Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1129082 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: In stereo where available
« Reply #6645 on: January 16, 2017, 12:09:18 pm »

"Water Monks, Irine. They'll no doubt be extremely useful, since they probably know water-based martial arts, desert-based martial arts or some permutation thereof. And if we're lucky, nomad traders as well! Way better than miles and miles of generic near-badlands with probably literally nothing in it."

"Besides, Alan's a perfect source of flammable material. He can get you a mountain of novelty webbing no problem. All in all I have a good feeling about this desert. Gives the whole expedition a very authentic Crusades feel, I'd say. Just need to stock up on water beforehand."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: January 16, 2017, 06:04:30 pm »

"Ike, every single thing you just said was stupid. From getting training from the monks when we have no time to stay around to depending on getting a necessary resource reliably in large quantities from Alan in a combat situation. Do you have a real reason or are you just impulsively going someplace because you think the name is cool?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: January 16, 2017, 07:17:40 pm »

"Well bugger me sideways for wanting a change of pace from all these damn nondescript plains and foothills and wanting to actually make contact with people likely to have skills and goods of interest to our cause! You're being awfully negative as of late, I've noticed. Have faith! Worst thing that can happen in a desert to us is sandworms, and all you need to avoid those is to walk without rhythm."

"Besides, a desert is quite possibly the closest thing to literal fire in biome form that you'd find outside of, I dunno, the Elemental Plane of Fire. I suspect you'd have no trouble finding something incredibly dry to set fire to there. And if you're still afraid of that, there's bound to be brushland before then if I know my border conditions right and there's not some kind of mountain in the way that thus far nobody's mentioned for some reason. Gather material there if you need any. You could make a day of it with the men, advanced class in obtaining firewood."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: January 17, 2017, 01:48:58 am »

"Oh no I'm bored lets go someplace dumb. wah wah wah. What skills and goods do you want from water monks? It is not worth waiting long enough for you to train with them and the reason we'd need to stock up on water is the desert we would avoid anyway."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: January 17, 2017, 07:36:06 am »

"For one, they're people who've spent quite a lot of time contemplating something, being monks and what have you. Since we have literally no idea what we're actually looking for I figure they probably would have some kind of insight as to what we need to find and what artifact of terrible power we need to vanquish it. After all, when magic comes into play monasticism suddenly becomes a lot more relevant than ever before. If there's not a single mysterious old man who knows way more than he should in there I'd be sorely disappointed. Or at least some kind of cave of contemplation where we can get illuminating visions to help with our holy quest."

"Besides, you didn't see me complain when you and yours spent days on end being missing or incapacitated after stumbling dick first into whatever happened back in town, did you? You gotta have patience on these things, it really does pay off."

Something occurs to Ike suddenly. He checks the map.

"Aha! Forgot I had this! Okay, so new plan is we head to the monastery to see what's there - shouldn't be more than a day away. We get more context on the lands further eastward and maybe clues on what we're looking for. Then we get back on the eastern road and cautiously proceed while trying not to run afoul of too much resistance. Or maybe find an alternate route if one presents itself. We'll ask the monks for sure about that, and maybe the nomad traders if they're not inconvenient to find. We're about to be embroiled in some seriously old-fashioned guerilla warfare, so any advantage we can get may prove critical."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:48:32 am by Harry Baldman »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: January 17, 2017, 09:28:08 am »

"What? Ike? Are you okay? We already know exactly what we're looking for."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: January 17, 2017, 10:45:00 am »

"Okay, so enlighten me in that case, smartass. What are we looking for?"
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:46:42 am by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6652 on: January 17, 2017, 04:17:57 pm »

Alan, Sir Notsurewhathesdoinginparticularatthecurrentmomentforlackofaspecificobjectivetoaccomplishbuthappytotagalongandengageinsillinessandoccasionalcatastrophicmishapsforthesakeofcomedyandinfuriatingthemorestickinthebuttpeopleinafivemileradius

Interview Rickman and discover more about his alien culture and people. Also keep fussing over Bill And Ted in the meantime - make an unnecessarily big deal about getting him the best of treatment, up to and including taking water from recruits to give to Bill And Ted instead of them. Call it motivational training or whatever.

Rickman has a peculiar way of speaking and Alan has a peculiar way of speaking and understanding things. Do you actually want something reliable out of this or just general knowledge?

You're next to a well. You literally have enough water to drown the plant. It has kept on growing during the last couple of days, a bit faster than you would expect a normal plant to grow but nothing supernatural.

Ike, General of the People

"Water Monks! What an interesting concept."

Quiz time! Recruits, what do you know about the Water Monastery of Chizra? Do they let people in? And how accessible are these Nomad Traders?

EDIT: oh, and most importantly do they teach water-based martial arts?

