Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346318 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1800 on: August 24, 2016, 05:25:52 pm »

And that's trivial. Minor improvements could change the date by over a year.

Also, PROJECT MEDUSA SQUEEEEEEE

It's an Armokdamn shame that we aren't allowed to detonate nuclear pulses in space anymore.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 24, 2016, 05:31:52 pm »

What I'm saying is would the trip take 44 earth years (about 43.5 years for the ship), or 44 ship years (about 44.5 years for earth)

It's the same length of time.  There isn't an appreciable difference in velocity between the two solar systems.  They would experience the same number of years, just earth would experience the years slightly earlier and then the ship would catch up towards the end.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 24, 2016, 05:43:18 pm »

No they wouldn't. The people on the ship would forever be 1 year younger than the people on earth than they were when they launched.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 24, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »

The GR effects due to acceleration will be agreed on by all observers regardless of reference frame, the SR effects due to velocity and different inertial frames are the ones that make it look like the other guy is the one being slowed down.

When you undergo acceleration you actually move slower through time, and thus age less compared to an unaccelerated observer.

More to the point, we need to chuck a starwisp over there, as it can get there in a really short amount of time compared to trying to get people over the whole "OMG NUH NUKES IN SPAEC GUIZ" thing, I can get behind a ban on orion surface launchers, though they're awesome at it, but preventing their use outside of our orbit and even outside of the magnetosphere is just absurd.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 24, 2016, 11:15:11 pm »

In local system news, I recently heard about plans for a lunar orbit space station. Has this been discussed yet?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 25, 2016, 12:23:37 am »

In local system news, I recently heard about plans for a lunar orbit space station. Has this been discussed yet?

The reasoning behind the plan is that nasa is currently building this huge SLS rocket, and the orion deep space exploration vessel, both with nowhere to go. There are not nearly enough firm plans for destinations, and to keep SLS viable it needs at least one mission each year. So currently some of these space station concepts pop up, by companies that hope to get a lucrative contract.

Recently there was this other cis-lunar moon station proposal by orbital ATK:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/05/orbital-atk-cislunar-habitat-missions-sls-orion/

And this orbital mars station by lockheed:
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/ssc/mars-orion.html

But with the ISS nearing the end of its life early next decade, there is certainly a need for a new station, or stations. There's quite a bit of talk that indicates modules will be split of from ISS at the end of its life to form their own separate space stations.
It should also  be noted that there are commercial efforts as well for space stations (space tourism!). Also other countries (china) have plans for building their own destinations, so I am optimistic that at least some of these will get build and that we'll have more than just one space station in the future.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:28:00 am by Bralbaard »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 25, 2016, 12:41:17 am »

My big hope (well, one among many) is that the US will retract the ban on NASA collaboration with CNSA so they'll be able to get in on the next international station project.

The stars are more important.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 25, 2016, 01:45:25 am »

I think the plans are shifting more and more towards an outpost on the lunar surface, which would provide a good test environment for living on another planet, including construction from on-site materials, producing rocket fuels, testing direct launch railguns or space elevators, and so on.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 25, 2016, 05:07:40 am »

The GR effects due to acceleration will be agreed on by all observers regardless of reference frame, the SR effects due to velocity and different inertial frames are the ones that make it look like the other guy is the one being slowed down.

When you undergo acceleration you actually move slower through time, and thus age less compared to an unaccelerated observer.
The twin paradox has nothing to do with GR or acceleration - it's a purely SR effect. You get different elapsed proper time because of different paths through space-time between the same pair of events.
It's true that in a typical twin paradox scenario an outbound twin must reverse her velocity to get back home, but: 1) the acceleration is not what causes differential ageing 2) you can construct the scenario without acceleration at all (e.g. by using a closed space, or a free-fall slingshot), 3) either wat you're not ever using GR - the space-time is a flat Minkowski space-time.

Here's a good writeup on the subject:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 25, 2016, 09:22:30 am »

That's why a lot of pages ago I suggested the only practical way to travel to other stars with foreseeable/feasible technology is dramatically extend our life span or send really advanced robots.

If we could live 200 or 300 years or more then a 50 years travel wouldn't be as much burden, because despite still being an awful chunk of someone's life it wouldn't be ALL of it. Someone preparing 50/100 years for such mission, going there and back using 100 years and then living here as an hero for yet another 50/100 years doesn't so bad in comparison to traveling there to die.

Of course all this are conjectures and then there's the issue of how to extend human life two or three fold, if it's even possible at all. Just that I think it could be sightly more probable that finding a way to build a feasible warp engine or something.

The other option would be triggering really extensive hibernation on humans. Sleeper ships.

On colonies I already stated my mandate, to the moon first! Hehehe... I think the moon if far more easy for a number of reasons. Relative closeness to Earth, "easy" colony setup by remote controlled machines, virtually no communication lag (I get more lag on whatsapp phone calls than what theoretically a radio call would get to the moon).

But first things first. All those people whinging about "nuking space", "nuclear contamination of space" and such, should be strapped on a rocked and exposed to the vacuum they "want to save and keep clean of radiation" (yes I heard that first hand) and then the survivors rounded to work as indentured workers on uranium mines....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:30:18 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:59 am »

If we accelerate enough, though we could bring down the travel time to any amount, even under 4 years perhaps.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 25, 2016, 10:26:09 am »

If we accelerate enough, though we could bring down the travel time to any amount, even under 4 years perhaps.
That's what they did on Avatar I think, mixed with cryosleep or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 25, 2016, 11:19:24 am »

The twin paradox has nothing to do with GR or acceleration - it's a purely SR effect. You get different elapsed proper time because of different paths through space-time between the same pair of events.
I... the different paths through spacetime as a result of the accelerating frame mean it isn't a paradox anymore, if you both start at event a and travel to event b except one twin has a longer spatial component to their journey then they must have a shorter temporal component, otherwise they aren't meeting at the same events.
It's true that in a typical twin paradox scenario an outbound twin must reverse her velocity to get back home, but: 1) the acceleration is not what causes differential ageing 2) you can construct the scenario without acceleration at all (e.g. by using a closed space, or a free-fall slingshot), 3) either wat you're not ever using GR - the space-time is a flat Minkowski space-time.

Here's a good writeup on the subject:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html
I am extremely well versed in the workings of SR and GR, and have already read everything on Baez's site actually.

Yes, you can work through it all in SR if you want, and even construct a scenario and try to eliminate the obvious ways which GR hops in and clears everything up. We aren't in a rotating cylinder universe and the slingshot is clever, but basically boils down to making sure you keep your eyes shut and shout "LA LA LA LA, I'M NOT SWINGING PAST A STAR, I'M SITTING TOTALLY STILL AS THE UNIVERSE AND MY TWIN HURTLES AROUND ME ALONG IMPROBABLE TRAJECTORIES, DOOT DOOT DOOT" doesn't it?

Draw a spacetime diagram, look at how silly this all is, go drink a beer with your twin instead.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:47 am »

I am extremely well versed in the workings of SR and GR
::)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 25, 2016, 02:10:16 pm »

Just saying, I'm not someone you need to explain the twin paradox or whatnot for, especially when you are just agreeing with me in a roundabout fashion.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 233