Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76

Author Topic: Roll To Medium: Awakening [Chapter VI]  (Read 144247 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Medium: Recursion [Chapter V]
« Reply #930 on: July 11, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »

jack weasly walks to his dresser and retrieves  the photo of when he went hiking with olias and metter. he takes a long look at it and stashes it in his shoe, he places his money there as well. after checking the size of the window he places the yo-yo in his pocket and quickly peeks out the door.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 11, 2015, 01:44:44 pm »

I continue on into his office, "Okay, but what about Artemis? He's clearly swept up in this,considering that he was fighting alongside me last night."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: July 13, 2015, 01:21:02 pm »

((Yay! This updoot! Also sorry DAF, RL struck me in the gut, stunning me by the force of the blow[/TotallyNotDF]. Quite literally though, sans a story about how it hurts other parts of my anatomy -.- [Pains all arooound~♫♪]))

((Don't worry about it, you're fine. Also, happy very late birthday! Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, busyness makes it difficult for me to keep up often.))
Spoiler: Narrative Recount (click to show/hide)
((I am blessed with each and every well-wish onto me c: Thankies muchly))
Spoiler: Also just to poke... (click to show/hide)
*Unstable internet high-five!*
Lucky to have net given the cloud cover, as far as I understand satellite connections + Monsoon rains. -.-

"Shelter is one thing we've found and in good luck, it at least has a roof." Eleri pointed out, already wondering how such a building would mirror the same ones she found herself in several days before the trip. She had little experience with island life, but she had the inkling that this meant the inhabitants--or at least the history of the island itself--had a long time with expanding civilization in the area.

Pondering on why such structures would be abandoned in what she assumed was a simple society, she began trudging onwards towards the structure. "Flynn, I'd like you to search the place when we get there--find a nice spot to hole up in facing towards the rising sun, better surrounded by walls or giving a clear view of the room. Whatever danger has spooked you before: I'd at least like to see it if it comes hunting for us in there. In the least, our supplies will last us another day, and by tomorrow I really feel confident that we'll reach your destination. I can always get more, anyway, later."

Check out that house! Search it for things we may use to 'upgrade' our equipment [or...basically make improvised tools; a spear as an example upgrade or a real knife for general purpose use]...then check around for things we can use to make a fire.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: July 16, 2015, 02:13:57 am »

I continue on into his office, "Okay, but what about Artemis? He's clearly swept up in this,considering that he was fighting alongside me last night."
Lirian
((Was busy working, should be able to respond at least daily now. Hopefully I can speed this up a bit more so people don't have to wait this long between turns.))
He turns on the lights in his office, filling the room with a bright, fluorescent glow. Looking around, you can see that the room contains a desk sparsely populated with papers, a couple of notebooks, and a photo of Doctor Kito, Erin, and a woman - perhaps the doctor's wife. On the other side of the room are a file cabinet and a bookshelf filled with books from authors all over the world. You only recognize one or two of them at most, as most are probably related to his work in botany, but there are some novels here and there. At the opposite end of the room from the door, two burgundy couches with enough room for about six to eight people total face each other, a light and movable table in between them. The fourth wall is set with a modern window that is as high as the wall and nearly as wide, looking out to the greenhouses outside. Other than that, the room appears to be furnished as if it is halfway between a living area and a workstation.

You and Cromwell sit down on the couch on the right side of the room while Allen Kito sits opposite you after closing the door. You ask him about Artemis, which is one of the more pressing questions you have. After all, he seemed to have more knowledge on you than you did on him. You need to find out what he's up to and how you can either catch up to him or, at the very least, meet with him on your terms. Any information will help you when it comes to figuring out what you're supposed to do from here on out, as well as what you need to do with the Medium (in the case of Danielle).

"So he was fighting with you against these Shadows, correct?" Kito asks you. You confirm the statement. He takes some time to think over it and taps one of his fingers on the table. He looks over to his left, studying the greenhouses outside. "I don't know. Well, I mean to say that I don't know what Artemis was doing... fighting over these creatures. He never really mentioned too much about that." He begins to speak, but stops himself, apparently wishing to correct himself before he continues. "Let me backtrack. Artemis Dimikaelo is one of my associates, mainly because he's one of my primary ties to the Mederi Region Collective, or simply known as Mederi - the governmental body of this region. To explain further, the MRC is, essentially, an agreement between small states or regions to centralize their power into one pseudo-country, while still keeping the independent operation of all of the states. Dimikaelo is the earl of Petal Bay County, which is responsible for this town and a number of towns around it. He has been keeping in touch with me lately, mainly due to the same problems that you and I are facing now. He has been concerned for a long time about the conditions that are afflicting some citizens, though only recently has he brought up the idea of 'Shadows' to me. He comes and goes on his own time, which I suspect stems from his activity as a wartime executive. Other than that, he occasionally comes to visit and discuss some smaller issues related to my work, but nothing else that would concern the topic at hand."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 16, 2015, 02:21:58 pm »

