Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Astrobase Command  (Read 5549 times)

The Dystopian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Astrobase Command
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:40 pm »

I know I'll be getting some comments about how inadmissible it is for me to bring this game to your attention so let me go with a quick liminary declaration:

I hereby most solemnly promise and swear that I am in no way affiliated in any shape or form with the game nor anyone involved with it;
And that I am not a bot (I am certified 80%+ Human)

This being said, I can't believe that a game being described as 'part single player Space Station 13 and part sci-fi Dwarf Fortress' by RPS passed below everyone's radar.

It is yet another Kickstarter campaign and they are going for the dreadfully hipsterish retro futurism (hopefully when they get an artist it's going to change for the better) but it's a sci-fi sandbox base-building with z-levels and RPG elements and all. Maybe it's just trying to tick all the boxes and I'm not fully sure how this one is going to turn out but I wanted to hear you guys opinion.

Linkies:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/20/seeking-spacebucks-astrobase-command-kickstarter/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/astrobasecommand/astrobase-command
http://astrobasecommand.com/

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Astrobase Command
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »

Why are there so many DF-like sci-fi games lately?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:07:35 pm »

Well, that sounds perfect..

I absolutely love the art style. It looks like Evil Genius in spaaaaaaaace.

Key Features

Fully customizable player race - You get to decide the look and feel of your race with customizable appearance, points-based attribute selection and a long list of unique racial traits, like Hive Mind, Ancient, Warlike or Logical. Each member of your race will be united by some or all of the characteristics you choose.
3D Station Building - While initially limited to basic power plants, crew quarters, shuttle bays and a command module, the resources and technologies you bring back from missions will allow you to build to your heart’s content. Whether you want to be militaristic, scientific, social or just want to make a station with a particular look, there’s a module for that.
A great Crew of AI Characters - You can build as big as you want, but if you don’t have the right people for the job, your station won’t survive for very long! As you recruit members of your race and others and assign them to roles on-station and off, you will see them grow and develop through the game’s deep skill system. As they progress, they pick up personality traits which inform their decision making. Their story will unfold through the events they face and the decisions they make (as well as the ones you make for them).
Robust AI Storytelling System - You may explore unknown planets, encounter new alien races there, horribly offend them in a diplomatic mission and later have to deal with their invasion of your station. Our mission system will help you write your race’s history as it ventures out into unknown space in search of resources, allies and the countless treasures waiting to be discovered.
AI-Generated Events – Whether it’s a fire, a core system malfunction, invasion or an alien artifact giving everyone hallucinations, you and your crew will face events spanning the catastrophic to the hilarious (and sometimes hilariously catastrophic)
Real-Time Squad-Based Combat - You may sometimes be called upon to command your crew in combat, from small groups to massive regiments. Equip them well and lead them carefully as death is permanent in Astrobase Command.

I yearn for all of this.

Posting to be disappointed eventually. Hopefully this one proves my pessimism wrong.

Ugh, I'm about to throw all my money at this. ;_;
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:22:01 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:57 pm »

Why are there so many DF-like sci-fi games lately?
Because there's already a DF-like fantasy game

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:40:20 am »

PTW

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 01:43:27 am »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 01:59:43 am »

PTW
Your avatar is broken.

Yes I was actually seeing how long it took someone too notice lol...sorry I dont have a bunch of money or anything to give you as a prize for winning. But in the spirit of Thanksgiving I would like you to buy you a game randomly for pointing it out. Message me and I will buy you a steam game worth up to $20 (take advantage of that steam autumn sale!)

As for the avatar I will get it fixed tomorrow ;)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 02:02:17 am »

PTW
Your avatar is broken.

Yes I was actually seeing how long it took someone too notice lol...sorry I dont have a bunch of money or anything to give you as a prize for winning. But in the spirit of Thanksgiving I would like you to buy you a game randomly for pointing it out. Message me and I will buy you a steam game worth up to $20 (take advantage of that steam autumn sale!)

Most likely lots of people noticed, but didn't bother mentioning it because they figured you knew.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 02:04:18 am »

PTW
Your avatar is broken.

Most likely lots of people noticed, but didn't bother mentioning it because they figured you knew.

I am sure...but thinking things like that doesn't do anything for anyone :P not to mention I did say it was a personal experiment!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 02:09:14 am »

Well i have to say, with all the emphasis on relation and all the different trait, personality and so on, reliance on AI to get the ob done in battle an so on.. frag it, i like what they are doing and i just hope it wont be delivered in 2021 or end up canceled. Idea is marvelous and i hope they succeed.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 01:50:39 pm »

Yeah I backed it as well.
Now just posting here, to.. well.. watch?

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 05:39:17 am »

Looks great, ptw.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 05:51:27 am »

Doesn't sound very SS13 from the features, but eh, PTW.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 02:38:41 pm »

Doesn't sound very SS13 from the features, but eh, PTW.
You maintain a Space station where things can go haywire at any moment, that sounds SS13 to me. Exept its not directly caused by players.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 03:01:27 pm »

What a wonderful thing to be disappointed about! Pledging now!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2