Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1128321 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Preparing for Mission 4
« Reply #3495 on: February 16, 2015, 10:13:09 pm »

((normally would wait to post until DAF has, but still unreliable so posting as I can.))
resume traveling, but keep alert to more food possibilities. aka: hunt as we move.
wait until Zech has eaten first of course, not going without him.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: February 17, 2015, 10:11:58 am »

John nodded slowly.  "Without summoning anything I'm pretty much useless.  But that's my- what the hell?  Okay, very impressive, can you put me down now?"

John gives Ron a look, then settles back onto his stool.

"Anyway.  That's my trick; if I can get a moment, I can summon whatever weapon I need.  A tournament... hm.  I have some ideas as to what might be the best to work that..."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: February 17, 2015, 10:49:58 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Don't appeal to a distant future, dude, that's just plainly obvious rationalization. I'm talking the here and now. There's objectives to be completed, and it's pretty obvious you might just need our help to complete them. Right now, teamwork is all that matters."

"Like here, for instance. Consider this device. You are surely sorely tempted to run into it dick-first with all your ostensibly superior knowledge without telling me anything about it, just as I am sorely tempted to start pulling random levers to see how it works. These are obviously bad ideas, and the way to get a better one is simple - it's called COMMUNICATION! Let me start."

Ike ahems, looks away, then looks back at River genially, pointing a finger at the machine.

"Why, River! I spy a marvelous metaphysical engine of change or possibly a strange art installation right over there! Would you happen to have any lore to shed light on its function, or shall I just venture a manipulation to see if it can help us in any way while you put magic-eyes on it and see what changes?"

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: February 17, 2015, 11:16:11 am »

Frankly, Zechariah didn't really care about how well-done his food was. It could just be ashes for all he cared. As long as it had some sort of nutritional value, he was happy.

Though he probably could go for some sort of seasoning for these rats right about now.

Eat and keep moving. Hopefully, once we get back to the shelter, we may find some food that proves to be more appetizing than charred rat bodies.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: February 17, 2015, 06:08:08 pm »

Am I still being held? if so "Put me down, I am not in the mood to help someone show off"
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3500 on: February 17, 2015, 09:46:33 pm »

Staging Area

Enter the watermill, and search the structure. If alone, shut and lock the door, then sit down with my back to it, sighing.
You enter the watermill. It's a very small structure with only a single room, with a ladder leading to a platform higher up set up to provide better access to the millstone. It doesn't look like there is anybody around here. You lock the door, lean against it and sigh. The gears are currently disengaged, so the millstone is not turning. You can occasionally hear the creaking of wood as the waterwheel's axle rotates. There's also the constant sound of water running outside.

You think you're safe. But a moment later you find yourself back inside the inn.

John nodded slowly.  "Without summoning anything I'm pretty much useless.  But that's my- what the hell?  Okay, very impressive, can you put me down now?"

John gives Ron a look, then settles back onto his stool.

"Anyway.  That's my trick; if I can get a moment, I can summon whatever weapon I need.  A tournament... hm.  I have some ideas as to what might be the best to work that..."
"Sure man. Just saying, it's gonna be a bit hard going against somebody who can make a sword appear out of thin air when you have no equipment of your own. You're not as good at that sort of thing as my guy. I'm telling you, if he was here, he'd be champion, no problem."

EVERYONE
"Ah, good, everyone is already here." the entity says as it forms jumps out of the shadows in the walls.
"Oh, wait, almost everyone. Let me fix that."
He snaps his fingers and Rune appears out of thin air.
"We've already got the next challenge ready. Simple, but effective. A grand tournament that will pit each of you against the other, testing your ability to fight and your ability to think. After all, fighting is more than a physical activity."