((Darn it, back in december I had this conversation all planned out, including routes where Lirian properly allies Dr. Kito, lies to him, reacts to Artemis showing up, etc. including a specific route that might result in her attempting to kill Dr. Kito / Artemis. But now I've forgotten most of what I had in mind...))

"Yet Artemis was actively hunting them last night. What do you know about them? And what has Artemis said on the subject? Does he seem to know things that he shouldn't be able to know? My information says that Shadows are a symptom of a greater problem, but I don't know what."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 16, 2015, 05:32:42 pm »

(I barely play in this, but I want to say I'm leaving Roleplay. Gonna use that time to work on projects of my own. Realize they suck as RPs, and I lose interest too quickly. May your RP prosper!)
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: July 16, 2015, 11:39:49 pm »

(I barely play in this, but I want to say I'm leaving Roleplay. Gonna use that time to work on projects of my own. Realize they suck as RPs, and I lose interest too quickly. May your RP prosper!)
((S'all good mate, hope that it was at least semi-enjoyable. If you ever want to come back, your character will be here (maybe not in the same exact spot and alive, but who knows). Cheers!))

((Darn it, back in december I had this conversation all planned out, including routes where Lirian properly allies Dr. Kito, lies to him, reacts to Artemis showing up, etc. including a specific route that might result in her attempting to kill Dr. Kito / Artemis. But now I've forgotten most of what I had in mind...))

"Yet Artemis was actively hunting them last night. What do you know about them? And what has Artemis said on the subject? Does he seem to know things that he shouldn't be able to know? My information says that Shadows are a symptom of a greater problem, but I don't know what."
((Hopefully, some of the better adventures to come soon will joggle your memory.))
Lirian
He looks at you and sighs, still tapping his fingers on the table. You can't tell if that is simply just a nervous habit of his or if he is trying to make up for his short silence. "I already told you what Artemis generally discussed with me. He would call to meet with me sometimes because of this exact problem - he calls it 'psychocide,' or the 'Blank Syndrome'. He thought that it had  to do with the killing of one's willpower and their spirit. When he took a deeper look into it, he told me that there might be these monsters - the Shadows - that did this to people. He wanted to find the monsters and see if he could kill or capture them. Since I am one of the only people with a proper lab around this town, he asked me if I could help him find evidence that these monsters exist. To date, we haven't found any. But he still swears that they exist, and, well... due to recent events, I can only believe him. I'm as concerned for everybody as he is." You follow up by asking him about the information that Artemis knows.

"Well," he starts off, chuckling a bit, "I honestly don't know what he shouldn't know. He's in a position of power and I'm not. But to give you a more straightforward answer, no, it doesn't appear that way to me. He's a little bit ahead of the curve when it comes to finding out about these monsters and all, but nothing out of the ordinary. At any rate, my job description doesn't entail that I actively hunt for creatures of the night. I am merely supporting him with whatever I can find." After you finish your last statement, he seems to become a little more interested. "Really? Oh, well.. your information also seems to be limited, then. My apologies, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge on this issue. I would dedicate more time to it, but I'm just a botanist, and my job lies here."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #937 on: July 17, 2015, 10:27:04 am »

((My advice is always write your ideas down if you can. A notepad and a pen (or a notepad app if you have a smartphone) is invaluable. Not only does it save you from the annoyance of remembering you had a good idea but not remembering what the idea was, but it also helps give form to vague ideas, to define them and even helps you remember them better. And that can let you view them as a well-defined whole and reconsider them and can thus lead to better or more complex ideas.

