Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 232

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 289927 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1260 on: October 18, 2015, 02:36:17 pm »

unfortunately, the ship would have to be extremely large to accomidate enough plants for one human so the idea of an indefinite escape pod is out of the question.
Exactly how large, again?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 18, 2015, 02:47:17 pm »

unfortunately, the ship would have to be extremely large to accomidate enough plants for one human so the idea of an indefinite escape pod is out of the question.

We know that one working one already exists (Hint: Look down.)
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1262 on: October 18, 2015, 02:48:21 pm »

Biosphere 2 was 204000 cubic metres and supported eight people, aside from the large number of unforeseen issues (many of which could now be dealt with). A similar structure as a spac evessel would probably have to be larger to compensate for increased difficulty losing heat and more complicated support restrictions.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 18, 2015, 02:49:52 pm »

Biosphere 2 was 204000 cubic metres and supported eight people, aside from the large number of unforeseen issues (many of which could now be dealt with). A similar structure as a spac evessel would probably have to be larger to compensate for increased difficulty losing heat and more complicated support restrictions.
Didn't they forget to add a certain fungus or something?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1264 on: October 18, 2015, 02:52:52 pm »

Not one of the significant issues IIRC, although there are far too many to mention here. The main one was soil bacteria going crazy and consuming all available oxygen, in terms of it as an experiment into space self-sufficiency.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 18, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »

The exact numbers depend a bit on how far you want to go from a light source. Here's the basic assumptions:
1) I'm going with the solar panel design, because it scales better at long distances form the sun then the direct plant design does, and captures all types of light a bit better. I'll be using a solar panel efficiency of 80% (which is about double our current best ones, but still well under the theoretical maximums of ~90-95%).
2) We're going to go out to pluto and back.
3) You're going to grow sugar cane, since it has the best caloric storage of about pretty much any edible plant. I hope you like sweet things.
With these assumptions each person is going to need to have about 150 m^2 of solar panels stretching out on the outside of your ship, and probably around a 10m x 15m x 20m square cube to actually grow their sugarcane in, based on the normal adult human energy consumption.

To put that in perspective, each human is going to need about a volleyball court's worth of solar panels, and 1.2 olympic sized swimming pools worth of space to grow their food/purify water/make air (though you might need additional space for more air/water purification, I haven't run the numbers on those aspects). That's on top of whatever space you actually need for the ship itself and any area for the person to live in.

Alternatively for interstellar distances you may want to go the hydrogen scoop method where each person would need about 437 m^2 (2.7 volleyball courts) worth of scoop on the front of your ship to harvest the hydrogen needed when traveling at solar escape velocity speeds; the main benefits being that while the amount of solar panels you need keeps increasing as you go farther from a star, the amount of hydrogen scoop area you need remains relatively constant no matter where you go in the milky way galaxy.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 18, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »

Alternatively for interstellar distances you may want to go the hydrogen scoop method where each person would need about 437 m^2 (2.7 volleyball courts) worth of scoop on the front of your ship to harvest the hydrogen needed when traveling at solar escape velocity speeds; the main benefits being that while the amount of solar panels you need keeps increasing as you go farther from a star, the amount of hydrogen scoop area you need remains relatively constant no matter where you go in the milky way galaxy.
Well, give or take.  We're sitting in the middle of the Local Bubble, unfortunately, which is around 300 l.y. of interstellar void at around a tenth of the average hydrogen density of the Milky Way as a whole.  We're really lucky in that we just happen to be in the middle of a slightly denser area (relative to the Local Bubble, at least) that happens to abut another such dense area (again, relatively speaking), but it does mean that anything that ends up going to, say, Sirius or Procyon is going to need to deal with a drop in local hydrogen density of anywhere from 50% to 80%, give or take.  I'm not exactly well-read on the latest material, however, so I'm a little curious how they manage allowing for a constant hydrogen scoop area under such wildly fluctuating densities.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: October 18, 2015, 06:04:19 pm »

The exact numbers depend a bit on how far you want to go from a light source. Here's the basic assumptions:
1) I'm going with the solar panel design, because it scales better at long distances form the sun then the direct plant design does, and captures all types of light a bit better. I'll be using a solar panel efficiency of 80% (which is about double our current best ones, but still well under the theoretical maximums of ~90-95%).
2) We're going to go out to pluto and back.
3) You're going to grow sugar cane, since it has the best caloric storage of about pretty much any edible plant. I hope you like sweet things.
With these assumptions each person is going to need to have about 150 m^2 of solar panels stretching out on the outside of your ship, and probably around a 10m x 15m x 20m square cube to actually grow their sugarcane in, based on the normal adult human energy consumption.

