Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unusually badass Goblin swordsman  (Read 3090 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Unusually badass Goblin swordsman
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:54 pm »

The short story is this: a goblin siege just started and my fortress wasn't prepared, luckily only one group of goblins got through, a squad of mace goblins and a goblin swordmaster by the name of Amxu Zurdosxuspgas. My military managed to kill almost all of the mace goblins with only a few casualties, not too bad since most of them are reletively fresh recruits... but the swordmaster is dodging everything and killing everything. She's evaded an weapon trap stocked with 10 weapons, every strike missed, she evades all the crossbow bolts fired at her, she evades any animals trying to grapple her. She's already killed several dwarves and animals almost singlehandedly and my best soldiers are either dead or busy... ironically, I had what would probably would have been a worthy opponent for her, a sword dwarf with good dodging skills, but that dwarf dodged into my death pit while fighting the mace goblins... At this rate, Axmu'll conquer the fort herself before the rest of the siege gets to the front gates...

Viking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusually badass Goblin swordsman
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 10:01:57 pm »

That's rough :(

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:53:22 pm »

If the fort falls, perhaps you'll get a recurring villain to your reclaim attempts :-)
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:36:07 pm »

Or if you're lucky, a badass gobbo to help fight off other goblin ambushes when you reclaim.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »

I'm still trying to save the fortress by distracting her with squishy recruits while I train a new army in my danger room, but it's looking like I will have to abandon if that fails...

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 11:09:20 pm »

Mass arrow spam? Once an arrow gets through, then you have a chance.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:27:13 pm »

once an arrow gets through, the weaponmaster doesn't stand a chance.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 01:54:52 am »

so you had weapon traps with 10 weapons apiece but no cage traps?
cage traps are practically instant gauranteed kill, can't dodge em, with the option to use them for training or other devious things.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 08:36:32 am »

give every dwarf a crossbow and some bolts, play the odds, it can't dodge that many bolts at once.

Either that or cage traps like the previous poster said, then you can take your time

Or make a small room full of weapon traps and lure them into it and seal the door. Eventually tiredness will seep in and they can't dodge forever

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:51:17 am »

so you had weapon traps with 10 weapons apiece but no cage traps?
cage traps are practically instant gauranteed kill, can't dodge em, with the option to use them for training or other devious things.
I had cage traps, her lackeys got caught and she got past

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 10:28:50 am »

Just got really lucky, she fell into a cage trap I had sitting around the inside of my base from before I had walls built... or was it to catch the berserking dwarves that were cropping up like weeds after the previous siege? whatever, the sword goblin is caught and I'll have to strip off her equipment and drop her down a deep hole since she seems to dodge everything, let's see if she can dodge gravity...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 11:05:52 am »

Just got really lucky, she fell into a cage trap I had sitting around the inside of my base from before I had walls built... or was it to catch the berserking dwarves that were cropping up like weeds after the previous siege? whatever, the sword goblin is caught and I'll have to strip off her equipment and drop her down a deep hole since she seems to dodge everything, let's see if she can dodge gravity...

I can see that ending badly...

The ground strikes Amxu Zurdosxuspgas!
The attack misses!
*Amxu Zurdosxuspgas is now a Legendary Flier*
Amxu Zurdosxuspgas is enraged!
Urist McSittingDuck has been struck down x187
Your fortress has crumbled to its end...
Sanity is for the weak.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 11:21:48 am »

Flying gobbos that can dodge 10 z levels of gravity would be horrifying.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »

What a waste. She's the perfect crossbow training dummy. A live target that can't get hit. Put her in an shooting gallery and send the new crossbow recruits after her to level up (make sure they have wooden bolts and don't strip her of armor).
But thankfully, that type of gobo really isn't too rare. I found out about those weapon masters when one got stuck in a goblin grinder. Only managed to clear that one from the grinder after I had a dwarf make a tunnel from my water stack and I flushed her out of the grinder and into a cage via a stream of water.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 08:21:26 pm »

Make sure to chain her to the floor, you can still shoot at hr, but she can't run away. Also good for training melee dwarfs (just make sure they're carry wooden weapons and have metal armor so if she does steal a weapon she won't be able to do any real damage with it.
Pages: [1] 2