At least, that's my experience. Then again, I have crap memory and I spend more time writing notes than writing turns, so take that with a grain of salt.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 17, 2015, 11:51:37 am »

Create a more insectoid golem. All six legs will constantly be on the ground. No hands. It will have a mouth similar to the mandible of an ant. If I have spare time, refine more metal. With my golems of course. I don't want to run the risk of becoming !!Me!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:07:08 pm by Coolrune206 »
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 18, 2015, 12:27:56 am »

"Well, here's what I know that I don't think either of you do. They are each based on an individual's internal conflicts, and if confronted by that person, they can be permanently destroyed. Attacking them directly the way Artemis and I did last night does harm them, but even if slain they will return after spending some time to heal themselves. However, the real problem is whatever is causing the Shadows to appear in the first place, and that is something that I do not know. If it isn't dealt with, then eventually the Shadows will grow to overwhelming numbers."

"The reason I'm suspicious of Artemis is these Shadows showed up before, and someone of his name and description opposed them then. He should know everything that I just told you already, yet I believe he does not. He also was only able to demonstrate a portion of the combat capability associated with him from before. I considered the possibility of the resemblance being a coincidence, but purple is not a common color. Also, because of the nature of my information source, I believe that someone has been messing with the flow of time in order to create conflict on a large scale, but I don't understand their endgame or methods. However, Artemis is a key piece, I just don't know why yet."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 18, 2015, 05:34:02 am »

Dr. Kito listens intently, trying to take in as much information as he can. When you are finished stating your take on the information at hand, he sits back for a few moments and transitions to a less-focused gaze. "I can state nothing other than my interest right now," he murmurs. "You say that they are based on internal conflicts. That seems to match up with what Dimikaelo said it was like - the killing of the mind or soul. But... how do they appear? What are they doing here? Why are they even attacking like this?" He leans forward and smiles. "Hmm," he sighs, "I suppose that's something you've already asked yourself. Still.. having this come from an outside source - especially from you, seeing that you are a visitor - is both reassuring and troubling. I can believe a little bit more in this notion of the Shadows, since I don't believe you would have a reason to lie about this. But then, if you know about it, how far does this extend? Who else might be affected by it, perhaps even around the world? And, if I may.. where did you get this information? If I could possibly find or link up with your source, perhaps Dimikaelo and I would be able to take a closer look into this."

You mention how Artemis must be involved as an important participant in this conundrum, and that perhaps there is some sort of warping of time to blame for this occurrence. "Wait, these Shadows appeared before? When, and where? And why would Dimikaelo be involved? And... the flow of time?" He leans back once again and rubs his eyes, struggling to process all of this information. "It sounds like there's a lot more involved in this than I know. But you seem to know a decent amount. Do you have anything else that might help?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 18, 2015, 06:17:11 am »

((OOC: yes, both I and Lirian remember the gender of my informant perfectly well))

"I've said everything I can think of that would be useful, but I have to protect the identity of my informant. He's been able to verify that he's telling me the truth and isn't crazy, but his information is based on the old timeline so we can't count on it being perfectly reliable."

"If you have further questions for my informant, then say them to me and I'll either answer them myself if I can, or pass them on to my informant if I cannot."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: July 19, 2015, 01:18:05 am »

"O-oh my god, I'm so sorry!" Cecil let out in a rushed blur of words, "I wasn't - Is there anything I can do to help?" He takes a deep breath, centering himself before he continues;

"I apologise, I wasn't looking where I was going, and I should have."

He takes a closer look at the painting.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Medium: Recursion [End Chapter V]
« Reply #943 on: July 24, 2015, 07:35:37 am »

TURN FORTY-NINE: MAROON SUNSET [END CHAPTER V]

I was going to put this update out earlier, but I decided to postpone it for a little while so that I could rewrite some of the parts. I had to spend time thinking over how this was going to play out for the next couple of turns.

I think I got it now.

Eh Ah

Nothing unusual there. How far along the river am I? Can I see the castle from here?

Moreover, does Magis have any... er... magi to my recollection? Wizards, sorcerers, alchemists, natural philosophers and other such things?

Eh Ah
You don't know all too much about the Magis Kingdom. Sure, you know some facts about it, as well as the general culture of the citizens. However, to your knowledge, you don't remember there being any magi of the phenomenal type. Although, you would imagine that even the Magis would have its own array of philosophers and, perhaps, alchemists. You don't believe there is anything that would impress you with fireworks or grand display - at least, not from what you've seen so far. Maybe the Magis will surprise you now, what with the apparent evacuation of the outer rim of the kingdom. All of that will be discovered shortly, however, as it relies on you exploring deeper into the world of the Magis - something that you've never really taken a closer look at until now. It's a shame that you only have the chance to explore it while it is practically in ruin.

