Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74

Author Topic: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 44 - The Markets  (Read 139657 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 36 - Splitting the Loot
« Reply #765 on: February 10, 2014, 06:22:25 pm »

((Sorry about not posting, I had class from 8:30 to 20:00 today.))

Dude. Ow. What the hell? How... Okay, that's not funny. What are you studying?
((Putting my bet down for Temporal Mechanics.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 10, 2014, 09:55:22 pm »

Not nearly enough, if he spends half his time in class. (Or at meals, or in transit between classes, or...)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: February 11, 2014, 07:00:34 am »

Not nearly enough, if he spends half his time in class. (Or at meals, or in transit between classes, or...)
((The two hours of transit between home and school weren't calculated in.  And between start of classes at 8:30 and the end at 20:00 I've got about an hour and half of free time. So that makes for about 10,5 hours spend in class. The good thing about all of my classes being heaped onto monday is that I've got very reasonable hours for the rest of the week. So yeah, just a heads up if I don't seem to post much mondays this semester))

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 11, 2014, 07:14:18 am »

((The two hours of transit between home and school weren't calculated in.  And between start of classes at 8:30 and the end at 20:00 I've got about an hour and half of free time. So that makes for about 10,5 hours spend in class. The good thing about all of my classes being heaped onto monday is that I've got very reasonable hours for the rest of the week. So yeah, just a heads up if I don't seem to post much mondays this semester))

Duly noted, m'boy. You're mildly crazy for trying to shove everything onto one day, but hey.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

((To be fair, only the lesson that starts at 8:30 was my choice, the rest weren't up to me. ))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 11, 2014, 08:42:10 am »

((...Are you taking a weird combination of classes, like dual-majoring in biology and theater, or does your school just suck as scheduling?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:37 am »

((...Are you taking a weird combination of classes, like dual-majoring in biology and theater, or does your school just suck as scheduling?))
((The latter, I'm afraid. They apparently screwed up with the classrooms at one point and had to shuffle around a bit, resulting in these weird giant blocks of classes, or classes that have a 3 hour break between them because they couldn't find a room that were empty for that timeslot))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:22 am »

((I had a similar situation last semester, though I had to go back and forth between two facilities about half an hour apart that day, and it was from 8.30 only every other week. Then again, most of that was lab work, which I like (including one potentially six-hour block of lab stuff). I actually really like these unequal schedules, particularly when most of the workload is on Monday.))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:29 am »

UPDATE TIEM GO!

Please? Today is my last day off from work and I want to spend it horribly injuring Thuun some more :P

Indeed, I do this.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:30 pm »

I'll do my best!
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Go Mad: Turn 37 - Interlude
« Reply #775 on: February 11, 2014, 11:17:22 pm »

HOLY SHIT THIS TOOK FOREVER TO WRITE.

- Turn 37: Chapter 1 End -
Welcome to the final stages of Chapter One...

Heal Lyu. Look for precious objects. Contemplate ways to improve my hand.
The spell held mostly firm in your mind, you stand up from your seat on the rather uncomfortable cobblestones and approach Lyu, green lights whirling and cavorting around your rockhand. You kneel next to the severely injured priest and lay your rockhand on his chest. “Right, let’s see what happens,” you mutter and cast the spell.

(3+1) Your pebbles rattle a little as the magic passes through them and into Lyu. Green sparks spiral out and dance along Lyu’s chest, every now and then a single spark stopping next to a graze or cut. The majority of the cloud of sparks continues on until they reach the badly bulging, rather dented pieces of his broken ribs. There’s a terrible rattling, gurgling sound followed by a sickenly wet crackle as his chest reinflates and the bones are reforged. The priest is sent into a coughing fit, but it rapidly subsides and he winces and touches his chest gingerly. “I’d not care to repeat that,” he winces.

You shrug and stand, stretching your muscles that cramped under the magic usage. “Well, I’ve still got to do your arm,” you inform him and rearrange yourself. The spell is still mostly complete in your mind. You lay both hands on the broken arm and release your magic. (6) Green light flares brightly and the village square is momentarily turned emerald. The rich smell of fertile, wet earth fills your nostrils and grass spontaneously blooms into existence beneath Lyu’s arm, rapidly spreading into a circle about two metres wide. Lyu’s arm begins to glow, too, first a startling green and then slowly inching into eye-searing white. The glow rapidly spreads to his chest and head.

