Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60

Author Topic: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.  (Read 87832 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Metropolitan Area. A DF-assisted forum RPG.
« Reply #645 on: January 27, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »

It was a weird vote. The two senators who most eagerly voted d4x out of the senate suddenly decided that they have rid the council of the most graceful and noteworthy member.
I said no such thing I merely said he accepted his removal gracefully, and thought he was considered slightly too harshly in the eyes of the citizens.
OOC
As for inactive senators maybe we should start voting them off so the new players have a go?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: January 27, 2014, 07:31:09 pm »

OOC
As for inactive senators maybe we should start voting them off so the new players have a go?
OOC
We should do, have a few players to try with, and a few who desire council positions.
IC
I suppose we may have been harsh on her, but it is for the good of the settlement that people like her don't hold the same sway.

But again, that is too harsh, we can't really assess her metal state without a proper doctor, I presume she is still working fine, and I also assume she may simply have nothing to say to us in particular, we did vote her from power. I still stand that it was the right decision and the people are right to not value her voice, who knows what guides it.

Edit:
Cain Onlinasteb(19) petitions for position of Citizens Liaison. (sorry bout that)

On another note, at this time I am on the council but, like my predecessor, hold no position, as the position is unassigned I would request permission to assume role of Citizen Liaison, I understand we are in need of a War Leader but believe I am not capable of leading in times of stress, and I am more suited to dealing with people.

I would add that the people may be more inclined to speak of their concerns if they knew who to speak to, and have access to advice, also allowing the council to avoid dealing with some non-issues by letting someone filter what is brought to them first.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:47:08 pm by Cain12 »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: January 27, 2014, 08:32:45 pm »

OOC
did you want to make that an official vote cain? because that action does exist:
"You may petition the council for a government position, if you either seek to occupy or create an empty one, or you have more influence than the current official.  Make a post explaining why you are better for the job.  You must have at least 4 influence.
Council members vote yea or nay
If the overall vote is yes you gain the position, and 3 influence
If the overall vote is no you lose 6 influence"
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: January 27, 2014, 08:36:39 pm »

Yeah, sorry, will edit the proper format in now.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:35 pm »

Cain Onlinasteb (19) petitions for position of citizen liason
For:1
Against:0
If not in war, i'm sure you will serve us all well in peace.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: January 28, 2014, 02:15:58 am »

Yes...I shall soon be influential once again. And things are going well, I see.

OOC: Could we make a list of our current workplaces? It might be helpful to see which industries are well supported architecturally and which still need improvement.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 28, 2014, 05:52:44 am »

For:1
If not in war, i'm sure you will serve us all well in peace.
Since no other candidates are around, I would say Yea. Though I am a bit concerned by the rate at which our new senator is gaining influence. Are his intentions so noble? Wouldn't he usurp power one day? 

For:2

OOC: Neblime, doesn't Cain's own vote count? maybe it should be 3:0?

IC: I also request for senatorial investigation of Domas Satdeduk influence. In the influence chart I see him as a +2, while I can remember no way he could have gained that (being mentionable of Zargoth). I also think it would be good to clean the chart from non-mentionable relatives.

OOC: Could we make a list of our current workplaces? It might be helpful to see which industries are well supported architecturally and which still need improvement.
We have a dedicated hospital, and a longhall (feasts, meetings). We also have some designs (http://gorgeadmired.wikia.com/wiki/Designs), and we are in the process of building a smelter.
The list of industries we currently employ are:
1. farming.
2. animal breeding, milking, shearing.
3. cloth production
4. tanning and butchery
5. clothes making
6. glass making
7. masonry
8. carpentry
9. mechanics
10. leatherworking
11. smith craft(including weapon, armor and ammunition crafting)
12. bone and wood carving (including xbows and ammunition)
13. soap making
14. brick making
15. distillation
16. cooking

may have missed something, but you get the idea. we are in about every business there is. With so little chance of survival we have to balance things very carefully, as a shortage of some benign resource can lead to a swift end of our enterprise.(OOC: not that it will be too bad, as I already have several ideas of how to spice things up in the next community RPG :) )

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:57 am »

OOC
Cain's vote does not count, yes council members vote on this, but being the petitioner it's in the hands of the remaining council members.  I might edit the rule to clarify that.
As for domas I have NO idea....   I'll have a look

If we do die, I would see that as almost a good thing because we can get going with alot less faffing around on how things will be done.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:59:22 am by neblime »

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 28, 2014, 07:04:41 am »

Gentlemen, I think it is high time for us to consolidate our history up until now. All of you who feel ability and capacity to form history for future generations are welcome to do so in the wiki. It does not have to be an academic layout or a thorough analysis. It can be as simple as personal memories about events you took part in or heard of...

We need it badly before the new thread in community games subforum, and it is a good chance to improve your standings by glorifying your achievements and diminishing achievements of your competitors. After all it is historians who make history.

Right now the only chronicler we have is Neblime, but it would be nice to add a little bit of healthy competition in this area. I plan to withdraw myself from this area of competence because I have more then enough political weight already being Overseer and Royal Liaison. So you guys will be the only ones to interpret history and evaluate the past. I, being an overseer, of course will answer any factual question you may have, but only about recent or ongoing events.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 28, 2014, 09:53:06 am »

OOC: To help with the balancing of resource, we should keep track of both how many of each workshop, as well as how many workers with more than a certain level of skill the fortress possesses.
In character: *to self, softly* Yes, this shall advance my goals most excellently. *out loud* Hope the council manages to get more graves dug. That last attack was dreadful, quite dreadful indeed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:29:20 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 28, 2014, 11:36:40 am »

IC: Yes, I imagine you will be fine for this position. I feel very assured that the citizens may contact you if they have need, and that you may relay this information to us, yes?