As you snake your way along, you notice the quite steep terrain ahead. It appears that you've reached the part of the kingdom that circles around the hill looking over the river, somewhat to the east of your last position nearer to the gate. The structural integrity here seems to be a bit better than what you've seen before. You're also seeing more Theyin soldiers walking around, though no appearance of anybody who looks like they would be a civilian around this area. Perhaps the Magis have placed themselves closer to the castle. Speaking of the castle, from your place near the hill, you can see the dark, smooth walls of the castle, built into and carved out of part of the mountain and the volcano. Above the walls, you can see the small, unadorned palace and the courtyard below, where the royal family of the Magis would be living. You're not sure if they're still there, but you can definitely see some figures moving along the walls and around the courtyard. Whether they are Theyin or Magis remains yet to be seen.

You continue to walk along, trying to find something or someone other than a soldier. To your east, nothing but an empty street and some abandoned buildings lie ahead. To your south, the same. Your north - wait, you think you see someone. There is a woman standing in the entryway to her house. She's facing into the house, so you cannot see her face. She doesn't seem to be moving, apparently preoccupied with something, though you can't hear her talking anything. Perhaps you could ask her where everyone else is?

Other than that, it appears to be approaching noon. You're starting to get a little thirsty and hungry now, noticing that you've had only small portions of rest here or there in the last few days. You're getting closer to the center of the Magis Kingdom, yet a substantial amount of civilians remains to be seen.

Warren Drake

Have a sip of the liquor to get me started on solving whatever problem I seem to be having.

Then start walking back to the beast girl in the woods.

Warren Drake
Now that you've pushed your way through all of the hassle and difficulty that comes with being in foreign territory, it's time to relax and flush the confusion out of your mind with some good, old-fashioned liquor. You've still got a number of things to catch up on and figure out completely, but for now, this should suffice. You find a secluded spot in the village near some of the more forested areas down south. After getting yourself comfortable, you unscrew the cap on the liquor bottle and start taking it slowly. You want to enjoy this quiet time as much as possible, because with the way things are going for you now, you don't think that you'll get much of it anytime soon.

Beginning to work through the liquor, you aim to break down some of the mental problem that has bothered you since, well, that day where everything took a turn for the worse on Atis island. First of all, what caused you to begin to talk to reptilian creatures and interact with them? That seems like a very good question to start off with. You don't ever recall having any mental disorders of any kind, so you don't think it's very probably that you are insane or something. It could be a blessing - or a curse - from a god, but, hell, you were never all too invested in religion. Not like some of the others in your village were, anyways. You had your own beliefs, but you certainly haven't had any communications with deities; unless, of course, Darzenis counts as a deity. If Darzenis, a half-functioning, panic-prone, lisping lizard counts for even a quarter of a deity, Dzive may very well be doomed entirely.

Having consumed enough of the liquor for your liking right now, you decide that it would probably be a good idea to pay another visit to that girl out in the middle of the woods. Despite her seemingly low knowledge of anything beyond her own encampment, she appears like she would probably know more about this magical stuff than you do. Perhaps she'll give you some help in that regards; even if she doesn't, you might be able to backtrack from there and find where the others went. At any rate, it's an idea, of which there seems to be a diminishing supply.

"...okay, what the hell. What the hell is that why the hell isn't it acting like it should why the hell didn't I stay where I knew it was safe why the what the how the..." Jonathon muttered, clutching his knife tightly as adrenaline wore off and panic began to set in. This was way outside of his comfort zone.
Jonathan Eridis
Yes, you are where you thought you were safe, but apparently, this animal has bested you and has trapped you. The question still remains, however: What is that thing? The low light situation does not help at all, but you swear that you cannot even make out any of the identifying features of the animal. It seems like it might be some sort of wolf or other canine creature, but it could also be a fox or some other medium-sized predator. Regardless of its true figure, you know that it has the potential to harm you if you get down from there.

Let's talk about your condition right now. You're heavily injured, as far as fighting is concerned. You have no idea what animal is below you or even if it is truly hostile - though, by the way it has been sitting at your tree for a long while, you'd imagine so. This animal probably has either sharp teeth or some claws that it can use to take you down. You only have a knife with you. You're also at the top of a tree which would take a while to get down without hurting yourself. Even if you do manage to get down, you would probably be mauled long before then. All in all, you are probably screwed with any choice.