After a few instants the light fades, leaving Lyu’s arm brand new. Except… for… Huh. Deep, bottle-green marks reminiscent of tattoos in the design of some Limerete tribals now spiral up Lyu’s left arm. Their spidery design traces from the back of his left hand to his shoulder, where they appear to bloom out in a strange sort of flame pattern across his chest. The pattern continues up his neck and underneath his grey hair, although the designs avoid his face.

You sit back and eye the design. “Uh… Thuun?” you call over your shoulder. “What the hell is this?”

“What the hell is what? I can’t exactly get up and look,” he answers.

“Lyu. I healed his arm and now there’s some weird tattoo thing.”

Thuun is silent for a moment. Finally he props himself up on one arm. “Ah. You over-extended yourself and reshaped his flesh a bit. Don’t worry, it’s harmless. He’ll just be more receptive to his next healing, that’s all.”

Lyu gained an attribute! You warped his flesh with Life magic so badly that it created purpose-built channels! The next time Lyu gets healing magic applied to his head, torso or left arm, the magic gets an automatic +1 applied to it!

Perfect casting! +1 Life exp! One point to go to level up.

You shrug and stand, arching your back. “Well, all done.” You take a few steps back from the priest and eye your work. Satisfied, you turn to glance over the village. Felice mentioned that there might be something of value left that he couldn’t find; you decide to have a look for yourself. You dust off your hands and decide to go potter around the ruins for a couple of minutes. (4) Your heart’s not really in it, since Felice and his fancy bracelet have surely already picked the place clean. Nevertheless, you press on. Your foot knocks against a small box. You stop and crouch to take a closer look. Inside, you find 76 gold! (5) Buoyed by this find, you move on. Something glittery catches your eye. You roughly bend your rockhand into the shape of a scoop and dig a bit at the rocks. (4) It’s another book! The book is leatherbound and a chocolate brown. The front is marked with a golden symbol, the glitteriness that caught your eye. The symbol is a triangle but the bottom line extends out  beyond the vertices, almost as though its an extremely simple drawing of a mountain.

Lie peacefully and appreciate the skies for now. If I get bored, examine swear words on skull.
Your chest and arm are seriously sore. Apparently Ekoka’s remedial Life magic skills don’t extend to magical anaesthesia, but ohwell. You decide that the best thing to do is to just lie back and wait for the pain to wander off by itself.

With nothing better to do other than look at the slowly darkening sky and hoping a bird doesn’t fly overhead, you pick up the skull and examine the words. They appear to have been carved into the skull with a knife and then dyed black. The writing is really quite pretty, whoever did it was a master of penmanship. So why the hell did they write swear words all over a skull? The reasoning utterly baffles you. You’re not entirely sure that there’s any rhyme or reason to the swear words, even. Maybe whoever did it was crazy. The harmless kind, not the I-eat-babies-and-old-grandmas kind.

1.Focus some regen into fixing my jaw, and assuming Lyu actually gets healed by Ekoka then ask him to give Cyrus a few words and quick service.
You nudge some of the light out of your legs and into your jaw. You wince as the pain in the break doubles and redoubles; all of a sudden it fades in a tidal wave of endorphins. “Much better,” you sigh and rub your newly healed jaw as the light fades.

Your legs feel really odd now. You struggle to sit up and look at them. Well, the entire leg structure appears to be there, but everything from the knee down is miniature. Awesome. However, it does seem to be growing slowly!

Wait. Wait wait wait. Are those BABY LEGS? So… you really do actually regrow lost limbs entirely from scratch? Huh. Well. You decide that next time you’ll try harder to not lose your limbs. Having baby legs is not your idea of a good time.

You put your disturbingly small legs out of mind and glance over at the healed and inked up priest. “Hey, Lyu, will you say some words for Cyrus?”