"Once a duel starts, there are no rules. Be civilized or brutal, straightforward or deceitful, it matters not. You can do anything you want to crush your enemies. To win the tournament. To prove you are the best. The only way to stop a fight is to have your opponent die before you do, cause him to admit defeat and surrender or demonstrate that he is defeated beyond reasonable doubt."
"Still, we'll be watching, so try to put on a good show, eh?"
"On the other hand, before each match starts, one of you will get to choose the environment the fight takes place in. The other will choose your weapons and equipment. Any of the two can choose to not accept the other's decision. In that case, we will decide about those matters. If one cannot or does not want to make a decision, we will make one for him. We may also intervene if you decide something unacceptable, but I do not think that's very likely to happen."

<No thing is for me unacceptable.
Even birdrivers I find delectable.>

"Please, don't. I'd rather have them fight in a field full of bunnies that shoot lasers out of their eyes than that thing."
"Are you saying that my guy can't make good environment choices? Just because you don't understand art doesn't make it bad you know." the bartender protests.
The shadow sighs.
"Too bad your guy is not here. I'd love to see him crushed. Anyway, that's pretty much it. We have three duels in round one, then a three way fight between the round one losers to give one of them a second chance, then two duels in the semi-finals and the final duel in the finals, where we will determine our champion. How does that sound? Any questions? Ready to prove which one of you is the best?"

Campaign

Frankly, Zechariah didn't really care about how well-done his food was. It could just be ashes for all he cared. As long as it had some sort of nutritional value, he was happy.

Though he probably could go for some sort of seasoning for these rats right about now.

Eat and keep moving. Hopefully, once we get back to the shelter, we may find some food that proves to be more appetizing than charred rat bodies.
((normally would wait to post until DAF has, but still unreliable so posting as I can.))
resume traveling, but keep alert to more food possibilities. aka: hunt as we move.
wait until Zech has eaten first of course, not going without him.
After a rather unappetizing but filling meal, you continue moving. Irine manages to catch a small rodent that she almost swallows whole, but nothing else of interest happens during your trip to the shelter.

You descend the crater of debris surrounding the entrance to your shelter. It looks like someone has destroyed part of the hole in the ground acting as an entrance, removing some of the stones covering it.

((You're a bit forward in time in relation to Ike and River.))

Campaign, Ike!

"Don't appeal to a distant future, dude, that's just plainly obvious rationalization. I'm talking the here and now. There's objectives to be completed, and it's pretty obvious you might just need our help to complete them. Right now, teamwork is all that matters."

"Like here, for instance. Consider this device. You are surely sorely tempted to run into it dick-first with all your ostensibly superior knowledge without telling me anything about it, just as I am sorely tempted to start pulling random levers to see how it works. These are obviously bad ideas, and the way to get a better one is simple - it's called COMMUNICATION! Let me start."

Ike ahems, looks away, then looks back at River genially, pointing a finger at the machine.