To put that in perspective, each human is going to need about a volleyball court's worth of solar panels, and 1.2 olympic sized swimming pools worth of space to grow their food/purify water/make air (though you might need additional space for more air/water purification, I haven't run the numbers on those aspects). That's on top of whatever space you actually need for the ship itself and any area for the person to live in.

What if you used something like algae? Would that decrease space needed?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 18, 2015, 06:18:06 pm »

Now, why bother with all these complicated biological processes when you could just upload your mind to a computer and live purely  off of solar panels?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 18, 2015, 06:20:10 pm »

Now, why bother with all these complicated biological processes when you could just upload your mind to a computer and live purely  off of solar panels?
Probably because we have yet to figure out the whole "brain uploading" thing, whereas we've made a bit more progress on the whole "closed-cycle ecosystem" thing.  Not much more, but a bit more by comparison. 

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: October 18, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

No, I think we've made a lot more progress on the closed-cycle ecosystem than we have brain uploading.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: October 18, 2015, 07:17:04 pm »

There's also the issue that brain-uploading is not likely to use less actual energy than a brain, for quite some time even if you could do that.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/163051-simulating-1-second-of-human-brain-activity-takes-82944-processors

The K-supercomputer with 82,944 processors modeled a brain of about 2% of the size of a human brain. It took 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of brain activity. While that's kinda impressive that we can even do that, it's clearly not up to scale for uploading peoples' brains to save energy.

Assuming the brain scales up linearly (which is being generous) that's 50 x 2400 = 120000 times less powerful than a human brain. The K computer is about 10 petaflops. So to model a whole human brain in real-time with this level of tech would need about a 1 million petaflop processor. The most efficient supercomputer gets about 2 teraflops / KW, so you'd be looking at energy consumption of 500 gigawatts. Which 5 billion times more than the energy consumed by an average human's body.

To make brain uploading viable, the energy requirements for running the simulated brain must basically fall below 100 watts for 1 million petaflops of processing. That might not be possible with silicon / von Neumann architecture. In either case, improved computing tech would be competing with other ways of providing for space travellers, which will also be improving technology, pushing further out the point at which brain uploading is the viable alternative.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 07:26:00 pm by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: October 18, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »

Assuming the brain scales up linearly (which is being generous)

that is probably the most generous estimate i've ever seen for such a thing

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 18, 2015, 07:50:03 pm »

There's also the issue that brain-uploading is not likely to use less actual energy than a brain, for quite some time even if you could do that.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/163051-simulating-1-second-of-human-brain-activity-takes-82944-processors

The K-supercomputer with 82,944 processors modeled a brain of about 2% of the size of a human brain. It took 40 minutes to simulate 1 second of brain activity. While that's kinda impressive that we can even do that, it's clearly not up to scale for uploading peoples' brains to save energy.

Assuming the brain scales up linearly (which is being generous) that's 50 x 2400 = 120000 times less powerful than a human brain. The K computer is about 10 petaflops. So to model a whole human brain in real-time with this level of tech would need about a 1 million petaflop processor. The most efficient supercomputer gets about 2 teraflops / KW, so you'd be looking at energy consumption of 500 gigawatts. Which 5 billion times more than the energy consumed by an average human's body.

To make brain uploading viable, the energy requirements for running the simulated brain must basically fall below 100 watts for 1 million petaflops of processing. That might not be possible with silicon / von Neumann architecture. In either case, improved computing tech would be competing with other ways of providing for space travellers, which will also be improving technology, pushing further out the point at which brain uploading is the viable alternative.
Yeah, the brain is one of the most complex and amazing things. Maybe in the future we could build our own and have organic computers that use the same system that our brain uses. That would be pretty cool.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: October 18, 2015, 08:00:44 pm »

What if you used something like algae? Would that decrease space needed?
As best as I can tell sugar cane is still the best option for photosynthetic efficiency (3-4x more than most competitors), so I don't believe so.

Honestly I think one of the big advantages of brain uploading would be the ability to slow yourself down to limit energy consumption, sort of a halfway mark between normal activity and total cryogenic stoppage. It would let you still react to things if they occurred, albeit at a slower processing level than normal. It would be like if suddenly time went into double speed for everything but you, you could still interact, but you might find it a bit difficult to process things when twice as much was happening in any given period of time.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 232