The priest nods his assent. “When the rather debilitating pain in my chest leaves, I’ll be glad to,” he answers.

Short Term Action: ... Search for loot, I guess.
You eye the flimsy sword… thing that Felice gave you. “People actually fight with these things?” you ask nobody in particular. Oh well, it’ll do for now. You shrug and decide to have a poke around for valuables. No mercenary ever got rich by avoiding looting, after all. (4) In a mostly-intact house, you find a small safe. Heavy application of a boot cracks the safe open to reveal 90 gold coins inside! You gleefully scoop them into your pockets. (6) The glee is mildly infectious and you happily turn over the rest of the house. You find five more caches of coins, amounting to another 246 coins.

You’re really rather pleased about that.

Short term: Look through the other three books to see what they're about.
Dismissing the buzzing of your magical bracelet as mere happenstance and not some sort of message - that’d just be superstitious and silly, after all - you shut the book on Force magic. The buzzing immediately cuts off. Huh. You shrug and check out the other three. As you suspected,  they’re all books on magic; one of Fire magic, one on water magic and the last one, the cream one, appears to be about Light magic. Cool. Entirely useless to you, since you don’t practice magic, but still pretty cool.

Kidzuku buzzes again and startles you into dropping the Light magic book. The book hits the floor with a thud and falls open to a very peculiar page covered in hundreds of different symbols. As you bend to pick up the precious book the symbols catch your eye. It’s a design, similar to the network that covers Kidzuku. It appears to be a treatise, or a map? Maybe? At the centre of the design is a winged shape. Some sort of bat? No, it’s tail and neck are too long. The network of lines centre around and stem from the winged shape, spiralling out in a web.

You wonder what it means.

“Hey, I found us a horse and cart!” Baldur calls from the back of the village. Somehow, one lonely old nag escaped the slaughter. Too placid to run and too old and stringy to be butchered, the nag has survived alongside a small cart that’s probably big enough for the five adventurers. “What do you guys say to getting the hell out of here?”

The others all voice their assent. The sun hass almost completely set, leaving an overlay of shadows to the already-way-too-creepy village of Cnoc Adh. Baldur comes slowly around the corner, riding in the driver’s seat of a dinky little cart. The mare is old and grey - nobody’s sure if the greyness is natural colour or sheer time. The mercenary clucks her to a stop near the wreckage that is Cyrus’ tomb and sits negligently holding the reins in one hand.

Ekoka and Felice are the first in, each carrying books of varying colours. Thuun, ambulatory for the first time in hours, totters over on legs that would better suit an eight year old child. He too climbs in.  Finally Lyu wanders across. He stops next to the wreckage of the house, turns and raises his hands. “Father of Life and Light, grant this kind soul rest among the stars and may his rebirth be into a life as brilliant as the sun’s.” The eulogy is simple, but has been said for nearly a thousand years. Lyu takes a deep breath and continues. “May these other souls, touched and tainted by demon’s blood and fire, find peace in the greater beyond.”

A breeze sighs through the empty village. The last glimmer of fire fades from the sky as the newborn sun sinks beneath the horizon. Lyu turns and climbs aboard the cart. “let’s go.”

- Chapter 1 End -

- Interlude -

The cart trundles on, stopping only around midnight when the five of you feel safely far from the creepy village. By general consent, the cart is headed in the general direction of Shas Ria, the capital of Cylenia and the next stop along the road. The huge temple that Thuun saw in his vision is from a city beyond Shas Ria, but nobody knows which one. Hopefully in Shas Ria somebody will know where to go next.

As the sun rises the five of you set out once more. Iin the distance can be seen a tiny village, perhaps breaking there for a time is a good idea…

Read books. At some point when we're stopped, use Life Magic to make my hand alive and under my control. And ideally detachable.
The journey is long and the cart rattles annoyingly underneath you, but it’s a damn sight better than walking. You pick a book at random. (5) You pick the cream book with the golden starburst and open it. Light magic. Hmm. You’ve never done much Light magic, having never seen any point in it beyond creating a source of light.  But the book explains some of the concepts involved in Light magic and its like a whole new vista of possibilities opens before your eyes.

