tightly as he looks at everyone else.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: May 28, 2014, 05:04:09 pm »

Nadarr agrees.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:23 pm »

The party gets on the cart and Alexander rides the second card as Symon drives the first. You go to head out of the town when a familiar thin figure in black platemail covered in blood, carrying a broken spear on hand arrives, holding his arm as if holding close a wound. He looks at you all as you approach and he laughs.

"Go ahead and laugh... I'm the only one who survived fighting the metal giant. Thoradin, and all the others are slain. I took a stray shot of his weapon and it put a nice hole in my arm. The others all got torn apart except Thoradin who had his face ripped apart. Bastard deserved it."

He throws at Symon a broken piece of armor that he recognizes as Archuther's. Its sheared again and the size of your fist

"Thoradin did that before he fell. I broke my spear trying to strike him anywhere else... And its difficult to break magical gear. I'll have to try and find myself a new weapon before I even think about taking you on, peasant. Now let me through, I need to see that damned cleric before I bleed out."

He walks on by as you make your way back to the camp with haste. You make it there in a couple hours and start digging. You feel a strange sense of dread as the place is eerie and quiet. No wind blows, and the sky is cloudy, blotting the sun. You dig up the 5ft and find the coffin. (?) As you dig it up, you hear thunder and see lightning as rain begins to come down. Karl, Nadarr and Alexander lift the coffin out as rain fills the hole quickly. (2-1) (FUMBLE) (17+9) The wet ground makes it harder to climb out! Karl fails to get up in his bulky platemail, Nadarr slips and falls facefirst into the mud that is starting to fill the hole! Alexander manages to get out but gets a quick glimpse of something in the distance. (?) The water level in the hole rises. Nadarr gets up as water starts to go over his head after his slip. You try to climb out again (14-1+5+2) (4+1+5) Karl is pulled up by Alexander, Thyra and Weston as Nadarr falls down again as he struggles with Symon pulling him up. Symon doesn't get pulled in however. Alexander looks down the path again and sees a black fog rolling in now, darkening the pathway. Nadarr tries one last time to get out with everyone helping him up. (5+1+5+5) Nadarr, now up to his armpits in water, fails to get out and falls back in, falling prone, now drowning as the mud pulls him under!

Alexander sees the black fog blotting the sky and darkening the place. A lone figure walks out of the fog as now the entire camp is now surrounded by black walls. Aurel stands before the party. Alexander feels a sharp stabbing pain in his head and drops to his knees. Karl, despite being covered in mud takes no penalty for being covered in it. Nadarr is immobilized while he is in the mud and requires someone to do a strength check to pull him out. He laughs as he see's Nadarr struggle in the mud.

"My dear, dear Nadarr... Isn't it rather early for you to be playing in the mud? And isn't this a predicament? Kill me, your enemy... Or save Nadarr... A companion who is in peril... Alexander, you know why I'm here... You're coming with me!"

As he says this, three creatures that are large versions of the creatures you fought before arrive. Despite it being the middle of the day, these creatures are immune to the light. A better look ((thanks to Symon's perception)) reveals they are a grotesque creature who's dark skin is an aura on top of several flayed skins sewn together with the odd bone sticking out. Their teeth are massive, like shortswords instead of daggers. Their claws are massive, being the envy of Wyrmlings and small dragons.

"I'll make you a deal. You can walk away without Nadarr and Alexander, and the rest of you will walk away alive. You all know of my power to begin with... And now that the shadow completes me? I am living death now... All it takes is the sacrifice of few... For the needs of many"

The party has to respond as soon as they can. Nadarr can't do anything here (excpet grunt and make bubbles) until combat begins and then he struggles to stop drowning (endurance check).

((Note: I want as little meta as possible. One post for each of you to put up a reason or vote for your decision. Any action, other then saying something, is an immediate enter combat, and you forfeit your option to sacrifice your teammates. And yes, saving Nadarr includes this))

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 344