They inform you that they usually do let people in their first circle, where people can drink their sacred water, talk to initiates and trade. They are generally kind but reclusive. They say that this well is actually maintained by the monastery as a kindness to travelers. Rumors say the monks of the inner circles cannot speak at all, instead focusing all their will on meditating the nature of water. All of that is speculation, however. It takes years for an initiate to reach the inner circles and by that time they're probably completely indoctrinated, because they've never heard of anyone leaving the monastery. They don't even know what the inner circle looks like, for it is always obscured by fog, even with the strongest of winds. Very few people go to join them and even fewer stay, for life is not easy there, especially for the initiates. Most of them are either water magic users looking for an alternative to the Tower, people in trouble looking for a place they could disappear in or people that are searching for something to devote themselves on.

As for martial arts, they are certain they can defend themselves. They've heard stories of the rare occasions where a particularly dangerous criminal or troublemaker was trapped in ice. An isolated place like that is probably also on the receiving end of the rare raid of bandits too foolish or desperate to attack anyplace else, although they don't know any reliable stories about how they deal with those. They reason that any small group could be easily dealt with, as they could just close the gates and watch them helplessly try to scale the walls. The stories say that about a hundred years ago the dragon Grazisti attacked the monastery and entered the inner circle. After three days filled with deafening roars, the dragon run away from the fog severely wounded and missing its tail. So any large group attacking them would have to believe themselves stronger and more cunning than a dragon.

The monastery is the first stop of the Nomad Traders in this kingdom before they head further in. And their village, Road's End is usually the second. It's always a big deal when a caravan passes through the village, so they know a thing or two about them. They usually sell them food for gold or other precious materials and goods they might be carrying that they could later resell at a higher value, maybe even spend their savings on some fancy new tool, although the best goods like magical items are kept for the capital. They say it's been a while since a caravan has passed through the village, so if you're lucky you might find them camping near Chizra. Even if they are not there, if you've got something the monks would want and they end up liking you, you could trade with them for some kind of water enchantment or magical item.

<You mentioned 'his kind' in reference to River, what are his kind? From your perspective and all.>
<Bond formers. We can feel it. It is like a smell. Very distinctive to those who have been touched by it, or so they say. They are symbiotes. Or parasites, depending on your perspective. They unnaturally empower people and in turn feed on their power. Their bond complements their power and help the pair survive. They come at all shapes and sizes, although they tend to choose a form that better suits the one they have bonded with. This usually translates to a great desire to protect and serve the one they have bonded with, even if it is to their detriment. But they also use their bond to try to form strong emotional connections and make the one they have bonded with feel like they need them, so the relationship is less one-sided than one might think. Those that come into being without bonding with someone while they were still forming usually don't bond until they reach adulthood, at which point they either choose to bond with someone out of respect or as part of an arrangement or are beaten into submission and forced into a bond. The three reasons are usually hard to tell apart. They tend to be solitary creatures. When two meet it is usually either to mate or to fight, the former aided by them usually being genderless. They can also spread their influence by warping beings of other species. Few of them exist at one time and even fewer of them are actually known to exist. They are even rarer than dragons in that way. Their connection to the dark is usually made apparent by their ability to empower themselves through the consumption of the soul of other living things.>

<From your perspective, what kind am I?>
<We do not know. We have knowledge of many magical beings, but certainly not all of them. What we know comes from our studies and experiences. And we have not come into contact with any creature resembling you. We can feel that you have been influenced by a bond former and that you appear to have a very unorthodox flow in your magic, but that is as much as we can tell. Magical analysis is not a primary ability of ours.>

<What do you think of Zechariah and Theri?>
<Not much. We have not seen them act enough to form an opinion. They are your companions and we will treat them as such. Unless you wanted us to estimate what kind of a threat they could pose to you or how much they could help you, but we believe that you know them better than we do and can better answer those questions. Or unless you think they are hiding something that we can sense, in which case we would need some time to study their magical flow, preferably with their consent.>

Help train our recruits.
Get some of them manufacturing slings and collecting rocks. Enough for everyone without a better ranged option. Including two for myself.

((Sorry for lack of activity))
I'll keep the training in mind as a long term goal.

Your performance during today's trip is excellent. Not only you manage to create two perfect slings, not only you help the recruits craft some pretty sweet slings of their own using spare supplies, you also help them gather ammunition and help them train, setting up targets on the road and then shooting them as you drive by, significantly improving their accuracy and speed. Their coordination is still a bit lacking though and more than once you have to dodge out of the way of a clumsy swing or help them disentangle their slings. But considering this is not the best of training environments, you'd say you did pretty well.

((Yay thanks a ton for taking care of Theri! :) I like how I've gotten San and carried him along the way))

Approach Ike, inquire about the status of his 'soldiers', inquire if I can train them in unarmed combat instead--suggest to them, then to him, if those who do not wish to fight can focus as gatherers instead; supply is just as important as those who fight.
Approach Ike, inquire about the status of his 'soldiers', inquire if I can train them in unarmed combat instead--suggest to them, then to him, if those who do not wish to fight can focus as gatherers instead; supply is just as important as those who fight.