Light, it appears, is good for more than just lighting something up. It appears to be a crucial part in summoning rituals, although they look to be a tad beyond you just yet. It also, disturbingly, seems to extend into magical rituals involving the soul. That’s creepy. The book doesn’t describe them much, since soul-magic tends to be frowned upon by most people

The book also describes more normal techniques, such as creation of light, blinding of opponents and how to focus the light into burning a target from far away. You feel much smarter once you’ve finished reading the book. (+1 Level in Light magic! You can now create limited solid light.)

In time, the carriage comes to a stop. You gratefully climb out to stretch your legs. You’ve been itching to  try some new magic on your rockhand, too. Since the last time you experimented on rocks you blew your hand off, you decide to step away from the cart.

(6) Emerald light gleams and thunders through your hand. There’s a thunderous detonation followed by an immense pressure in your ears, as though the air around you was being compressed into your head. Just as the pressure become too intense it fades almost as fast as it appeared.

You look down at your rockhand, hoping to see something pretty cool. Sadly, it’s still just a rockhand. You can’t even twitch it.

You’re about to try again when you come to a realisation. This is a hand made of stone, there’s absolutely nothing alive in there. Life magic will do diddly squat for a lifeless lump of rock. You realise you’ll need some Earth magic in the mix to bind it properly.

(If you hadn’t rolled a six, you wouldn’t have had the wonderful realisation.)

(3+1) Each little pebble begins to glow orange. As you force Life magic in little spindles of green light appear. Using Earth magic as crude sutures and glue, you bind the Life magic into each stone and then into your arm. You’re not skilled enough for anything more exotic just yet, but at least you could achieve something…

As the light fades, you see that the central pebble of your rockhand has been metamorphosed into a lump of quartz. You can see a tiny green spark trapped inside the crystal; as you focus, the spark grows and rapidly forms a network through the surrounding rocks, laying out a pattern that is reminiscent of blood vessels and nerves. Well, that’s something.

+1 Life magic! Congratulations, you have reached level 1 in Life magic! You can heal from a distance of twenty feet or so. Touch-based healing gets a dynamic bonus, too.

Congratulations, you now have limited movement in your rockhand! You’ve reached the limits of what a bunch of pebbles can do. You can sort of control it with your mind - you can grip things, but fine motor control sucks. With better materials (Like copper and tiny crystals) you could make a truly impressive hand. You can also will it into various ‘shapes’. A cloud of pebbles, a whip, whatever you need. The downside is if the little quartz crystal ever breaks, the magic is destroyed and you have to start from scratch.

If I travel, do the same if I am not healed. If I am healed, practice my staff battling skills. If we stop anywhere, look into purchasing armor.
You feel much better for a night’s rest. When Baldur pulls the cart over at a small village, you clamber out and pick up your staff, intent on stretching your limbs out. You dip, strike and slide through a half-dozen different forms, practicing your handiwork as well as your footwork. It feels good to be up and moving again!

With your morning workout done, you decide to investigate the village. Hopefully a leatherworker will be able to provide you with some armour. (6) You find a leatherworker alright, and what a leatherworker he is! He normally trades with passing merchant caravans, but you’ve managed to reach him before any of this season’s merchants did. You step into the cool dimness of his shop. “Do you have any armour, my good man?” you ask cheerfully.

The leatherworker looks up and eyes you suspiciously, but when he sees the religious pendant around your neck and your - admittedly rather tattered - priestly garb, his suspicions noticeably fade. “Come in, come in! Yes, I do indeed have suits of armour!” He waves you to follow him towards a cabinet. “Our hunters occasionally run into bears and wolves, so my armour is often in demand.” He opens the cabinet to reveal several leather cuirasses and, with a glance at your proportions, he pulls down one suit in particular.

The cuirass is beautifully stitched together. You can see that a tremendous amount of work has gone into each piece of leather and the greatest of care has been taken in ensuring that the pieces are properly bound together. The garment is light yet quite sturdy. At a permissive nod from the shopkeeper, you decide to try it on. Somehow, the garment fits almost perfectly. The shopkeeper hands you accompanying greaves and vambraces, which fit snugly onto your legs and arms respectively. You feel significantly safer. “It looks good on you!” he grins, pointing you at a mirror.

