Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1124781 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: I need guns. Lots of guns.
« Reply #1560 on: February 23, 2014, 02:18:23 pm »

Test just how much force I can apply to things, and how evenly. (E.g, if I can apply ten thousand newtons of force, I could lift a car, but if it's all applied to a 10-centimeter area I'm going to be ripping the car apart)
Spend those last two minutes getting the city firmly in my mind and trying to figure out where the BETA is coming from. And where the people are.
EDIT: If I hear, um, NAV's note, head for that corner of the city.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:16:55 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »

I've finally caught up on the Amethyst mission. Well, I read pretty much all of it today, but whatever.

1. Lenglon's host fits her character.

The booze might as well had been petroleum...but at least it's cheap
Definitely not petroleum then.

You get nothing more than that he works for the Cause and is a spy on the Agency. ((Here's a sentence that shows I have no imagination when it comes to names. I could just call the Soviets the Empire and we'd complete this no imagination trio.))
I'd be willing to help with this come next mission. My brand of overthinking might require asking for minor plot details, though.

4. Might I suggest some sort of Character Summary? I can keep the hosts of 2-3 of the characters in mind, they're distinctive, but the rest...really aren't.

5. We can do a Target Amethyst mission again later, right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 23, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »

((Neat.  Should it fail, though, I do have a secondary plan.  It involves using my tech sense on the robot to figure out its weakness.  You know, the touch range one.))

John regarded his work.  Hmm... needs armor, but there's no time for that.

Summon up an autoloader.  Once that's done, start making DU penetrator rounds (with a steel shell to enable firing in ferrous mode.)  Reject any crappy shell.

<<Okay, team, I'm in the construction zone and my cannon's ready.  A couple good hits from this and he should be down for the count, unless he has freaky alien armor or something.>>
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 24, 2014, 08:15:03 pm »

Broadcast to everyone:
"I have some data on the Beta. It's heading for the landing point gamma, southeast corner of the city. The undeveloped land. So point all your big guns in that direction."

Look for any tape, glue, rope, string, or zip ties. Stuff my pockets full.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 24, 2014, 08:26:56 pm »

<"Roger roger, niner niner, check your vector, vector. I got a spaceplane with that new guy, we're going to either distract it or try to throw explosives at it. If you guys find any explosive barrels, lemme know.">
Start up the spaceship.
(Just realized I called Coolrune by his OOC name. :S)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 11:16:14 pm by Fniff »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »

John grinned.  <<Perfect.  I've got the big gun lined up and ready to fire when it approaches.>>
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1566 on: February 26, 2014, 08:07:48 pm »

Bryan
This man keeps a tight lid on his memories.  Hard to get anything while being careful.
Focus in on the lack of emotion and on how efficient he is, why is he like that?
Faron
Extract information, sterilize, leave without harming the people from the car, if possible.
{Irine}
<Stellar? Is this conversation private? Are my thoughts private? I know we're being watched, but how much is actually observed?>
Chat with Stellar while I wait.

{Zoe}
Go inside and talk to Ed already!
"Theoretically, your thoughts are private. Practically... it depends. I can't detect anyone eavesdropping right now but that doesn't mean it isn't happening. Just that the chances of that happening are low. Nobody can ever be completely safe. Especially when your body and mind is put in the hands of others."

((The front door doesn't have a handle from the outside. You can't go inside.
In case I forgot to describe it, the house is made of stone, is three stories high (ground floor, first floor, attic), the windows in the front side of the ground floor have been partially boarded up, it has a sturdy wooden front door and a back door.))

You walk up to the door and knock, barely containing your emotions. A second after there's a loud noise from inside the house. You jump. The unmistakable sound of a high caliber weapon discharging echoes throughout the otherwise quiet and empty neighborhood. In the second it takes for the shock to wear off and realize what's going on, you hear the back door of the house slamming open.

((I will not consider any yelling that comes as a result of this turn unreasonable.))

((The Artemis Fowl series was what got me into writing, so that's something good.))

Interface, Scion: <You would get along well with the Topaz, Emerald, and Amethyst-spectrum Guardians. They're known for having more pessimistic traits.>

Okay, obviously his subconscious is unwilling to give any more details about his work.

Host: >Enter the room where Raul is located. Present yourself as an Agent, and listen to what he has to say for now.
"You say pessimist, I say realist. I think you'll soon realize (if you haven't already) that most things in this world depend on your perspective. Your ideas and you perceptions. If you know how to take advantage of that when it comes to other people, then they will not only do what you want, they'll do it willingly and then thank you for giving them the opportunity to serve you."