It would probably be best to stay there and wait for the animal to get bored. At any rate, you're not leaving this tree any time soon. You sit in place for another ten minutes, thinking of some sort of escape plan if you need to take one; at the same time, you keep your eyes on the animal, watching for any movements. Finally, the canine-like creature looks away from you and towards the tree. You hope that he's about to decide to go away. Sadly, your hopes are unfulfilled. The creature appears to lift one of its paws from the ground and places it on the tree. After a few seconds, it takes back its paw and repeats the same motion. A third time, it repeats the motion yet again. This time, however, you hear a cracking sound, and then what sounds like something slimy being moved around. You lean in for a closer look and find that the animal is now.. climbing the tree. Yes, it is climbing, though with what, you do not know. It seems to almost be merging with the tree where its paws touch, and it uses this to climb, one paw after the other.

You don't know what this thing is, but now you know that it is no wolf, or dog, or anything of that sort. But if it's not a canine, then what is it?

jack weasly walks to his dresser and retrieves  the photo of when he went hiking with olias and metter. he takes a long look at it and stashes it in his shoe, he places his money there as well. after checking the size of the window he places the yo-yo in his pocket and quickly peeks out the door.
Jack Weasly
It cannot be said enough that this is an opportunity, one that you are not going to miss. You decide to take only your valuables - despite how few they are - along with you for your venture: Your small amount of money, the yo-yo, and.. ah, yes, the photo of you with Olias and Metter. Both coworkers and friends, they are. Though Olias is a bit rough and distant sometimes while Metter is often hopeless and tired, you know that the two of them are the only ones who could stand to be with you for more than five minutes. You have somewhat of an aura around you that seems to repel people; though, that shouldn't be surprising, considering that many people in this town seem to be rather abrasive and hostile to strangers. Still, it is nice to have at least two people by your side.

As you prepare to move, you continue to hear hushed whispers outside and some shouting from the staff members. It appears that there is some sort of commotion, but they can't figure out what is going on around the city. You can see other kids peeking their heads out of their doors from across the hallway, though no one dares yet to leave. Sometimes, the night falls silent before more gunshots or voices are heard echoing around the city. You still have no idea what's happening, but that's not going to stop you here. You look back at the window leading outside, a simple frame containing dirtied glass. You would be able to fit in there, but the window is unfortunately covered with a diamond-patterned metal screen, which would be incredibly tough to break for someone of your physique. Put simply, there's not much room to escape from there, unless you found something to tear the screen out of the window with.

You take a look out of the door, searching for where everyone is relative to you in the building. Like you saw earlier, most of the kids are still inside their rooms, peeking out occasionally as you are. You can hear mutters and whispers of people asking why they're on lockdown and why there seem to be gunshots throughout the city. It seems that the staff members have moved out of your hallway and have consolidated either in the center of the building - where the halls meet - or near the far wing, to your right. At least, that's where you can hear some of the voices coming from.

Another howl and, this time, a scream echo off the buildings not too far from the orphanage. You're starting to get a little worried now. What the hell is happening around town? Are you being invaded, or is there another natural peril? You can't tell right now, and nobody is giving you an answer.

"Shelter is one thing we've found and in good luck, it at least has a roof." Eleri pointed out, already wondering how such a building would mirror the same ones she found herself in several days before the trip. She had little experience with island life, but she had the inkling that this meant the inhabitants--or at least the history of the island itself--had a long time with expanding civilization in the area.

Pondering on why such structures would be abandoned in what she assumed was a simple society, she began trudging onwards towards the structure. "Flynn, I'd like you to search the place when we get there--find a nice spot to hole up in facing towards the rising sun, better surrounded by walls or giving a clear view of the room. Whatever danger has spooked you before: I'd at least like to see it if it comes hunting for us in there. In the least, our supplies will last us another day, and by tomorrow I really feel confident that we'll reach your destination. I can always get more, anyway, later."

Check out that house! Search it for things we may use to 'upgrade' our equipment [or...basically make improvised tools; a spear as an example upgrade or a real knife for general purpose use]...then check around for things we can use to make a fire.
Eleri
Flynn gives you a solemn nod after you tell him what to do, saying, "I'll do my best." Without further ado, you continue on to the house. It's not too far from you, and once you get there, you move as planned, leaving Flynn to check the house for a good spot to hold down the fort for the night. Meanwhile, you search around for some supplies; anything from food to materials and equipment, all of it could be of use to you and Flynn. Stepping into the first floor of the building, you notice that the building has the smell of age, telling you that it's been abandoned for a while, having been without care for a long time. Observing this first floor, you notice that there is no furniture. In fact, the whole place seems to be completely devoid of anything that would inform you that someone even lived here. Only the rotting wooden floors and the empty fireplace stand, the rest of the house looking more like a ghost's residence than anything.