You step into the light coming from the small window and turn to face the mirror. You can’t help it; you smile. The light reveals that the armour has been delicately inscribed with various Cylenian designs. Although they’re not magically empowered, you recognise runes for speed and protection carved into discreet places on the armour. The arm and leg armour is no less decorated, with swirls and whorls covering the leather in their tracery. “I’ll take it!” you crow happily. “How much?”

“Three hundred gold for the lot,” the leatherworker answers promptly. You balk slightly, since you’re carrying only a little more than half of that. He watches your face crumble. “Two hundred, twenty five if you don’t buy the vambraces,” he adds.

That’s a more reasonable number. Time to bargain. (5+1) “It’s fine craftsmanship,” you begin; “But I think a hundred for the lot is more suitable.” You know it’s an outrageously low number, but it’s important to follow procedure in these things.

“Excuse me?” he nearly shouts. “The cuirass is worth a hundred and fifty alone!”

Back and forth you two barter. He lingers on the craftsmanship of the runes, hinting that a mage of sufficient knowledge could empower them for you. You counter by saying that no merchants will be coming for some time due to the Ten Day Night hampering trade. He ripostes by remarking on how there are no other nearby armorers. You respond by shrugging your shoulders and saying you’re headed for Shas Ria, where you receive an ecclestial discount, but you thought to help the isolated village.

He gives in.

You pay full price for the cuirass and he tosses in the greaves for free. “You had better tell everybody who you bought these from!” he growls as he takes your money. You smile beatifically and slip the armour on before leaving the shop.

Assuming everything goes well and my legs get totally fixed by the time we reach a town, help Baldur get his greatsword reforged and take the extra broadsword off his hands. After that use any remaining time to look through the scarlet-with-teardrop book first, and the others if enough time still remains.
You wake up the following morning to a wonderful realisation. You have legs! You have fully grown, real, manly legs! When you awoke from your fever dream to discover that Baldur had divested you of your legs, you had feared that you would never again dance the cantata naked beneath the moon, as is only proper. At least, that’s what the Limeretes in the temple told you when you asked how they danced it back in Limero.

As the cart rumbles on, Baldur patiently guiding the sleepy mare along the dusty track, you pull out the book on Fire magic. You see that the teardrop is more of a stylised flame than anything, which makes sense. You idly flip through the book, hoping to find something of interest. In the very centre of the book, you find a diagram. At the centre of the diagram is a dragon you recognise from your dream. You shudder. After a moment, you realise that the page is describing Nathaniel, the Angel of Creativity. The implications make your brain hurt. Did you really meet an angel? And he gave you his strength? Holy crap. You continue examining the designs. Apparently you are not the only one that the angels have invested their power in. They’ve done it before. You stop and pull out the cream book, flipping to the middle. Yup, as you expected, the exact same diagram is in the centre there.  Huh. You go back to the red  book and keep reading. According to the treatise, the Aspect within continues to grow for as long as the mortal’s actions please the angel. Annoyingly, it doesn’t say how to do that.

You shrug and keep reading the rest of the book. The book describes some truly arcane uses of Fire magic, such as the best temperature to remove only a certain amount of skin from a person. It waxes lyrical on how to adjust and maintain temperatures, even varying them across a single spell. It also describes the various ways Fire magic interacts with other elements and after reading. Fire and Wind create lightning? That sound pretty sweet.

Finally, you find a new spell. A pretty neat spell, too!

Spell learned: Flame Cloak! You can sheathe yourself in flames. You become immune to Fire magic and gain a resistance to Ice magic and the cold. Anybody within reach can get burned. It would appear that the spell is quite draining and as long as its active you can only use touch-based magic and only in schools you have some mastery in. The spell lasts for three turns or until you end it. It has a three turn cooldown.
When the cart pulls over you leap out and caper around in sheer joy, ignoring the fact that your newly-grown legs actually rather hurt. Probably a side effect of cramming twenty-odd years of growth into a single day.