You walk up to the private room and slide the door open.
It's a dim place, filled with dark shadows occasionally broken by the orange light given off by a few small lamps. The lamps stand in the walls among various cheap posters and other decorations that fit with the overall theme of the place. There's a small wooden table in the center of the room, surrounded by a few stools. And in one of them sits a man in dark clothes, as is stereotypical for those working in the cloak and dagger.
"You're the man they sent?" he asks, his accent betraying his motherland.
"Agent Kalle Swift." You say as you flash your id with one hand while sliding the door closed with the other. Miraculously, closing the door, despite it's thinness, lowers the amount of noise coming from outside significantly. "You Raul?"
"Maybe."
Oh. Great. He's got to be one of those guys, doesn't he?
"You've got something for me?"
"Hold on a sec. Before I say anything, I gotta know I'm going to be taken care of."
"Poor choice of words there." comments Scion with a small laugh. Good thing the man cannot hear her.
"The things I know are very important. Risked a lot to learn that stuff. My life could be in danger."
Yep, one of those guys. Somehow, the thought of killing him seems a bit more appealing now.
"Now, what would the Agency be willing to offer for that kind of information?"
"I say just threaten him. Traitors are usually cowards."

"My master calls me, says 'I need you here!'~
And it's-a half past four and I'm shifting ge-ear~"

>Maintain vaguely murderous disposition and drive over to the destination.
You arrive to the Restaurant and park outside.
There's a fat bouncer standing outside with a disinterested look on his face, more decoration to ward off anyone who would dare approach this place with inappropriate wardrobe.
Your target is somewhere in there.

I'm assuming you want to take the RPG out of the trunk and fire it at the place, right? Oh, wait, scratch that, you're the one that wants Raul alive, at least until you get the information out of him.

Dance in order to attract attention Get up and look around unobtrusively.
Drink drink.

You get up and look around. Well, there's nothing in the immediate area. You move around the room, shoving people out of the way while checking the various tables.
After a good deal of searching, you find your targets. The two old guys. They're sitting on a table near a dark corner, talking.

The good news is, you don't have to search for them anymore.
The bad news is, they saw you. And while they don't seem to recognize you, they might not take the fact that someone is staring at them so well.
The really bad news is, the Russian man has an Interface. You can't see its color, its crystal is missing. Your host can't see the Interface but you can. And that means whoever is in that guy saw your Interface.

I've finally caught up on the Amethyst mission. Well, I read pretty much all of it today, but whatever.
Yeah, haven't done as many turns as I'd like. Damn homework. Hopefully things will be better next week.
1. Lenglon's host fits her character.
Really? I'd say it doesn't really. Then again, I don't know Lenglon that well.

Except if you mean Lenglon's Player Character, Irene. Then you could say they are vaguely similar. But still, I don't think they're that similar.
The booze might as well had been petroleum...but at least it's cheap
Definitely not petroleum then.
It was a mistranslation of an expression in my mother language. When booze is very cheap and very low quality, we call it "gasoline", because gasoline (or at least some types of gasoline) is clear, like some types of booze and is cheap (or at least was, in the past).
Isn't gasoline still incredibly cheap in some places? US especially, at least that's what an exchange student told me.

How I managed to turn gasoline into petroleum... (No chemistry/geology jokes.)
You get nothing more than that he works for the Cause and is a spy on the Agency. ((Here's a sentence that shows I have no imagination when it comes to names. I could just call the Soviets the Empire and we'd complete this no imagination trio.))
I'd be willing to help with this come next mission. My brand of overthinking might require asking for minor plot details, though.
Eh. It's really not that important. Just me complaining. Do that a lot.

Besides, missions are like children. Their creators don't want others messing with them. They want to screw them up themselves in their own special way.
4. Might I suggest some sort of Character Summary? I can keep the hosts of 2-3 of the characters in mind, they're distinctive, but the rest...really aren't.
That's probably  because people keep failing their "Check host's memories" rolls for some reason.
Too bad we didn't get any critfails yet.
5. We can do a Target Amethyst mission again later, right?
Sure, we can do another Deep Sync mission, I just got to think of an acceptable story. Or you got to give me a good idea.
The basic premise is just giving your hosts more control and setting you out into a wider world with less linear/more vague objectives.