"Why, River! I spy a marvelous metaphysical engine of change or possibly a strange art installation right over there! Would you happen to have any lore to shed light on its function, or shall I just venture a manipulation to see if it can help us in any way while you put magic-eyes on it and see what changes?"
"I do not like the way you speak." he growls as he walks towards you.
"I have the responsibility to return you to the one that chose you." he continues as he passes by you.
He grunts as he shoves the piece of half-burnt furniture separating you from the depression in the wall containing the mechanism out of the way.
"Bringing your soulsphere back is returning you. Do not insult me."
He proceeds to have a closer look around the wall, sniffing it in the process.
"The smell is coming from behind this thing. Small seams. Very little air. I am surprised you smelled this."
Well, you already knew that, but it's OK to get a confirmation. You think you can smell a very faint smell of actual fish now that you're closer. Hopefully you're not wasting your time with a giant magical freezer.
"I feel magic coming from it. Strong magic. Feels like the one in the tower. They used it to link magical things together. Also other kinds of magic but less strong. Can not tell exactly what they are. Something feels... off. The magical energy release that caused our death must have damaged it. Or maybe it is old and has not been repaired for some time."
He takes a few steps back.
"I do not want to use my abilities on it. It could cause a link to activate. Even being near it could. Anything anyone does near it could. And without using my ability I can not tell you how it works. What activating it would do. I do not want to risk hurting Theri or waste more time regenerating."
He then bends down to take a closer look to the various symbols.
"I do not know what those mean. A reminder, instructions, the creator's signature. It could be anything. I was given no information about them. And I did not take the time to fully recreate our communication magic. If those symbols are something that can be translated, then I can not do it now. And I do not want to waste more time here than we can spare."
He gets back up again.
"I feel this" he points at the slider "and this" he points at the symbols below the slider "are related. Humans tend to do that in their machines."
Well, if this is a giant magical freezer, that could be the temperature control.
"I also see there are three of each... Maybe this machine does something related to the number three. Or the one who built it likes the number three. I do not know."
He starts walking backwards, leaving a respectable distance between himself and the wall.
"I suggest you try to figure it out, if you want to. Keep those stones you took away from it. And the communication magic too. Your abilities are not magical. You are not magical. It will be harder for you to trigger its links. And if they cause something harmful, if something happens to you, I will try to protect you and heal you. I will try to communicate to help, if I can."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: February 17, 2015, 10:01:07 pm »

John grinned and nodded.  "Ready for anything.  Like how you handle a 6-player bracket."

He looked at the bartender.  "Which one is your person?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: February 17, 2015, 11:34:06 pm »

"Tournament, huh? Interesting.
Also, I would love to hear the backstory about the... birdriver?"

Listen for anymore delectable hints as to the others' powers
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: February 18, 2015, 02:42:10 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Oh, no insults here. Just a call for a cooler, more cucumber-like attitude to these things. On that note, let's take a quick look-see."

What setting is the slider on? What symbol is beneath it?

Move it to the triangle.

Then check if the handles are manipulable.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: February 18, 2015, 03:10:41 am »

"Let us begin."
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: February 18, 2015, 05:32:21 am »

*Still tries to decipher the secrets of cooking*
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:52 am »

<That doesn't look good, someone's been digging at our entry-hole. Zech, be careful when we go in, ok?>
cautiously continue inside, and once inside search for intruders.

((I'm pretty sure the digging was River removing anti-magic rocks from the entry tunnel, but w/e.))
((I'll probably be able to post again around this time tomorrow))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3507 on: February 18, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »

Sorry for the delay, my brain is busy being spaghetti. I'll just reply to these two keep things moving.

Campaign

Campaign, Ike!

"Oh, no insults here. Just a call for a cooler, more cucumber-like attitude to these things. On that note, let's take a quick look-see."

What setting is the slider on? What symbol is beneath it?

Move it to the triangle.

Then check if the handles are manipulable.

River says nothing. He just emits an annoyed grunt.

Here's a diagram of the thing I quickly put together to make it easier to understand:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As shown by the image, the slider is currently in the circle with the half-carved interior. You can just give a number from 1 to 19 if you want, with 1 being the leftmost. So with that system, triangle would be 19.

You start moving the slider to the triangle. It's surprisingly easy to move. You could probably just shove it with your leg. It feels well oiled, which is kind of strange considering it was next to a fire. Maybe the oil was protected by magic. Or maybe the slider is held in place via magic. Although the second option is probably less likely, given the fact that you can hear something moving behind the wall as you move the slider. Someone who would use magic to oil a slider would probably not bother with installing mechanisms in the first place. Then again they could. Might be doing it for cultural reasons or just because they like the sound of things. Maybe whatever you hear moving behind the wall is completely unrelated to its function, it might just be decorative. Who knows with those guys?

Specifically, you can hear something like stone grinding against stone coming from two places, one staying in the same place somewhere near the centre of the wall and one moving upwards. Every time the slider passes a symbol there is a click, after which the slider cannot be moved back towards the previous symbol, only towards the next.

