Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 233

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 346790 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1455 on: December 22, 2015, 06:31:28 pm »

I too have walked beneath KSC's suspended Saturn V. It's awe-inspiring.

Fun fact, the Saturn V is still considered the strongest contender for the most complex distinct machine built by humans, ever.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 22, 2015, 06:56:04 pm »

Musk planned from the start to eventually be able to land and reuse his rockets, I'm fairly sure.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 22, 2015, 08:03:33 pm »

Musk planned from the start to eventually be able to land and reuse his rockets, I'm fairly sure.
...and all from his extinct volcano crater base in Japan!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 22, 2015, 10:18:22 pm »

He certainly seems to be a pretty great guy, especially by the standards of the very rich.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 22, 2015, 10:18:51 pm »

Indeed...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 22, 2015, 10:27:22 pm »

Of course, by those standards, most of everybody I know would be a pretty good guy.

No offense to the less-evil members of the obscenely wealthy minority. :P
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 23, 2015, 12:20:18 am »

Eh, from what I've read, he has issues with anyone who works for him that gives anything less than their very best. Not necessarily unreasonable, but some people just want a job, not a calling where they sacrifice all their time on it.

Alternately, they were just legitimately slacking off, and he was having none of that.

More to the point, it not only landed on the pad, but it actually landed on the X. Which is even more impressive, because that means that in principle it should have been able to land on the Just Read the Instructions or the Of Course I Still Love You.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 18, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

Awwww. close, but no cigar. Don't buy cigars at the triXter's shop, they go boom.

https://youtu.be/7VL0XKBs7fo
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 18, 2016, 09:15:27 am »

Huh, looks like one of the support legs just had some sort of critical structural failure. Its weird how it just bent like that, I mean, what are those things made of?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 18, 2016, 09:26:03 am »

indeed it had a failure. they suspect ice caused by the thick fog at launch.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:57 pm »

Yeah, apparently a latch failed. That said, according to Elon Musk, the pieces are bigger this time.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 20, 2016, 05:40:10 pm »

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 20, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »

Potential trans-neptunian Neptune.
Interesting.  I heard about it on the radio earlier.  They were calling it "Planet 9", thus sealing Pluto's non-planetary fate1...)

As touched in the news, Pluto was supposed to be the thing that explained various orbital anomalies, originally, before being fortuitously found despite not being the answer to the original question.  (Although it seems like there would have been any number of 'fortuitous Plutos', now, depending very much on which of a lot of similar objects had been found first due to the intensive searching.)

This maybe be a different question, of course, from the one that rustled up Pluto's existence.  But it sounds related to the whole "planetary migration" theory, in which Jupiter and Saturn formed elsewhere in the solar system.  i.e. They couldn't have formed in the place they were, because that isn't where the 'ice line' orbit that would have seeded their initial creations would have been.  And, if that's the case, the early-system tussle probably sent a fellow gas-giant out of the Sun's influence, now thought to be sent zooming across the galaxy...

Or maybe not quite, it seems the theory in this case is.  Which could be just trying to shape an existing theory to add grist to their own theoretical mill, but just because it's shoe-horned in doesn't mean it isn't worth considering.  (First let's work out if there is (or was, at the time) enough 'retarding gas' out there to prevent the potentially rogue planet from actually going rogue.)

1 Of course "Planet X" always had the connotations of "Planet 10 (in Roman Numerals)", for me... Rather than the intended "Planet 'Unknown'", just as X-Rays were coined that as "unknown rays", I'm fairly sure.   But when Pluto was #9, the tenth planet (whether that be beyond Neptune/Pluto or the hidden Earthly twin that just happened to be on the far side of the Sun, often for reasons of plot in various Sci-Fi representations...) was handily also labelled as "Planet X".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 20, 2016, 07:42:44 pm »

Interesting indeed. I expect the tin foil conspiracy drooling idiot guys to yell and flood the internet with those crazy conspiracy theories.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 233