Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1128990 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: In stereo where available
« Reply #6735 on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:06 pm »

"The bar has a temple? Colour me suprised!"

Go get drunk with all the other mooks who are getting drunk.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: February 06, 2017, 05:45:39 pm »

"I believe I shall require more power afore the final challenge."

Saevus follows after his mistress. And he'll do one more mission before his ultimate one.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6737 on: February 06, 2017, 06:57:17 pm »

"The bar has a temple? Colour me suprised!"

Go get drunk with all the other mooks who are getting drunk.
You join the other men at the bar as they drink and sing. Soon you are as drunk as they are, standing on a table and singing some song only you can understand. Some of the other patrons boo you and tell you to be quiet and you retort with
"Dthou you knaw who youz talkin to? I wonce ztabbed a robut that waz az big a- az big az-..."
Not being able to find something big enough to compare it to, you decide to make something, bending down and attempting to grab a cup so you can tsar it to immense proportions. You instead manage to slip while getting up and fall on your ass.
"Yesh. Laike thish."
Good thing you're too drunk to feel that right now. One more thing to add to the list of things that will be hurting next morning.
"Dontza warry, the booze is shtill okay, the booze is shtill okay." you reassure the men asking if you're OK as they help you up among laughter.
Indeed, there's still booze in the now semi-enlarged cup. Soon the men taste it and proclaim that it's actually quite good. The precise words one of them uses are "hits like the flaming warhammer of Kromgur". Soon they're all getting even more drunk, first doing some sort of bar game where you're supposed to say a word twister or drink more and then doing one where you're supposed to say something embarrassing or do something embarassing about you or someone else or drink more... or something like that, you aren't really sure, everything is a blur by now.

"Hmm! They only lock the good waterslides, I'm on to something."

Attempt to push the gate open. Failing that, is is just wall beside the gates? If so, summon ladder!
Unsurprisingly, the gate is locked.

You manage to summon a small ladder that barely reaches the top of the wall and set it up next to the gate. You get up there and look down on the other side. Looks like it's quite the drop. Not enough to kill you unless you land on your head, but enough to hurt if you don't land right.

Staging Area

Kosak Durar, Staging Area:

"I assume you're my sponsor?"

Upon the inevitable yes answer, Kosak reports to the emergency mission briefing.
"Sponsor? What do you think this is? AA? I'm your commanding officer and trainer! And while I take a hands off approach in training, I expect to be treated as such."

You walk through the desolate inn and out into the plazza, filled with more people than you're used to. The crow entity and the bartender entity are sitting on the edge of the fountain, laughing about something. Another entity is resting with his back on the inn, watching the rest with a smile. And then there's a female form made out of light arguing with the smoky form of Charlie.
"-this is completely irresponsible and unnecessary. We can handle this on our own. There's no need to get them involved."
"No, what there's no need of is all this complaining directed to me. The vote is done now. You know what comes next."
"I thought you were better than this."
*shrugs* "Sorry to disappoint."
"We gain nothing by needlessly endangering them like this. First you take Irine and now this-"
"I didn't take her. There was a vote, fair and square. You knew the rules when you joined, so stop blaming me."
"But you are the one who-"
"Right! What are you dirty commies planning here?"
You get the feeling Charlie is pleased with the interruption.
"Hehehe. Come on, you know the vote results. Let's wait for a bit before we let them know what the big surprise is like we agreed, eh? Building up the anticipation is half the fun."
"I'll play along with your tricks for now. But I still think it's red propaganda."

More players are currently arriving to the plaza through doorways and portals.

"Thank you, as well.  It's been pleasant here, in the quiet parts.  Makes a nice change from the violence."  John sighed, a bit of a wistful look in his eyes.  "Well, I can't not go, I imagine.  When... whatever this is is over, I'm going to ask.  Ask if I can take you with me.  You never know with these guys.  But if not... I'll miss you."  John stopped, quietly looking down.  He then stepped closer and gave her a big hug.  It held on for a while, then he finished it with a quick kiss to the forehead.
She looks surprised by your words and even more surprised by your hug. A moment later she hugs you back and presses her cheek against yours.
"Thank you. I would like that."

"Take care of yourself."  John started to turn, then stopped.  "Oh hey!  If I... don't make it back, look for Alan.  He's a cool kid; really a laugh riot.  And... good luck out there."

John nodded his head, then headed out.
"Make it back, John. That is what I want. Even if it is for the last time. Make it back."

On his way down the stairs, John looked up.  "Zero, status report on this mission?  Oh, and what's your performance evaluation of that one?

Also check in with Zero.
<Performance was adequate. Most difficulties were caused by chance and uncontrollable environmental factors. This unit evaluates you as highly recommended for participation in the final challenge. The only reason player 5 has not been shifted to the final challenge directly is unforeseen circumstances that could benefit more from his immediate attention.>

Report in.
You arrive at the plaza and witness the congregation of players and entities.
"The machine-man with machine-hearts. Just who I wanted to see." Charlie greets you.
"Loved your performance last mission, by the way."