They're just the way I like them - charmingly peculiar! And sure, go ahead and teach them kung fu and wilderness survival skills, should prepare them adequately for the Water Monastery!
I'll keep the training in mind as a long term goal.

You spend most of today's wagon ride trying to teach the men a thing or two about basic first aid and survival. You also demonstrate and explain some simple fighting techniques and have them practice the moves, punching the air or deflecting non-existent blows. You think it went pretty well for a first lesson. Although they were reluctant at first, most of them end up appreciating what you teach them and appear eager for more.

However, not everything is rosy. It becomes apparent during the course of the lesson that a couple of them severely dislike you for some reason. Not only do they refuse to participate (you have no problem with that, you're not forcing them to learn) they also try to do anything they can to disrupt your lesson, claiming that you are not fit to teach others about anything. You try to confront them about the matter to try to understand why they are doing this and try to make the situation better but that only makes things worse. The two of them make some rude comments about you and your mother then walk away from the group. San is pretty upset by this outburst and it affects the concentration of your other students for a while later. Well, at least they're not bothering you anymore.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: January 17, 2017, 04:53:06 pm »

Ike, General of the People

"Looks like what we have here is a failure to communicate!"

If some of the men don't like Theri because she's a beast person, assuage their concerns by saying that she's actually not one of that kind of beastfolk. She's actually from much further away. They grow them nicer out there, and it's this kind of prejudiced treatment that makes them turn evil to begin with.

If this does not convince them, they get to learn woodcraft with Ike! And it starts like most woodcraft lessons do - by trying to identify rogue excrement in the wilderness and match it to potential predators or prey! We're going to be doing a lot of that.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6654 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:46 pm »

Alan, Linguist

Just general knowledge is fine, I'm interested in seeing how Rickman responds to those questions.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: January 18, 2017, 03:24:31 am »

I undress and shift to full-fox to finish my conversation with Ike, I'll shift back afterwards.
<We're searching for a bond-former with This psychic identifier. It's last known form was similar to a centipede, around human height and unknown length. It is known to be a shifter. It has the ability to distort the world around it, to make it animate and hostile to life. Due to it being a bond-former, there is a chance that I will be able to sense its presence within an unkown radius. There is a similar chance the fire sword can as well. The target is actively avoiding River, and is believed to be in hiding on this world. It is suspected to be attracted to hostile environments and was last known to be in the direction of the death-infused area in the mountain range to our east, so that is where we are headed. Any questions?>

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: January 18, 2017, 07:00:50 am »

"I don't think it was last known to be anywhere in particular, was it? We picked east because it was one of several possible directions it could be in and River had a feeling it was either southeast, south or east, or at least something of that nature."

"And yeah, there being 'a chance' that you or your sword can sense it isn't exactly something I'm about to put my faith in any less than there being a solid chance the Water Monks can tell us something useful about what we're looking for. So the plan remains, and we go see the monks first and if we're lucky meet the traders as well, then go on our way."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: January 18, 2017, 07:08:16 am »

If some of the men don't like Theri because she's a beast person, assuage their concerns by saying that she's actually not one of that kind of beastfolk. She's actually from much further away. They grow them nicer out there, and it's this kind of prejudiced treatment that makes them turn evil to begin with.

If this does not convince them, they get to learn woodcraft with Ike! And it starts like most woodcraft lessons do - by trying to identify rogue excrement in the wilderness and match it to potential predators or prey! We're going to be doing a lot of that.

Awed by Ike's niceness, Theri follows it up the best way she can.

Also probably throwing in a challenge that if anyone can beat me in unarmed combat, they earn the right to denounce me as such--if otherwise, teach also the benefits of cameraderie and trusting the other person with your life.
...Best to do those kinds of challenges to show the importance--if any such situation happens, issue a challenge of arms. To denote the importance of unarmed combat--demonstrate against an armed attacker in melee.

((At first I had thought that Irine's transformation was to also help me :O But good point in context. We still have the 'exit at any time' option...and River's soulstone.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: January 18, 2017, 07:44:48 am »

<Nope. You do not have the right to unilaterally make that decision. Give a reason that isnt stupid and itll be fine, but you have so far failed, horribly, to do even that much.>

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: January 18, 2017, 09:58:15 am »

"It's easily doable and potentially useful. Pretty much a valuable stop that doesn't take us at all out of our way. I can't tell you what exactly we'll find there, but it's got all the signs of a place that has things we may need or find useful, and that's about the long and short of it. I'm not really sure why you're seemingly allergic to a short detour along the edge of the desert that leads us to an interesting place, but frankly it's really bringing down the mood."

To the Water Monastery!
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 521