Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 29709 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2014, 02:09:06 pm »

Looking really good so far. Shame it can't see more than one bellow the current level as really steep slopes will look odd, but otherwise I like where this is going.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »

Looks pretty good. I was worried about the lack of ramps at first but watching you move it all became quite natural.

I think I'd rather have a distinction between 'the next level is too low to see right now' and 'there is a drop off', though. The Teal going to large expanses of flat terrain in one z-level is a little jarring. Maybe...have a flat gray for stuff 1 z-level down you can't see and teal for where there are 2+ z-levels before the next ground? That's a little more complicated to render, but I think it'd look better.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2014, 03:08:05 pm »

Well, it doesn't look good this way either :(

A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:33 pm »

Can't you do the DF thing and have only dots for stuff one z-level below (soz-2 in this case) and then teal?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2014, 05:17:24 pm »

Can't you do the DF thing and have only dots for stuff one z-level below (soz-2 in this case) and then teal?

Like this?

An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2014, 05:49:03 pm »

Yeah, that looks pretty good.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2014, 09:46:24 am »

Should I just scrap the curses renderer or try to make it work? Would anyone miss it if it went away?

The curses library is the terminal interface, and is what DF's legacy renderer uses.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2014, 09:49:38 am »

Should I just scrap the curses renderer or try to make it work? Would anyone miss it if it went away?

The curses library is the terminal interface, and is what DF's legacy renderer uses.
I like it, But I personally wouldn't miss it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:11 am »

I really can't say: as a player I don't really care for the nuts and bolts that goes inside the game, only for the playing experience. So, the real question s, would this make things easier or harder for you? Would it be easier to code? Would it be harder to make ports for other OS? Etc etc....

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2014, 10:42:43 am »

I really can't say: as a player I don't really care for the nuts and bolts that goes inside the game, only for the playing experience. So, the real question s, would this make things easier or harder for you? Would it be easier to code? Would it be harder to make ports for other OS? Etc etc....

Right now, we have two renderers: Curses and TCOD (graphics)

The curses version works in terminals (i.e can be run remotely via putty/ssh/telnet), the graphical version requires SDL/OpenGL and requires a desktop to play.

So basically, if I remove the curses renderer, remote setups like servers for Cataclysm won't work. I might write innate multi-player support later though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2014, 11:53:29 am »

Hmm. Well, personally I only do games like this single player on my laptop anyway so I wouldn't miss it any.
Come play Mafia with us!

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2014, 12:34:12 pm »

Some basic land sprites for right now.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2014, 12:37:45 pm »

Thanks!

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »

Possible NPCs....

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »

It wouldn't bother me if you dumped Curses. You can do some really nice stuff with TCOD which can really add to the atmosphere.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15