Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "needs building material non-economic item"  (Read 8608 times)

bavspaceprogram

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Only here to ask questions
    • View Profile
"needs building material non-economic item"
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:37:43 am »

Whenever I try to build something (anything), I get the message "needs building material non-economic item." At first I thought that for some reason I was ill-prepared, but then I realized I had plenty of materials. I have no idea what is going on, and it's completely blocking me from progressing. Any help would be appreciated.
This is most definitely a forum, to say the least.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "needs building material non-economic item"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:06:54 am »

Is there a path from where your material is to where you want to build something?

If your material is ore or flux, check if you have allowed to use it ([z]-Stone)

If you build something like magma forge, check if you have magma-safe material.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 02:59:55 am »

Above post has most of what I thought of, so pay attention to it  :P
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:16:00 am »

New players often don't know that some of the spaces in a workshop are not passable.  If you build your workshops in tiny rooms you will find that your dwarves cannot path into or out of them.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

bavspaceprogram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 08:17:34 pm »

It's not that they can't get to a location to build it, it's that it doesn't even let me try. It just tells me I need a building material. I don't have a placement option at all.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:23:10 pm »

It's not that they can't get to a location to build it, it's that it doesn't even let me try. It just tells me I need a building material. I don't have a placement option at all.

Are you by chance, trying to make a 2nd floor to something? Building up perhaps?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

bavspaceprogram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 08:26:12 pm »

No. I'm only trying to place a wood furnace.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:29:17 pm »

Weird.
I had a big problem every time I tried to build upwards.
I soon learned I needed stairs of the up or up/down nature, that were built right.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

bavspaceprogram

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 08:39:59 pm »

I just completely redownloaded the game and I still can't build anything. I'm fairly new, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:34 pm »

What materials do you have? Furnaces require fire-safe materials, and magma buildings require magma-safe materials.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:48 am »

I just completely redownloaded the game and I still can't build anything. I'm fairly new, so I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong.

If you want to start fresh, you can just delete the region folder in the save folder.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:04 am »

It has been stated in this thread, but let me try to rephrase: a furnace requires a fire-safe material, usually stone. So, you can't build a furnace until you've dug into the stone layer. The solution is probably to dig down until you find a stone layer (anything not called sand, clay, silt, loam or peat). Dig out some room in there and you will see boulders appearing of the stone material. Once you see a boulder, you should be able to build your furnace.

To dig down, you need a 'down stair' on the surface, and up/down stairs on all other levels.

(The error message "need non-economic item" refers to the fact that some stones such as gems, ores, and coal, are designated "economic" stones and will not be used for building by default. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Stone has a list of the non-economic stones.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »

in the first post you mention not being able to build anything at all. Does that include a wall? Which materials do you have available as building materials? Did you try different places, different z-levels?

the more info, the better we can help

So far it still seems like no access
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.