"Then FUCK! YOU!"

Japanese Monster Battle 2: Tentacle Harder. Transform. Charge. Deploy anchors and weapons. Try to muzzle and otherwise bind the dragon by wrapping him with my anchors before impaling it. Maybe keep one anchor free to slap the dragon with it. See what weapons I got.
((Punch in snout to establish superiority :P))

You immediately deploy in an explosion of flesh, bone and energy, catching him as he swoops down in your numerous anchors. There's a contest of strength for a few moments as you try to tie him down and he tries to break free, biting and slashing at you. You eventually manage to restrain him, if only barely. He is still struggling, snorting angrily, his tail still whipping about. (From this angle you can see that its tip and underside are also made out of that black material. Getting impaled by it could be painful.) Damn bastard is slippery. Then again, it's what you'd expect from an ice dragon that's literally covered in ice.

You've got two large turrets that can shoot bolts of energy. They're made out of a core, a spike that's constantly shooting sparks and radiating heat, so you could probably also use them as a stabbing weapon.

"I believe I shall require more power afore the final challenge."

Saevus follows after his mistress. And he'll do one more mission before his ultimate one.
You join the growing number of people in the plaza. One of the entities looks at you from where it's leaning against a wall and grins.
"Ah, and here they are. The soul without a man and the woman without a soul. What a fitting pair. He he he."
She ignores him and continues towards the fountain.

You get the feeling someone else is  at at the moment doing something for which you'd be more thematically appropriate... Oh well, nothing you can do about it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: February 06, 2017, 07:42:52 pm »

Fortunately for me I can summon fluffy mattresses! Jump down onto one. Nothing will deter me from this extremely stupid course of action!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: February 06, 2017, 08:32:14 pm »

John waved.  "Thanks, Charlie.  I take it something weird is up?  You know, weirder than usual.  Hey, barman!  So hey, what's Alan up to?  I haven't seen him in a while."

Check in.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: February 06, 2017, 09:27:00 pm »

"Quit strugglin' or I'll shoot yer tail off. Give me my damn answers. And my whiskey."

Keep him bound. If he continues struggling or tries to escape, blast his tail and wings off or stab him a few times to make my point.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:13:03 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: February 06, 2017, 11:24:04 pm »

((Have I mentioned lately that this game is awesome?  Because this game is awesome.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: February 07, 2017, 11:05:39 am »

Keep immersing myself in this excellent worldbuilding so that I may pluck ideas from it at opportune moments later.

As for the wagon, what do the traders need it for? Did they come here with goods they would care to sell? If yes, what kind?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6743 on: February 07, 2017, 03:40:08 pm »

Fortunately for me I can summon fluffy mattresses! Jump down onto one. Nothing will deter me from this extremely stupid course of action!
You summon a small pillow. Then you summon a giant mattress that falls down with a loud thump, bouncing a bit before stabilizing. You jump down, bounce off the mattress and then fall on the ground. Not the most dignified landing but it will do.

You start walking through the path, making your way right through the fields separating you from the temple, the constant sound of flowing water accompanying you and helping to mask the sound of your footsteps.

You haven't been walking for more than a couple of minutes when you notice someone holding some sort of lantern coming from your right in the next intersection. You can barely see their form through the reed-like plants.

Keep immersing myself in this excellent worldbuilding so that I may pluck ideas from it at opportune moments later.

As for the wagon, what do the traders need it for? Did they come here with goods they would care to sell? If yes, what kind?

You buy the traders another round and try to get them to talk a bit more about why they're here and what they're trading.

One of them tells you that he actually got pretty lucky. He was carrying all sorts of tools forged on Kodromota. He was originally on his way to Ineth but decided to come here when he heard about all the trouble in the city. The monks actually bought much of his equipment at a reasonable price and managed to get some good money. Now he's just waiting for the nomad traders to arrive, hoping he can convince one of them to take him with them in exchange for the weapons he hasn't sold yet. Good thing he's too drunk to realise he just told a complete stranger he has a great deal of money hidden somewhere.

Another tells you that he was carrying exotic crafts (mostly woven products) from the Sovereignty, some of the last that were left in Kodromota (and in his stock) before they closed the border. He was hoping he could market them to stupid rich folk in Ineth as "limited collector items" and make a killer profit. Now, however, there's not much of a market about this sort of stuff. Maybe he could make his way south, beyond the Scar, although he is not certain about how much lover there is for Sovereignty goods right now.

A third tells you that he was actually coming back from a delivery to one of his most important clients. No wagon for him, just his finest horse. He's an expert at "acquiring rare items", whatever that means. His most valued resource is his contacts and these sorts of things tend to degrade very badly during a war. He's seriously considering going to the east to help the military, since getting back to his stash in Kodromota is out of the question. Who knows? Maybe they could have some use for his contacts and people skills.  If he's lucky and his half-brother is still in the military (and still alive) he could have him vouch for him.

