Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: General Doctor Who Thread: JESUS CHRIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS  (Read 10592 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: General Doctor Who Thread: JESUS CHRIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2014, 04:26:30 pm »

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and his daughter/successor.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: General Doctor Who Thread: JESUS CHRIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »

The Brig was a (very) recurring character in the old series who ran UNIT.  I've heard someone suggest that his actor Nicholas Courtney appeared in more Doctor Who episodes than anyone except Tom Baker, he was pretty big.

He died in 2011 and sadly never appeared in the revival, but he's been referenced a few times (particularly in the 50th anniversary, where his daughter also appeared).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2014, 11:06:43 am »

Spoiler: The ending. (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2014, 12:14:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2014, 04:13:21 pm »

I was right.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2014, 07:07:21 pm »

that episode was so meta. :o

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2014, 08:17:29 pm »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2014, 04:17:18 am »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2014, 11:49:48 am »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2014, 04:29:32 pm »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: General Doctor Who Thread: BEN KENOBI! 60TH ANNIVERSARY HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2023, 02:36:29 pm »

Quote from: The text at the top of this Post Reply page
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
...well, given it's the 60th Anniversary episode(s), obviously I couldn't pass up the nigh on a decade of Necro when I tried to find the thread I knew was here and found this[1] (Ok, slightly less than nine years, due to a degree of thread longevity.)

Anyway, I'm doing it.

No outright spoilers for Star Beast (first of the '14th(ish[2]) Doctor Specials). But the following turned out to be extensive, so I'm spoilering my various points just for length reasons:
...so, a few complaints, perhaps. But it is nice to see the Whoniverse continuing (House Of Mouse elements notwithstanding). And they could definitely have done worse than use Ten for this interlude, even not yet knowing the full arc-plot reasons that are yet to be revealed as to why. (I think it is still an outstanding issue about why Twelve[5] looks like two prior characters (in Pompei and via Torchwood), something that RTD and Moffat had apparently agreed a plausible backstory for. And of course Four may yet be canonically linked to the elderly Curator...)

I don't think it'll matter much, in the long run. The upcoming tenure of Fifteen is of course the one we're going to hang our future (if timey-wimey) hopes on. Whether the 60th episodes go classic or go flat.

But that's just my thoughts.

[1] Do you know what happens when you search the board for "Doctor Who"? Loads of medical references and general nominative/interogative pronoun appearances.

[2] By canonical count/description, that is.

[3] The 'those', I mean. I enjoyed the diversity, though could have survived without also.

[4] In generally checking out "what things people had been in", I suspect that if I'd actually watched a certain Netflix series (raved about by some forumites) then I'd have been in on it from the start.

[5] You know, it shocked me to realise that nine years ago we we were discussing Twelve's early tenure. We didn't really have so many series/seasons/runs of him, plus Thirteen's ones, in my mind. Even considering "the only episodes this year being Chrstmas/New Year episodes" level of infrequency of 'new stuff' from the rather sporadic Whovian conveyorbelt. Jodie's six(?) years of tenure were far too sparse, IMO.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2023, 03:11:35 pm »

Ehhh, the episode was alright. I had high hopes which this did not meet - but, perhaps the future episodes will.

I will note in terms of identity politics, it felt rather... hamfisted?

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2023, 03:36:42 pm »

Yeah, the pandering in this latest episode was entirely hamfisted. Representation is important, but it's also important that it be handled in a way that does not upend the main story, and these writers just have not figured out how to do that.

I've heard that the rest of this season is supposed to be more serious/intense. Here's hoping.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2023, 06:55:21 pm »

Well, if you had seen what RTD did with Davros in the 'skit' for Children In Need charity night. He made him...

And l'm open to a bit of that pandering. The problems with the episode weren't anything to do with that. Whatever the hammy elements, these particular fists are relatively ham-free, IMO.

(If you want to see something that might annoy some Whovians looking for a good new story see this.)

Spoiler: On TD1's spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2023, 01:52:25 pm »

idk what the doctor who writers are even doing anymore lol
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10