Traveling Action: Find a blacksmith to reforge my greatsword! If that's not possible/it breaks, purchase another greatsword.
You’re about to wander into town when a capering, dancing Thuun appears in front of you. “Ooh, ooh, let me!” he yells excitedly. Before you can even say anything he’s somehow stolen the scabbard right off your back! You shrug. It’s not like he can make things any worse than before, right?

“Hmm… Earth or Fire magic?” he mutters to himself. You decide to back up. “Maybe a bit of both?” he continues, oblivious to your concern. You back up further. A lot further. Finally he shrugs and tips the scabbard over, letting both halves fall to the floor. You see him kneel and draw himself in, clearly focusing on the unusual spell. Probably for the best that he’s taking his time about this. (1) You get the feeling he’s only halfway there. Probably forgot to focus on how to limit the spell, damn fool.

(Ea: 6) (Fi: 2+1+1) Sooty red light blazes up from in front of him all of a sudden. There’s a terrible earth-shattering wrench and a chasm splits open in front of the mage. There’s a golden glow from within the chasm; you inch closer and peer into it. Magma! There’s goddamn magma down there! You back far, far away and murmur a quick prayer to any angels listening.

Thuun stands and tosses both halves of your blade into the furnace. Strangling noises come from your mouth. That was a favourite sword! You’re going to kill him! You’re going to push that damn mage into the hole so he can go fetch it for you! You’re going to--

Thuun raises his hands and holds them dramatically over the chasm. Fiery red light mixes with the ochre you all have come to associate with earth magic and pours down into the chasm. The light turns sooty as the magics mix. Rumbles and crunches from deep within the earth continue to threaten to spill you to your knees.

There’s a final heart-rending shriek as the hole closes up; Thuun sighs and steps back. There, sticking out from the ground like some damn fairytale, is your sword! Minus a grip, of course. That was simple leather. But your sword, gleaming golden like the day it was forged, is there for the taking. You stand shakily and step towards the blade, one hand outstretched. “Go on, take it,” Thuun murmurs. You notice a small crystal embedded in the crosspiece - that’s new. (6) As your hand closes around the hilt, a bright orange spark appears deep within the crystal.

You draw the gleaming, golden blade from the earth in one swift movement. It feels like your blade. It whistles through the air as you swing it experimentally. You smile, then grin. “Awesome.”

You gained a new, really sharp, freshly forged greatsword! The crystal holds something as yet untapped.

Thuun gained 1 experience point in Earth magic!

Find someone who is willing to buy the silken underwear. Also look for a shop that sells bows/arrows and some kind of armor, check what they have for sale. also look if there are any other interesting shops.
Strangely, nobody wants to buy used underwear from a swarthy and grumpy Limerete sailor who might or might not be a pirate, based on his heavily armed status. You sigh and put them back in your pocket. Maybe there’s something else of use in this town.

You stumble across the same leatherworker that Lyu did. “Hi, can I buy some armour?” you ask.

“Wow, two in one day!” the shopkeeper exclaims. “And a Limerete, to boot. Well, I may have something for you.” (2) It seems that Lyu has already bought the best pieces. All that’s left is  fairly plain armour, the kind that he supplies to the village’s hunters. However, you manage to purchase a complete set for two hundred gold.

You go looking for other stores. (5) You find a local fletcher and eye his stock. Wait… Are those… You pick up one of the arrows with shaking hands and show it to the fletcher. “Is this what I think it is?” you ask.

He nods. “Explosive arrows, yep. Y’recognise ‘em, eh? Y’must be a sailor out from th’East. ‘S’where I learned me craft.” You marvel at the explosive arrows, a Limerete specialty. You haven’t seen their like in nearly a decade! “They’re only ten gold a pop,” he offers. “We use ‘em mostly f’r settin’ off rockslides ‘n such. They’s weak ones, t’be’sre, but they’ll do th’job.”

You fight through the accent long enough to buy five explosive arrows and slip them carefully into your quiver. Even if they are much weaker than normal ones, they should still prove nice and useful!