You reach the final symbol, a triangle. There's a final click and then the slider refuses to move anymore. Nothing else happens.

You grab the leftmost handle and try pulling it. You feel and hear the stone it is attached to move slightly, as if it could be pulled out of the triangle-shaped hole but something is preventing it from doing so. You can also feel the handle turning slightly clockwise and counter-clockwise. Hopefully that doesn't mean that it has become unscrewed and is about to fall off. You try the other two handles with pretty much the same result.

<That doesn't look good, someone's been digging at our entry-hole. Zech, be careful when we go in, ok?>
cautiously continue inside, and once inside search for intruders.

((I'm pretty sure the digging was River removing anti-magic rocks from the entry tunnel, but w/e.))
((I'll probably be able to post again around this time tomorrow))
You cautiously walk through the entrance. Hm. That feeling of uneasiness you felt the two previous times you went through it is gone. You continue moving as carefully and as quietly as you can, keeping your eyes and ears open.

After carefully investigating the inside of the shelter, you conclude that there is nothing living there, at least nothing that you can sense. Although judging from the smell Ike and River were here some time ago.

Rocks have been moved around inside the shelter, exposing a small hole in the ground and some of the broken furniture you were using to fuel the fire have been moved around. That's pretty much all the changes you can see.

Other than that, it's the usual. Just rocks, some damaged clothes, broken objects and some corpses with very little to no flesh remaining on them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:56:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: February 19, 2015, 10:30:04 am »

((Reading comprehension fail, went back and realized that River asked me to take Zech to the volcano where I was revived, not the shelter.
oops, would have been going where he asked if I'd realized my error sooner. been rather busy lately))

((depending on how things go, this may be my last post for a couple weeks, though I'll post if I can. auto me as necessary please.))

<Well, this is where we've been hiding. Seems that River took everything of value out of here and left.>
<I think I might have misunderstood what he wanted. I thought we were supposed to meet him here, but the way he phrased it, he might have actually asked for us to go to the volcano, which makes sense now that I think on it. The way I see it we have a couple options. priority number one is to make sure we're ok, need to get you some more food and probably some water. I'm not sure about the food, but there is some kind of well or cistern hidden in a basement nearby I can show you too if you feel up for it, though we aren't the only ones that know about it. We could also wait here, or I could follow River and Ike's scent if you want and track them. or we could go directly to the meeting point at the volcano. what do you want to do?>
follow Zech's lead

if in the following turns we encounter humans again, I'm going to want to talk to them peacefully again, but with periodic implied threats that remind that I could kill them if I want to, I just have no reason to want that.
if "cousin" is who we meet, especially if he's alone, then i'm going to want to change to full-human form and change into the clothes Zech is carrying for me, if we're going to be having an extended conversation.
if we encounter another ashwraith, I'm going to avoid telepathy and attempt to repeatedly enclose it in flame again
if we encounter a discoball, I'm going to try to sieze it and slam it into the ground using my abilities.
if we encounter a large predator, I'm going to defend Zech and myself but not attack it unless it acts like it thinks we're prey or Zech attacks.
I will not split up from Zech except to hunt, and even then stay close, even if he asks me to leave him.
If Zech becomes immobilized then I'll go hybrid form and perform medical aid. if he is beyond my help then I'll attempt to contact River. If River is unable to be contacted then I'll go to the human village in full-human form for assistance.

I figure you've been GMing Irine and me for well over a year now, you can auto her pretty well by now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: February 19, 2015, 12:01:14 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

"Hope I didn't break it. And also hope I don't break it some more!"

Now, listen carefully to any and all movements around me.

Touch the horsey-head symbol for a moment.

Try to pull down the rightmost lever, leave the others up. Turn the rightmost triangle handle thing clockwise.

Then touch the horsey-head again. Giggle softly.

Try the opposite configuration of levers and triangles if nothing happens, then touch the horsey-head a final time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:14:10 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 521