Peregrine
((I love that teasing helpful tone. xD))
Haha. I'm here Theri, I'm here. No need to call my name. Though I have to admit, the way you say it is kind of cute.
Anyway, you did well. Very well, in fact. I'm a bit surprised you adjusted so fast. You've got the right idea, trying to be subtle, acting like her conscience. Hopefully, we'll be able to help her with whatever troubles her.
I first thought you were saying that like you were teasing from a pseudo-first-person me. Eheh. That was-thanks!
Theri sifted through the memories and tried to piece together something, but decided to be sure on the matter.

I wonder...
Try to remember what Zoe's case was. What was stopping me from helping her?
Next, try to remember if there were any sense of 'leads' that I felt.

((Whenever I use the word "You" below, I'm referring to your host, the woman whose body you are inside right now. Just making it clear.))

It wasn't a problem with Zoe in particular that was stopping you. It's the way your ability (or rather, your host's ability) works.
You are simply a conduit for the spirits. A way for them to access the physical world and influence it. A way for them to share their knowledge and wisdom with those that come to you for aid.
You can use meditative techniques to concentrate and become more receptive to their influences (or conversely better block the influence of those spirits that would seek to confuse you and lead you astray or worse seek to possess you) but you cannot control what they give you, you cannot force them to act.
So when Zoe came to you seeking help in finding the people who abducted the one she loved, all you could do was open your mind to the spirits and hope they could give you what you and Zoe needed.
With Zoe, the spirits told you nothing. Not even a tiny whisper. It was... quite unusual. Most of the time you get something, even if it isn't immediately useful.Sometimes they speak to you and show you things without you having to open your mind. Like what happened with this dream.

The dream... that was stranger still. It filled your senses. It was full of symbolism and strong imagery, the kind those supernatural entities are prone to creating. It was as if everything the spirits refused to tell you when others were present suddenly flooded your senses the moment they were gone, drowning your perceptions.
You're still trying to understand the entirety of what you saw, trying to hold on to every tiny bit of memory you have of the incident. Dreams are easy to forget, even one that had such... unnatural energy behind it.
From the details you remember right now, you're fairly certain there is danger up ahead. Danger for all of you. But the two people the vision centered around was Zoe and Ed.

Ed told you he was going to let Zoe stay at his place while she was searching for a place to stay. That's why you're driving there. If the dream told you they are in danger, then that's probably where you have to go to help them or at least find out how to help them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:25:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »

It was a mistranslation of an expression in my mother language. When booze is very cheap and very low quality, we call it "gasoline", because gasoline (or at least some types of gasoline) is clear, like some types of booze and is cheap (or at least was, in the past).
And? I was making a joke about oil prices.

Isn't gasoline still incredibly cheap in some places? US especially, at least that's what an exchange student told me.
Cheap compared to what? I don't drive, and I haven't been old enough to think about it for more than a few years, but high gas prices are a stock complaint here in the States.

Besides, missions are like children. Their creators don't want others messing with them. They want to screw them up themselves in their own special way.
Understandable, if pessimistic. Still, if you need name-help, you know I'm willing.

That's probably  because people keep failing their "Check host's memories" rolls for some reason.
That might help.
A general "Character Status" bit in the turn posts might not be a bad idea, either.

Too bad we didn't get any critfails yet.
That sounds like the kind of thing that would be more annoying than funny until we had a chance to view the story as a whole.

Sure, we can do another Deep Sync mission, I just got to think of an acceptable story. Or you got to give me a good idea.
The basic premise is just giving your hosts more control and setting you out into a wider world with less linear/more vague objectives.
Indeed. Hm...let me give it some thought.
One thing that comes to mind immediately: Heist stuff could be neat, especially with each player having a different agenda that no one else knows. One is a secret cop, one is secretly trying to kill another, one is trying to minimize casualties, etc, and of course all want the big share of the loot (and as much of the rest as possible). Like, if they're robbing the Smithstonian, the Hope Diamond would be the main goal, but other treasures and such would be secondary. Ideally, the PCs would break in together, and then begin to splinter as their agendas clashed, before finally turning into a big free-for-all trying to grab a lot of loot without dying. Ideally, there would be incentives both for personal success and group success (e.g, "X/6 players acheived their agendas!" or "Y% of treasure stolen!" or something).
Sig

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 26, 2014, 09:18:27 pm »

