Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If everyone drinks in the storeroom, should I move the pile to the meeting room?  (Read 1859 times)

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always have 10+ dwarfs sitting in the store room adjacent to my legendary meeting room having a drink.  Should I move the drink stockpile to the meeting hall? If I want them to take advantage of the work I've put into the meeting hall I gotta get them there.  Why will they take food to the tables but not drink?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Dwarves drink straight from barrels because... they do. If you want them to admire the lovely artwork you've applied to the meeting hall while they sate their thirst, you'll need to have drink-only stockpiles in said hall that contain most or all of your alcohol supplies.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Off-topic, but, is that a Gnome I see as your avatar?

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Off-topic, but, is that a Gnome I see as your avatar?

Shh, it was the most contextually close avatar I had.  They hide in the food stockpile and eat the leftovers, and secretly help the mechanics in their workshops.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude, you "have" every image on the Internet, in any size you want, for free.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

admire the lovely artwork you've applied to the meeting hall
Dwarves don't actually admire artwork - engravings merely change how much dwarves admire the rooms containing them (art depicting things they dislike makes them like the room less, while art depicting things they like makes them like the room significantly more than usual).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But statues and other furniture are admired independently and increasing value of the room, aren't they?
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When valuable enough yes, that's where the 'Urist McLazy admired a fine door' thoughts come from.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

I think having drink barrels lying around the meeting room would ruin the aesthetic, even if it does make the trip to the barrel a little bit shorter. Giving the meeting room its own private drinks cellar would be pretty neat though, especially if you arranged it so that each type of booze had its own alcove.

Hmm, I wonder if you could use the mechanics of that to control the brewing of pig tails, whip vines, and other plants with uses beyond brewing? Make only a limited number of pots from a certain material, and tie them to a still that is also tied to a particular kind of plant. When all the pots are full, any jobs remaining at that still will be cancelled.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile

When valuable enough yes, that's where the 'Urist McLazy admired a fine door' thoughts come from.
Eventually the overwhelming number of "Urist McFarmer admired a fine weapon trap" messages starts to make me feel like I may have too many for simple defense...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

But statues and other furniture are admired independently and increasing value of the room, aren't they?
Correct - dwarves directly admire individual buildings (with bonuses if they are "tastefully arranged" in a sculpture garden) and enjoy using high quality rooms (eating in dining rooms, sleeping in bedrooms, and having meetings in offices), but they don't get thoughts from engravings anywhere.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, I like to store my food in the dining halls and my drinks all over the fort wherever there is a workshop.  Dwarves drink often, and I don't like them pathing far to do it.  They can drink on their own time.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once tried this very thing and I liked the results. I set up four stockpiles in the dining room, enough to hold 6 barrels each. Each stockpile was limited to one or two types of drink. The main drink stockpile was close to the still and the dining room stockpiles took from the main one. That kept each stockpile full, ensured a variety of drink, and kept the dwarves in a happy place as they got sloshed. Dwarves drank at the main stockpile if they were closer to it when they got thirsty, but it was a minority who would.