A fourth tells you he has no wagon and nothing you'd be interested in. Looks like he doesn't want to talk about it. Might be something valuable.

A fifth tells you he's carrying raw materials, mostly processed ore, coal and various processed oils, both for use in foods and in industry, purchased from various settlements on the eastern mountains during Mireshime's Fair. He's probably going to head south soon, he might be able to get rid of those stuff in one of the nearby villages, although he is not certain what he's going to do after that.

Staging Area

John waved.  "Hey, barman!  So hey, what's Alan up to?  I haven't seen him in a while."
*shrugs* "Something crazy and fun, I would imagine. You know how that guy is. Last report says he's probably still alive. Which is to say, we know the mission isn't a TPK yet and I know that guy is too damn lucky to die when there's people around he could torture. Still don't know what's taking them so long though. So take that how you will."

John waved.  "Thanks, Charlie.  I take it something weird is up?  You know, weirder than usual."

Check in.
"Yeah, you got that right. There is a very unstable situation at the moment that is unfolding very quickly. I'm going to need the best you Special People have to offer on this job. That means you and the suit, along with anyone else who's willing to help. If your entities agree, of course, but I get the feeling they will."

"But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Give me a moment and I'll start the briefing."

((This'll take a while to write. Should be done by the end of the week, probably sooner.))

"Quit strugglin' or I'll shoot yer tail off. Give me my damn answers. And my whiskey."

Keep him bound. If he continues struggling or tries to escape, blast his tail and wings off or stab him a few times to make my point.
He manages to loosen your grip a bit, just enough to start biting the nearest tentacles and tearing them apart. You retaliate by stabbing him in the head and firing a massive bolt of energy. Your enemy disappears in an explosion of steam and boiling blood.

For a moment you wonder if you might have overshoot a bit, gone a bit too far. But a moment later the howling wind clears the steam away, revealing a massive gash starting from the top of the creature's head and going all the way down its neck. However the damage doesn't go beyond that layer of ice and flesh. Below it you can see more of that black material forming something like the creature's endoskeleton, now glowing red-hot from absorbing the energy of your discharge. It seems to have stopped it from progressing further.

He roars and redoubles his efforts to break free. Ice is starting to grow all over his body, forming tiny spikes, although all they do for now is give your tentacles better traction. You can feel your tentacles growing extremely cold wherever they're touching him. You can feel the heat getting sucked out of them, the cold spreading across them. His bleeding has already stopped and his wound is closing, expanding ice taking the place of flesh.

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: February 07, 2017, 03:45:08 pm »

"Would you be kind enough to direct me toward the courtyard, sir?"

Head to the courtyard.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: February 07, 2017, 03:47:25 pm »

Constrict and crush him. Stab him. Shoot him. Maybe shove the spike in his mouth and blast his internals if he keeps trying to bite me. That endoskeleton is tough, so I don't need to hold back. Keep charging. Will myself to charge faster or blast harder, or to produce an RME that will help me out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:21:22 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: February 07, 2017, 05:01:36 pm »

*shrugs* "Something crazy and fun, I would imagine. You know how that guy is. Last report says he's probably still alive. Which is to say, we know the mission isn't a TPK yet and I know that guy is too damn lucky to die when there's people around he could torture. Still don't know what's taking them so long though. So take that how you will."

"Hah, no kidding.  That guy's a laugh riot; I'd hate to see something bad happen to him."  John paused a moment.  "So... what exactly happens after the so-called final challenge?"  Something told John that Rodger would be less evasive about the answer.

"Yeah, you got that right. There is a very unstable situation at the moment that is unfolding very quickly. I'm going to need the best you Special People have to offer on this job. That means you and the suit, along with anyone else who's willing to help. If your entities agree, of course, but I get the feeling they will."

"But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Give me a moment and I'll start the briefing."

"I see.  I'm in, sure, and I think Zero sounded committed.  Sure, yeah.  I'll go bother the others while you get together."

Noticing Saevus, John walked up to him and nodded his head.  "Well played, Saevus.  I thought you had me back there for a bit.  I'm not sure what that goo was, but it was nasty."

Feeling the need to test his new abilities, John summoned a small recon drone.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: February 07, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »

Well, if the first guy is going to sell his weapons in return for getting a ride with the nomads, what use does he have for the wagon? It'll only slow him down, I should think.

As for the third, maybe he can come along with us? He seems like a crafty sort and we're going to probably link up with the military at some point. Safety in numbers, says I.

Beyond that, sleep until morning to see the Head Waiter!

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: February 07, 2017, 08:10:49 pm »

Noticing Saevus, John walked up to him and nodded his head.  "Well played, Saevus.  I thought you had me back there for a bit.  I'm not sure what that goo was, but it was nasty."
"T'was an enjoyable battle. Thou foughtest well. However, next time it shall be mine victory."
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: February 07, 2017, 08:59:09 pm »

"Hey, maybe we'll be working together on this one.  If so, there's nothing that can stop us!"
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 521