"You say pessimist, I say realist. I think you'll soon realize (if you haven't already) that most things in this world depend on your perspective. Your ideas and you perceptions. If you know how to take advantage of that when it comes to other people, then they will not only do what you want, they'll do it willingly and then thank you for giving them the opportunity to serve you."
Interface, Scion: <That's how the Guardians and Mediums work. We all have different purposes, different traits, and different abilities that work in cohesion to fight the Shadow.>

"I say just threaten him. Traitors are usually cowards."
Interface, Scion: <That reminds me of Commander Oblivion, my alter-ego's nemesis. He used his charisma to manipulate entire kingdoms and dethroned both Artemis and Apollo at the same time. At one point I think he was even a triple agent.
...Artemis and I ended up uniting as one to kill him.>

Host: >Tell Raul that he is in a lot more trouble than he knows, and that you're already doing him a favor by offering him short asylum for his information. Tell him he can't push it with the Agency, and if he does, there will be repercussions.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:27 pm »

<Commander Oblivion? Is that some kind of-->
((Sorry, dunno how Meta-Will got in here.))
Sig

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 26, 2014, 09:30:27 pm »

Bryan
Some interesting information, a shame that now would be a bad time to dig for more; I need to focus.  A new destination also good.  I hope I haven't made a mistake.
Faron
Go to the place detailed by Edward.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 26, 2014, 09:59:56 pm »

One thing that comes to mind immediately: Heist stuff could be neat, especially with each player having a different agenda that no one else knows. One is a secret cop, one is secretly trying to kill another, one is trying to minimize casualties, etc, and of course all want the big share of the loot (and as much of the rest as possible). Like, if they're robbing the Smithstonian, the Hope Diamond would be the main goal, but other treasures and such would be secondary. Ideally, the PCs would break in together, and then begin to splinter as their agendas clashed, before finally turning into a big free-for-all trying to grab a lot of loot without dying. Ideally, there would be incentives both for personal success and group success (e.g, "X/6 players acheived their agendas!" or "Y% of treasure stolen!" or something).

((+1 to this.  As a bonus, penalize outright killing teammates to encourage more creative ways to screw them over.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 26, 2014, 10:02:45 pm »

Hi Lenglon. :))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 27, 2014, 05:49:40 am »

"And I'll walk right through the door, walk right through the door!" Ike sings. He's been through about five songs by now. It was a long drive.

>Walk right through the door. Make sure to be packing at least a handgun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 27, 2014, 07:07:47 am »

{Lenglon}
((I'm getting really frustrated here, It's taken me two turns to walk from a car to a door, 3 turns to drive a 15 min walk, meaning less than 3 min drive, when it takes anyone else 2 turns to go all the way across town, and thus far I've been completely unable to do anything at all, all mission. Could I please be allowed to do something? anything? I haven't had any options, any decisions, any actions, anything at all. I might as well not be here for all it matters.))

waiting for permission to play the game, and hoping that Ed lied, keeping Amelia and Zoe both safe at the same time. a pro won't bother killing someone extra to fulfill a private threat to a dead man. It's just extra risk and cleaning with zero reward even for future intimidations since the threat wasn't made public, so as long as he accepted his own death, which he seemed to have, then lying is the smart choice.

{Irine}

Listen for danger and if Zoe freezes up, nudge her towards decisiveness.

If Zoe really can't decide for herself, then I'm in favor of chasing the moving one (if catchable) while Morgan protects/treats the wounded one, if not catchable then Zoe is a trained military medic, right? She knows how to handle gunshot wounds. It's Zoe's decision though and I don't want to interfere. I just know that whatever decision she makes, she needs to make it fast.

{Zoe}

Decide between chasing whoever ran out back, and running inside, and act on that decision. Run around to the back and yell for help while you decide since the only way in is back there and so is the person you might be chasing.

((Zoe's ex-military and froze upon hearing gunfire? what? that's... odd. Irine is used to a primitive society/life, so I'd kinda expect that from her. But Zoe should be used to gunfire and should have been acting immediately.))

((I suppose Irine could have interfered and told Morgan to drive faster, but I had no reason to believe she was going super-slow until it was too late. Remember Zoe is an NPC. You've been ending turns like she's a PC, and so I've been posting action suggestions for her, but Zoe is an NPC, I don't know her personality fully, or her story, or what she'd do, or whatever. and these are Her decisions you keep asking me for. Irine really doesn't want to interfere and will not do so lightly. I'm not going to be posting dialog for Zoe, ever. My character is Irine. Zoe is yours.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 521