Flynn ventures upstairs as you exit the building and search the perimeter, attempting to seek out some abandoned materials, or maybe some broken-down equipment nearby. It strikes you odd that a single building would be out in the middle of nowhere, with no roads leading here or any sign that it was actually inhabited. It can't really be a farmhouse, considering that the wooded areas show no signs of agricultural development. It could be used as a ranch, considering that you've found a small fence enclosure on the other side of the house. If it was a ranch, however, it'd be a pretty poor and oddly-placed one. Perhaps it was a vacation house? That would make sense, considering the proximity to the ocean and the distance from the any other portion of civilization. Whatever the case, it seems like the owners had no use for it a long time ago, and have taken everything that they owned with them. That's quite unfortunate, really, as it leaves less things for you and Flynn to improvise with.

You search around the enclosure, looking for something in the ways of materials, or maybe even a tool. It's proving to be incredibly difficult for you, however. Besides the grass and the poppies, you see nothing as you walk around the enclosure. Disappointed, you make your way back to the front of the house. Calling to Flynn, you check in to see what he has found.

"I think you'll like this." You climb the stairs to the second floor and find him sitting down next to a table. However, that's not what surprises you. You're more shocked to see what else lies in the room. Next to the table is a simple wooden chair. Across the wall, floor, and table is a trail of very, very faded blood. It's almost indiscernible from any other ordinary stain, but there is a telltale, maroon hint to it. It traces from the middle, far end of the room up to the table and out the window. You peer out the window and find nothing below, though that may be because the grass hides any signs of what happened. On the table itself is a survival knife in surprisingly good condition, other than the fact that it appears to be stained black and red on the blade. Apart from that, there is also a forest-green plastic water bottle knocked onto the floor - one of the reusable types - as well as a broken pencil. Flynn holds out a note with what appear to be some stains from drops of blood on it. "There's a knife over on the table that feels pretty sharp, we might be able to use it. I also found this note. At least, I think it's a note. I can't read it though, can you? This room also seems perfect. It's protected and has a window to the sun, just like you wanted."

The note reads:

Elijah:

Take care of your mother and sister. I'm sorry for staying behind. I didn't know this would happen.
Some animals are trying to break into the house. They mean to kill me. They sound like nothing I've ever heard before, and they've much strength.
If you happen upon my body, then I am sorry. There is nothing I could do. I will try to meet up with you if I escape. If not, the box is hidden in the compartment in the wall. You know which one.
Take it and leave.

Please pray for me.
Dad

Create a more insectoid golem. All six legs will constantly be on the ground. No hands. It will have a mouth similar to the mandible of an ant. If I have spare time, refine more metal. With my golems of course. I don't want to run the risk of becoming !!Me!!
Rune
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
((What would you like to call this class of Golem? Or will it be a one-off specialty?))

It's time to start diversifying your assets. Now that you have the base of your golem army completed, you might want to start branching out and designing some newer golems that will fulfill your special roles. Crawling golems, climbing golems, heavier "hulk" golems - all of these might be needed for your future journeys. It's important to make sure that you can face any threat and problem that you come upon, regardless of how difficult they may be. For this, you're going to take some inspiration from insect-like beings. An ant would be a good starting choice: ants are known to be particularly good colony workers. Perhaps you could take a page out of their book and use them for hauling tasks, or maybe exploration.

For this, you're going to have to design it by hand instead of relying on one of the golems to do the job for you. As good as your skills may have gotten, you'd feel more comfortable designing this first mold with your own hands. You take some clay and begin molding it to your desire. Attempting to model this golem as close as possible to a regular ant, you model the arching legs and their joints, the different segments of the body, and, most importantly, the mandibles on the head. You decide to also include antennae, as you might possibly figure out a way to emulate other senses from the golems soon enough.

With the mold pretty much finished, you set it to cook and begin working on refining more metal, using your golems to carry out this work for you. However, you stop when you hear what sounds like a couple of voices coming from the top of your cave. They're too distant to make out what they are saying, but it is enough for you to know that there are other humans who have finally found your tunnels.

