Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1127874 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Everybody Lies
« Reply #4665 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

"That's different, because we're in competition with each other. We're temporarily enemies then."

"Not just then. Even when we are allies. Has your entity told you the full and correct story, do you think? And why would it do either thing? Has River told us everything he knows about our mission yet? What about when we were in that weird place with the exploding shadow doors in the alternate dimension? Lies to your allies are often lies of omission, but they can often be more active as well. They're usually well-intentioned, too, unlike lies to enemies, and come more naturally to nicer people if you can believe that."

"Of course, often there isn't really any need to lie to your allies, because all truth can potentially be useful. But sometimes that truth would grant you a little too much power over them, power that they don't want you to have, and that's when the lies come in. Lies also grant you the ability to partition information, designate people among your allies you lie to more or less - in fact, trusting someone with whatever you have lied about before, as long as you don't trust everyone with it, is a good trust-building exercise. You need not even tell them the whole truth, so good is the technique. Or you could even tell them a different, profound lie instead."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:33:14 am by Harry Baldman »

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: August 18, 2015, 09:36:12 am »

(Maybe the next mission should be a rescue mission to bring back River and his group.  It doesn't look like they're gonna be going anywhere for awhile  :P)
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:33 am »

I glance at River before looking back at Ike.
"I don't like those. I admit, I omit some things that I want to keep to myself, or that I was trusted to hide by someone else. but I don't like what you're asking me to do, same as why I don't like how much River is hiding from us. I'm afraid something from his past is going to come back to hurt us, and he won't tell us about it until it already as done harm, because he's afraid of our reactions to it. The truth is a better trust building exercise than partitioned lies anyway."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4668 on: August 18, 2015, 11:42:11 am »

"I don't like those. I admit, I omit some things that I want to keep to myself, or that I was trusted to hide by someone else. but I don't like what you're asking me to do, same as why I don't like how much River is hiding from us. I'm afraid something from his past is going to come back to hurt us, and he won't tell us about it until it already as done harm, because he's afraid of our reactions to it. The truth is a better trust building exercise than partitioned lies anyway."
"I do not understand. I did not lie to you. I have tried to say the truth. I told you what I believe and what I feel. If there is one thing I did not share with you, it was to protect those I care about." he says, looking first at Irine and then at Ike as he finishes talking.

((Sorry, been really busy. Will try to update tonight.))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:49:15 am by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:16 pm »

"But lies, unlike the truth, are an infinite resource as long as you're good enough at them. You can only tell the truth once, after all. Loses its impact afterward."

"Besides, a good lie is generally accepted as a truth. So as long as you don't get caught you'll achieve the same thing with less net expenditure of truth."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:50:01 pm by Harry Baldman »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: August 18, 2015, 04:58:26 pm »

"That's crazy Ike, the truth only grows when spread, and lies can destroy record or memory or understanding of the truth. Reality is the exact opposite of what you just said."
I then turn to River, and respond to what he just said.
"River, who are we hunting, who's body was hidden at the Relay, and why did you ask for me to hide it?"
I closely watch his reaction to my question as well.
If his memory is damaged, then this question may be critical. If he doesn't remember what we saw...
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4671 on: August 18, 2015, 07:41:59 pm »

"River, who are we hunting, whose body was hidden at the Relay, and why did you ask for me to hide it?"
I closely watch his reaction to my question as well.
If his memory is damaged, then this question may be critical. If he doesn't remember what we saw...
He focuses his eyes on you and then tilts his head a couple of second later.
"I did not ask you to hide a body... I think. It does not sound like something I would do. You are too small to drag large prey. You can not dig a large hole very quickly. And I do not remember a- Was there a-..."
He tenses up, his ears stand at attention and his eyes widen. His mouth opens as if to speak, but it closes again.
A few seconds later, his ears lower. A few seconds after that, he begins to speak with uncertainty, but his tone changes as he speaks, becoming more certain, more focused, more... loud and he starts making his way closer to you.
"No. That is not true- I do not- There was no body hidden. No body hidden there when we were there. No, that is not- I hid one but- It was a human. A human that had... grh I do not remember. Something. I had to get it. You saw it. You saw me hide it. You all saw me hide it. I did not lie. I hid it. Because I have to hide it. That is how it works. I had to do it. People see me. They can not see me."

He quickly grabs his things from the floor and continues moving towards you as he speaks.
"This conversation has gone on for too long. You will help Alan heal and prepare to leave." he growls to the people in the room.
"You will come with me." he orders you as he attempts to grab you from your comm wire and force you downstairs. He looks angry, ready to attack, ears at attention, teeth showing, the pain in his leg forgotten.
"Nobody else goes downstairs while I work."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:02:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: August 18, 2015, 07:50:43 pm »

"No, fuck that. Get your paws off Irene. I'm getting really tired of your shit River, and I think my friends agree."

