Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abandon fort... first migrant wave?  (Read 882 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Abandon fort... first migrant wave?
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:50:45 pm »

I recently abandoned a floundering fort on the verge of collapse. Without starting another gamemode or anything, such as adventurer, I immediately began a new game, and my first migrant wave were a bunch of dwarves from the last fort, I know because one of them was still "Running around babbling!" Found it really odd, though that an insane dwarf was a migrant of mine. In any case, is this common, that your first migrant wave consists of dwarves from your other, freshly abandoned fort?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Abandon fort... first migrant wave?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:00:22 pm »

Yeah. I've had a few forts were early migrants were from older forts I'd abandoned. I remember reading about a fort that died because a berserk miner from the one before it migrated and killed everyone.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:29:11 am »

It happens quite a lot, yeah.

If you abandon a fort with dwarves on fire, then they will show up still on fire and burn your place down.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:25 am »

Shouldn't a berserk dwarf be barred from migrating? Going berserk expels them from your civilisation, and afaik only civ members can migrate. Could have been a deeply miserable dwarf who went bonkers practically upon entering the map.

Dwarfs from an older fort migrate with the basic mood they had when the last fort was abandoned (even if they migrate five years later - "offload" stasis prevents happy/unhappy thoughts from timing out); embarking on a world where you recently abandoned a fort in the middle of a tantrum spiral or loyalty cascade can lead to much fun. Migrants will also bring along contaminants they acquired in the old place, like syndrome dust or evil rain residue.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:35:10 am »

Shouldn't a berserk dwarf be barred from migrating? Going berserk expels them from your civilisation, and afaik only civ members can migrate. Could have been a deeply miserable dwarf who went bonkers practically upon entering the map.

Dwarfs from an older fort migrate with the basic mood they had when the last fort was abandoned (even if they migrate five years later - "offload" stasis prevents happy/unhappy thoughts from timing out); embarking on a world where you recently abandoned a fort in the middle of a tantrum spiral or loyalty cascade can lead to much fun. Migrants will also bring along contaminants they acquired in the old place, like syndrome dust or evil rain residue.

The dwarves show up not-yet-berserk, but terribly unhappy. Then they go berserk.

This has nice applications, actually, I remember starting a dojo monastery fort and creating 2-3 parties of martial arts monks, abandoning and restarting. In the end I had a solid monk population appearing amongst every migrant wave.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?