Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: Transhumanism Discussion Thread  (Read 53750 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Transhumanism Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2013, 05:19:45 pm »

I doubt these magnets would be strong enough to actually do that.
Contrary to popular belief your hard drive isn't doing to die if it comes within a foot of a small magnet. Normally you need to repeatedly wipe the magnet over it in the same direction.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2013, 05:24:40 pm »

No, but you can screw things up. Good luck using touch screens repeatedly before they become a mess of colors.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:15 pm »

Thats a good point, not sure how well phones would do...
Kind of a drawback for a technophile.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2013, 05:32:38 pm »

As I will mention for about the tenth time now, the neodymium implants are not strong enough to do that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2013, 05:55:36 pm »

We'll see.

I've heard about there being some magnetic bones in the human sinuses. Are those responsible for the tingly feeling you get between the eyebrows?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »

We'll see.
Considering the number of people who have gotten them, I think it probably would have come up by now if it were the case.
I've heard about there being some magnetic bones in the human sinuses. Are those responsible for the tingly feeling you get between the eyebrows?
Unknown. There was a study which claimed that people would give less accurate test results with a magnet strapped to their head, but it could not be reproduced. There isn't much research on this at all, and as far as I can tell it is vestigial.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2013, 06:08:24 pm »

Seriously, though, what causes the tingly thing when you put a pencil between your brows? I'm sure it must have something to do with magnetic fields, since I can feel it even with my eyes closed.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 07:15:34 pm »

That's not magnets. I think it's kinesthesia or something like that. The body knows the pencil is there, and is reacting to it. Works with your fingers too. Try it.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2013, 07:20:12 pm »

Works better with sharp or narrow objects for some reason. And it can't be kinesthesia, because it works when someone else holds it up and my eyes are closed.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 07, 2013, 07:31:34 pm »

Seriously, though, what causes the tingly thing when you put a pencil between your brows?

All objects emit em radiation. The parietal eye is photosensitive.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

But human's don't have a parietal eye. And the pituitary gland seems a bit too far back to feel that kind of thing.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 07, 2013, 08:26:59 pm »

But human's don't have a parietal eye. And the pituitary gland seems a bit too far back to feel that kind of thing.

Well, let's put it this way. You've observed the effect. It's known that some creatures have an observable organ in that location that is light sensitive. That organ is associated with the pineal gland, which humans do have, and is also light sensitive. And there happens to be thousands of years of tradition stating that humans also have an organ at the brow between the eyes in the same location that the parietal organ exists in other creatures.

If you want a more-sciency-less-mystic way of looking at it, I suppose we could suggest that there may be evolutionary leftover circuitry in the brain connecting where a parietal organ would be to the pineal gland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland#Function

"The production of melatonin by the pineal gland is stimulated by darkness and inhibited by light.[20][21] Photosensitive cells in the retina detect light and directly signal the SCN, entraining its rhythm to the 24-hour cycle in nature. Fibers project from the SCN to the paraventricular nuclei (PVN), which relay the circadian signals to the spinal cord and out via the sympathetic system to superior cervical ganglia (SCG), and from there into the pineal gland."

Clearly light is getting to that gland somewhow, as it affects melatonin production. Wikipedia says it gets there through the retina. However, according to other research, it's not only the pineal gland that is light sensitive, but rather it's many regions:

"Their research localized the OPN3 protein - known as the light-sensitive photoreceptor protein - in all of the 18 evaluated areas of the brain. These brain areas include the core areas of serotonin and melatonin production and storage, which play key roles in mood, sleep and depression. The study shows that the human brain is sensitive to light also outside of the visual system.

"The human brain is broadly photosensitive. The photoreceptor proteins we found are known to take light stimulus and transfer it into neural signals. Channeling light directly to these brain areas via ear canal will generate a response in the photosensitive cells", commented Juuso Nissilä, Valkee co-founder and chief scientific officer."

So, yes. I'm making some assumptions and putting two and two together rather than quoting broadly accepted ideas. But you've observed the effect personally. How would you explain it? If many animals have a light sensitive organ in exactly that spot, and humans brains are light sensitive in many places...I don't think it's such a stretch to suggest that the human brain may also be sensitive in the same place that other creatures are, eve if we appear to not have the organ in that spot that they do.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:12 pm »

Well, there are two things I haven't tested (that I can think of)

1) testing it in perfect darkness

2) shaving the skin there.

It's entirely possible that the sensation could be due to fine hairs. Or some other tactile response.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »

@LB: That's... a load of bullshit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
No. There is no light that penetrates through several inches of skin, skull, and brain matter. Light doesn't "get there through the retina," you just happen to use your retina for, you know, sight. Which then sends signals through your nervous system. Nor is it even relevant, because it turns out your retina are inside your eyes. Which it has already been mentioned are closed.

Also, your "Other Research" is pretty roundly a steaming turd-pile, created by a company that sells lights for your ears to make you feel better. And no such study was ever actually published. http://www.earlightswindle.com/story.htm

Works better with sharp or narrow objects for some reason. And it can't be kinesthesia, because it works when someone else holds it up and my eyes are closed.
Still kinesthesia if your spatial sense has been informed that it is there. And overall, our brains are pretty good at staying informed about these things. Even if completely uninformed, it would still affect air currents, and temperature along with that. And if it's really close, it would start disturbing your facial hairs, which is very noticeable. Oh, and if you do test it, be sure it is blind at the very least, and preferably double blind. Because it could also be that it is simply the expectation of the effect itself which causes it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 08:59:54 pm by alway »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 08:53:40 pm »

It's just something I've always wondered about, and the only people who show up in google search with an explanation are mystic believers. I just can't find any mention of it in the usual science places.

If I had to guess, I'd go with eyebrow hairs.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46