Well, now's the time to consider security or stealth, you suppose. You didn't figure that you were going to last forever here without being found out by someone.

((OOC: yes, both I and Lirian remember the gender of my informant perfectly well))

"I've said everything I can think of that would be useful, but I have to protect the identity of my informant. He's been able to verify that he's telling me the truth and isn't crazy, but his information is based on the old timeline so we can't count on it being perfectly reliable."

"If you have further questions for my informant, then say them to me and I'll either answer them myself if I can, or pass them on to my informant if I cannot."
((To be honest, I didn't actually understand what you meant with your OOC text when I first saw it. Perhaps because I was tired. Now that I've come back to it though, I get what you meant.))
Lirian
"Alright, I understand." He rubs his chin with his hand for a few seconds, thinking about what he should ask. He seems to get a few questions in his head as his eyes light up. "Well, I would want to ask this: Why are these Shadows here? What do they have to do with us? How do they go about inflicting these conditions upon people? What can we do to put a stop to it, and what did your informant do before to stop them? Better yet, how can we stop them from coming back again? According to what you're telling me, they have been here before, and there might be a possibility that they would be back in the future. If possible, I want to put a stop to that." He sighs, having asked his fill of questions, before picking up his end of the conversation again.

"You seem to know a good amount about these Shadows. Regardless of where you got this information from, I think Dimikaelo would be glad to get in contact with you over this. The sooner we can put a stop to this problem, the sooner we can get back to our lives here. If you wish, I can call Artemis and see if he'd be willing to meet with you." He looks between you and Cromwell, awaiting an answer.

Cromwell speaks for the first time since this conversation began. Up to this point, he has been quietly observing and listening intently. He addresses you, saying, "My, uh, friend didn't really point us in a direction yet. I guess we could see if Dimikaelo has some answers. If you want, I can consult with my friend some more, but it's up to you right now."

"O-oh my god, I'm so sorry!" Cecil let out in a rushed blur of words, "I wasn't - Is there anything I can do to help?" He takes a deep breath, centering himself before he continues;

"I apologise, I wasn't looking where I was going, and I should have."

He takes a closer look at the painting.
Cecil G. Palmer
She continues to look between you and the painting, pretty much stammering in disbelief. "I- I even had the cart in the way, with a sign that CLEARLY says 'DO NOT DISTURB'. Like, seriously. How could you get around that, and screw it up?" Only now do you notice that she did, in fact, have a cart set up on the side of the cafe. After looking around it, you can confirm that it has a sign on it with colorful paint. You only ignored it because you were so lost in thought, and you were able to pass by just enough not to notice it. You fail to find an explanation as to why you did so, and instead ask if you could help in any way. "Can you magically revert my painting back to the way it was before you pushed me? No? Well then, I don't think you have any way to fix this! She sighs and begins to clean up what she can of the spilled supplies nearby. You take a closer look at the painting in the meantime.

It appears to be a painting of the very same bay that is ahead of you. It features the same green-blue waves of the bay waters, a low sun setting over the horizon and sending orange and purple colors sprawling, and a variety of people walking up and down the beach and sidewalks, going about their days. The scene is vibrant and lively, as well as being so well-made that you impressed. Well, it's not like you've seen too many art pieces in your life (other than that on art exposition that your father took you to when you were ten), but you can definitely see that she has some talent.

It's too bad that it is all wasted due to your bumbling walk. There is a streak of paint across the sky in the painting, which poses a rather ugly outline when compared to what she was working on before.

She picks up the painting, looks at it, and sighs with frustration. "Ugh. You're going to have to pay for this somehow. I invested too much in working on this. There's no way that I'm just gonna let it go to waste." She looks at you expectantly, waiting for an answer of some sort. You're not sure how you're going to pay, unless she actually means that you must pay with real money. At any rate, you seem to be in a tight spot.

((I'll probably do a half-turn for you soon because this is pretty much dialogue, and because I wish to get you sped up a bit.))

Author's Note: Nothing much to say. There's a little bit of pickup and some slowdown here or there, but the new chapter should allow me to explain some new things, and maybe introduces some new places or characters. It depends on how things flow.

I hope you all have a wonderful week and enjoy the update,
Artemis.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Medium: Recursion [End Chapter V]
« Reply #944 on: July 24, 2015, 08:08:45 am »

Alex would chuckle a bit. One terrible thing after another. He would just attempt to sit and rest on a wall, and try to understand what was going on.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 76