OOC: I suppose people can now send anonymous complaints to us through dear Cain here.

For:3

Gentlemen, I think it is high time for us to consolidate our history up until now. All of you who feel ability and capacity to form history for future generations are welcome to do so in the wiki. It does not have to be an academic layout or a thorough analysis. It can be as simple as personal memories about events you took part in or heard of...

We need it badly before the new thread in community games subforum, and it is a good chance to improve your standings by glorifying your achievements and diminishing achievements of your competitors. After all it is historians who make history.

Right now the only chronicler we have is Neblime, but it would be nice to add a little bit of healthy competition in this area. I plan to withdraw myself from this area of competence because I have more then enough political weight already being Overseer and Royal Liaison. So you guys will be the only ones to interpret history and evaluate the past. I, being an overseer, of course will answer any factual question you may have, but only about recent or ongoing events.

OOC: I'll see what I can do, which probably isn't much. I suppose our chronicler can ask for personal accounts or quotes regarding the events written of, yea? Mayhaps I can chip in that way? Still, even if I don't write the history myself, I suppose I could ask those who do to paint my actions in a certain light.

Edit: I just thought of something vaguely amusing (to me, of course): Retroactively changing history. If this game where to last for centuries (which I doubt will happen), then history could become distorted or changed to fit the whims of the current rulers. Why, we founders could be demonized into manipulative tyrants who routinely skinned puppies for laughs (or something less dramatic, but you get my point). Can anyone say "We have always been at war with the Elf nation"?  :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:45:12 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 28, 2014, 12:00:56 pm »

OOC
Ah so you figured it out eh Kero, that is my plan, destroy you all and have Lord Cain's descendants rewrite you all as monsters, exaggerating your worse qualities while making Cain appear a saint, one who suffered greatly to save the people from them, his daughter sold to the goblins, the trip that broke his back an assassination attempt, his trusted ally Kerod betraying him over a ring.

I kid of course, too much effort/impossible.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 28, 2014, 12:15:30 pm »

OOC: I'll see what I can do, which probably isn't much. I suppose our chronicler can ask for personal accounts or quotes regarding the events written of, yea? Mayhaps I can chip in that way? Still, even if I don't write the history myself, I suppose I could ask those who do to paint my actions in a certain light.

Edit: I just thought of something vaguely amusing (to me, of course): Retroactively changing history. If this game where to last for centuries (which I doubt will happen), then history could become distorted or changed to fit the whims of the current rulers. Why, we founders could be demonized into manipulative tyrants who routinely skinned puppies for laughs (or something less dramatic, but you get my point). Can anyone say "We have always been at war with the Elf nation"?  :P

I envisioned it the other way around, but generally you got it right.

I planned it as a bottom->up process:
1. People who have their opinion about something write their memories, thoughts, accounts. They make them link-able to their profiles. Kind of representing that if you come to Kerod and ask what he remembers about the first senate session - that is what he would tell. Stuff that elderly people publish as memoirs.
2. Chroniclers make their own compilation of quotes, opinions and even blatant bullshit and disinformation and name it chronicles(obviously). Those chronicles may be about some period, about some entity, or whatever. Stuff that historians publish in their history books, magazines and brochures. They link it to their profiles.
3. Chief Chronicler then selects or makes an "official" history, that is more or less what we generally think happened. If we think that Chief Chronicler is corrupt, lying bastard - we vote him away and vote some other guy into the office, who will then prepare what he thinks is a real history of GorgeAdmired. This history is linked directly in the wiki (being official and all).

But of course if top->down approach suits you better - you are free to utilize it.

Cain, it is very much possible. Just make sure you have a personal biographer :)

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 28, 2014, 12:56:29 pm »

Well I suppose with Cain joining the council he should start keeping a journal then his version of events at least, starting full of hope after his appointment then showing the his reaction to the after-match of the bloody battle that began the year proper. And maybe hire a biographer.

ColdBones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:16 pm »

IC

In accordance with the Work Place/Living Space Integration Act, I propose that we either erect or excavate a mining hall.  The hall would be close to the entrance to the mines and provide a modest lunch room with seating for two to three dwarves and a small stockpile of drinks, to drink with our bagged lunches.  Some beds could be placed in a seperate room to form a temporary dormitory until such time as the resources are available to construct individual rooms for each miner and their immediate family.

Code: [Select]
-----D-----
|ff.....ff|
|S.......S|
|tc.....ct|
|tc.....ct|
|S...X...S|
|.........|
|D-D-D-D-D|
|.|.|.|.|.|
|b|b|b|b|b|
|h|h|h|h|h|
|s|s|s|s|s|
-----------
- | = wall, constructed or natural

. = floor
t = table
c = chair
f = food stockpile (drinks only)
S = support, constructed or natural column
D = door
b = bed
h = chest
s = statue
X = up/down stairs.  Could start as just down and be upgraded to up/down to allow for expansion
I've included a chest for each miner, which is more than specified in the law; however, this gives us somewhere to keep our dirty work clothes, so that we don't drag all of the mine dust into the long hall for meals.  If the resources are not yet available, the area for the rooms could be left open and a few beds placed here as a temporary dormatory.  How that works will depend on whether or not the miner's hall is constructed above ground or hewn from the rock below ground.  I propose that we hew the miner's hall from the stone, as all miners prefer natural stone walls to those constructed of wood........or cooked dirt.

We could, additionally, add alcoves to the east and west to allow space for the slabs of those that have fallen in our noble profession.  That can be added later though.

OOC

Is there a list of council positions that I can't find somewhere? 

Also - how does the influence for proposing designs work?  Do I get any influence for proposing the design for the memorial for the fallen miner?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 60