Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )  (Read 19643 times)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2013, 01:17:30 am »

I dont see the problem with a healing belt.

Especially for low levels.

I mean, he coulda bought like a thousand CLW potions for the same money, right? And it's only got so many uses per day.

I'm going to make a houserule, however-the belt only works for you, or whoever has worn it for at least 24 hours.
One Healing Belt = 15 Potions of Cure Light Wounds.  Based on cost. (750 GP versus 50 GP.)
2d8 versus 1d8+1.  Averages of 9 versus 5.5.  One use, standard action versus potentially a move action + a standard action.  Action economy advantage.

If you determine that you don't need your Healing Belt anymore, its value is equivalent to 7.5 Potions of Cure Light Wounds.  Meaning, if you've used your Healing Belt at least 4 times for its minimum setting (which takes 2 days), it's better than 15 Potions of Cure Light Wounds.

Based against a Wand of Cure Light Wounds: 750 gold for 50 charges.  Each charge heals 1d8+1.  Again, 9 versus 5.5, action economy advantage.  The Wand requires a move action to ready and a standard action to use.  If you want to switch away from the Wand, you must use a move action to do so.  A Healing Belt will require, at most, 12 days of actual adventuring to pay for itself.  If you're planning to sell it, it requires 6 days of actual adventuring to pay for itself.

It is unmatched for early level healing.  From levels 1-7 it is the best, and from that point onward you aren't going to be using Wands of Cure Light Wounds except for patching up after combat IF you expect to continue fighting that day.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:00 am »

I dont see the problem with a healing belt.

Especially for low levels.

I mean, he coulda bought like a thousand CLW potions for the same money, right? And it's only got so many uses per day.

I'm going to make a houserule, however-the belt only works for you, or whoever has worn it for at least 24 hours.
15 potions - a potion of CLW costs 50 GP.  So if you get injured more than 15 times in a game, the belt is a better bet.  Or a wand that has 50 straight uses for the same price, but has that spell list/UMD restriction on it.  Hmmm, that is kinda cheap for that effect, thinking about it.  ^_^

EDIT: Ah, as above. ^_^

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2013, 01:24:16 am »

Well, my house-rule balances it out then.

It's sorta cheaper, but you can only use it on yourself or one person at a time-it's much more limited than a potion or wand that can be used on anyone. And if you get KO'ed, you're not going to be conscious to use the belt to save yourself!

Okay, I'm actually not a jerk GM and I'll probably make it blast off all it's charges to save you if you're in danger of dying. It's a design feature... *scribble scribble*
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2013, 02:34:10 am »

Has everyone who needs to posted?

;)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2013, 05:51:27 am »

Ooh, that felt competent.

Given the apparently busy street, I think my immediate thought of stabbing the guard is a bad one. If I sneak attacked him, the maximum damage would be 3d6, which probably wouldn't be enough to kill him. I don't have my potion of disguise self on me. And although he is probably evil this would still be cold blooded murder.

We could try the back way (but that might scare the Widow);
We could try distracting the guard whilst you get in;
We could try getting the guard to chase someone away;
We could try stabbing the guard (and any of his friends who then come... - this could work as the area is not hostile, but, hmm, not ideal...).

We could also just forget speaking to the Widow first, go search for the body, and then come back to the Widow at a convenient time? Rather than having a possibly hostile group after us whilst we search? I think this might actually be the best idea.

edit: also, it is a duergar guarding the house, who can do limited magic, and is probably employed by someone rich or with connections or more likely both. So. Also he is probably immune to illusions and paralysis. He might be blindable/glarable if his glasses were removed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:39:35 am by lawastooshort »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2013, 06:44:15 am »

I could just fly up and go in the chimney or an open window.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2013, 06:58:39 am »

*readies flyswatter*
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2013, 07:08:37 am »

That sounds like a good plan, but anything resembling breaking and entering might make the widow a bit twitchy in the circumstances. No point sneaking in if she screams for help ;)

You could sneak in and leave a note and sneak out again... she could meet us at the Inn tomorrow...

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2013, 12:55:58 pm »

Don't forget, Ari has a sap on him. We don't HAVE to kill the guard, just knock him unconscious so one of the petals can get past and leave a message.

Just curious... What spells and magic do we have available on us right now?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »

I have charm person..

One petal can cast sleep song (lullaby), which gives the listener a but of debuffs to will and stuff.
Two petals can cast sleep song (sleep), which you can try to guess what it does.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »

Alright, before I go to sleep, here's an idea of mine:

Tyri flies up onto the roof, making sure to avoid the eyes of any lookouts if possible. She's tiny, so she should have a natural advantage, and people rarely look up. Once she's on the roof, she gets above a window, writes a message to the widow and uses either mage hand or presdigitation to knock on the window and get the attention of the widow. When said widow opens the window, Tyri quickly floats the message in and flies like the wind. The message should tell the widow to leave her home and head to a public place where we can meet up with her.

Thoughts?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 25, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »

She might be under house arrest, in which case that won't work at all.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »

Yeah, if someone from the guard or nobility is actually in there with her "asplainin' the facts of life" to her, things will get awkward fast.  Of course, if that is the case, we should probably get in there post haste.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 25, 2013, 02:53:20 pm »

Hmm - Ari didn't take the sap as I was having a sudden panic at over-carrying and was readjusting my load as far down as I could... Whoops.

We could compromise - why not have Tyrileaf fly in to leave a message to warn the Widow that she's coming and not to be afraid or to scream, and then go in, in say 5 minutes.

Then she talks to the Widow and gets a description.

This is probably simplest, I wonder if we are overthinking this :)

Alternatively we could go back to Ari's clinic, pick up a disguise self potion, and then either murder the guard or make him chase after Ari, who could then turn invisible round a corner and lose the guard. But I don't really think I'd outright murder someone yet, so there's that.

We could even try to bribe the guard away or diplomacy him away, if one of us has any diplomacy, but it's unlikely to work.

So the best would probably be for Tyrileaf to infiltrate the house with first a message, then herself, as above. We'll be nearby and have an emergency signal, which if it goes off we'll rush in and murder the guard(s) and then have to deal with the consequences.

ninja - yes, Tyrileaf would have to be careful and if there is any explaining going on we should do maximum violence... and then deal with the consequences...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2013, 02:59:20 pm »

Hmmm, I have +9 from skill ranks and Charisma, while Tyri has +8 from natural aptitude plus her Charm Person spell and Grace has +4 from her skill ranks.  Any of us might be able to diplomance a bit, or at least distract him long enough for Tyri to get in and out. 

EDIT: Drat, I forgot to pick up a whistle during chargen.  I could have given that to Tyrileaf.  >_<
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:01:01 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16