Tsar shield and block with it if anyone decides to claw my face off or anything like that.
(I was hoping I could get those minor crafting actions done during the hour or so I&I spent talking.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 08:28:03 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:57 pm »

"I think your memory has been damaged River. I was talking about something different. Something I actually wasn't sure was a body or not, I was just guessing when I called it a body. Something you asked for me to not tell the others. You didn't ask for me to hide it, but to instead hide my knowledge of it."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: August 18, 2015, 08:15:07 pm »

Action amendment: butt-shootings for everyone! Make pew-pew noises.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4675 on: August 18, 2015, 08:39:18 pm »

(Hey campaign guys and gals, remember how River described your target?

The wolfman near Theri responds to your question.
"We're looking for a traitor. A murderer. A coward. A severer. One who dared violate the very nature of my species."
His voice is a mix of a deep human voice and growls.
"The despicable creature tried to flee into another world, thinking I could not track it and follow it there. We will arrive at the place it was last known to be, find whatever hole it has chosen to hide in and bring it to justice."
The anger is clear, both in his voice and in his snarling face.
"Its form has some power. The magical and physical strength my kind possesses, along with the gifts that were granted to it, all of them now squandered. Its size is larger than yours, it can fly, it can modify its form and it has some skill in manipulating the world, both the living and the dead."
He walks towards you, his body low, his ears facing forward, his tail moving nervously from side to side, looking like he is ready to attack.
"Nevertheless, it should have been made weak by its heinous acts. Meaning that even a few of us should be able to end its existence, provided we move quickly. I have acquired basic knowledge of the surrounding area and I am an expert tracker, so locating it should not be a problem."
He stops walking when he is face to face with you.
"Even if that is not the case and it is more powerful than I anticipated, we will see that it is punished for its deeds."
His teeth are a bit too close to your face for comfort.
"I will make sure of it." he adds more quietly, mostly to himself.

It's someone who is the same "species" as River, can shapeshift, can manipulate the world to affect the living and dead, and is implied to become more powerful as time passes.  After the explosion in the tower, some time went by while you were all dead, right?  Is there any possibility that the "River" with you is actually your target in disguise?)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 11:13:33 pm by Megggas »
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4676 on: August 18, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »

"No, fuck that. Get your paws off Irene. I'm getting really tired of your shit River, and I think my friends agree."

Tsar shield and block with it if anyone decides to claw my face off or anything like that.
(I was hoping I could get those minor crafting actions done during the hour or so I&I spent talking.)

((Sure. Assume it was done. It's just that now my NPCs are required to RP immediately, so I have to deal with the problem of my time running out and keeping the PCs from having pages of dialogue during a few seconds of action because I had to sleep. You still have the comm wires (the rest of you, Irene's currently being used by River), but it's still better, because if I act now I won't have to invalidate you're actions latter..))
"I think your memory has been damaged River. I was talking about something different. Something I actually wa-"
The air around Irine darkens as River tightens his grip around her body, her words replaced by a gasp as her body falls limp, every inch of it slowly slipping out of her control and filling with pain. The pain and disorientation is similar to what she feels when transforming, but much worse. She barely manages to remain conscious.

That done, he turns to face Nikolai, showing his teeth.
"Will you try stop me?" he asks, clearly believing the answer to be 'No'.
"You are weak. I am strong."

Action amendment: butt-shootings for everyone! Make pew-pew noises.
You get up from where you were taking a dump, wipe with your toilet paper, get dressed and start heading towards the building the others are in. Things sound exciting there. And all this excitement... It's drawing you in. Time to add to the fun with... Nothing? Oh well, sometimes it happens. You still arrive in time to witness River dancing with Irine while everyone else is looking at them in shock. Looks like people these days are still uncomfortable with interspecies romance.

((Oh well. It looks like talking really isn't Irine's strong point. Especially since she seems to constantly and accidentally manage to anger people who have the same problem. And now I have to start rolling for this... At least I remember some of your stats.))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:12:48 pm by Parisbre56 »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:41 pm »

Nik looks at the rest of the group.
"Well, what do you think? River's seriously pissing me off."
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:17 am »

Zechariah instinctively went for his staff, finding nothing. Instead, he was about to put up his hands in a ready position when he caught himself. He quickly thought the situation over in his head.

I can't escalate this. We can't keep fighting each other.

He struggled to keep his voice calm and collected. His hands were at his sides, though he was fighting to keep his hands from tensing up. He was on-edge.

"River, I ask this not from any sort of superior stance, but an inferior one. I ask from pure sincerity." Still, he fought his fear.
"Do you think that this is what Theri would want to see? Does this serve a purpose to help all of us? Irine didn't mean to anger you. She wanted to help. She wanted to be friendly to you. Are you going to throw away the confidence we put into you for this?

Zechariah blinked.
"Please. Let. Her. Go."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: August 19, 2015, 01:46:51 am »

Alan is shocked and appalled!

That dancing sucked! He'd clearly have to show Rover how it was done.

Summon a stereo loaded up with this song - or something similar, so long as it's extremely retro - and crank it up to full blast. Then walk up to Rover and hand his ass to him on a platter.

By dancing extremely well at him. Or knowing Alan, extremely badly. Either way.

If my stereo/whatever thingy (even a gramophone would work) summoning fails, just do the danceoff without music. Sing instead.

((If anyone wants to do some drastic actions, I have a feeling this is gonna take up his attention.))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:50:55 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 521