- Interlude End -

Baldur jumps up onto the driver’s seat of the cart as the other four pile onto the back. “Right, we all here?” he calls over his shoulder. “Let’s go!” He clucks to the nag and flicks the reins once, setting the cart to rolling. The villagers are glad to see you leave, given Thuun’s little experiments in earthmoving. Next stop, Shas Ria!

- Chapter Two: Shadows -

The cart rumbles to a stop near the southernmost gate of Shas Ria. The city has stood on this spot for nearly eight hundred years and has sprawled to cover most of the plains. A river runs through the centre of the town, directly towards the ocean. On the far bank can be seen the majestic palace of the Archduke, the temporal ruler of Cylenia. The palace is a crescent moon shape, with the great Sun and Moon Basilica within the arms of the palace. Great markets stud the city; near the palace is the University, one of the finest centres of learning outside of Toa. Although the angel has advised you to seek a city by the sea, there may well be information within this great city that will help your quest.

Rumours have already reached the city of monsters roaming the night, bringing madness and death in their wake. Apparently little news has reached the capital from outlying cities. What little there is doesn’t sound good. From the sounds of it, Shas Isa was destroyed by rampaging mages and a horde of ten-foot-tall monsters that they summoned from the bowels of the earth. Shas Cyrra’s mines are thinning out, meaning that soon there will be a shortage of summerstone and the major raw good of Cylenia and  an essential ingredient in most of Cylenia’s exports will perhaps dry up.

The city is your playground, but beware… the alleys and markets hold more than just information. Tarry not within the shadows.

Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)

Check out my RtD!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:20 am »

((OMG, this has provided SOOOO much material for my mad min/maxing. I mean, for one thing I'm possessed by the ANGEL OF CREATIVITY, which I read as the Lord Almighty of Munchkinry. So I imagine keeping him happy will mostly involve "do what you been doing, you crazy motherfucker" and probably also "don't be a dick" which my negative trait kinda weans me away from anyway.

On top of that, the revelations about Light magic are pretty awesome, and mean I now theoretically have a bonus to YOURSOULISMINE and the Pokémon summons that I will probably find flimsy justification for at some point.

So yeah, just the lore and understanding granted by that ALONE compel me to READ ALL DA BOOKS BRO. ALL DEM. But I'm mostly eyeing that Force one so I can possibly balance out that particular shortfall in my repertoire.

And reforging Baldur's sword was EPIC.))

Go to the University with the magic books (borrow books from Felice and Ekoka) then READ ALL DA BOOKS BRO. ALL DEM. MOSTLY THE FORCE ONE.
After that is done look around and talk to the scholars there, discuss magic and also the monsters from Cnoc Adh that I encountered and how the others described "The Hundred Deaths"

((Munchkin-y idea of the day: Life magic and transformation/polymorphing, is it possible and could I use it selectively on bodyparts to turn myself into a genetic abomination of sexiness? Particularly I want to permanently harden my skin, possibly into a scaly type exterior, and possibly increase muscle mass for things like teh supa jumps. Could also go for gills/waterbreathing/other permanent natural abilities that make evolution scary and those who can force it scarier.
Related: Could those Life conduits of Lyu's be made permanent? And if so, what kind of interaction would they have with the regen ability?

There is DEFINATELY a reason you gave me the Angel of Creativity, huh? :P))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 12, 2014, 09:22:42 am »

At some point, have attempted to bring life back into the old nag with magic.

Continue study at various convenient points. Say...the Mysterious Brown Book.

Locate a place for us to stay. Inn, tavern, barn, whatever.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 12, 2014, 09:41:55 am »

At some point, have attempted to bring life back into the old nag with magic.

Continue study at various convenient points. Say...the Mysterious Brown Book.

Locate a place for us to stay. Inn, tavern, barn, whatever.
((I'll assume you don't want to loan Thuun that Mysterious Brown Book then? :P
I guess I'll read that one later.
Ah well, here's hoping Felice doesn't mind me taking the books he can't use off of him))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:26 am »

((I'll assume you don't want to loan Thuun that Mysterious Brown Book then? :P
((I'd like to see what it's about first. It sounds...plotty.))
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 74