Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Police Ociffers?  (Read 2247 times)

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
Police Ociffers?
« on: October 24, 2013, 09:31:29 pm »

So, I noticed a glitch. When I seduced a police officer, I renamed her "Police Ociffer" as a personal joke, but now all of the police officers in the game are called "Police Ociffer."
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
Re: Police Ociffers?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:21:25 am »

That's hilarious

FinetalPies

• Bay Watcher
  • Even on the battlefield.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:26:33 am »

Dang, I was not able to recreate this glitch.

I tried bringing the officer on as a sleeper, then an active member, and also got another one to be an active member right away.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:43:12 am »

Ok, nevermind, turns out my eyes were just messing up, sorry about that.

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »

This is a cool bug, it's too bad it isn't a real bug. Maybe we should add this bug to the game. Just kidding.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:31:41 pm »

How hard would this sort of thing be to implement? Rename something, and have all entities of that type hold that name but only for that particular game. Can't see any possible uses for it, but it's an interesting thought.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:45:40 pm »

How hard would this sort of thing be to implement? Rename something, and have all entities of that type hold that name but only for that particular game. Can't see any possible uses for it, but it's an interesting thought.

You could try modding your creatures.xml file in the art directory. This creatures.xml feature is available in the latest SVN revisions, it was added by Carlos Gustavos, it's pretty cool if ya ask me. SVN revisions 732 and newer have it (currently the SVN revision is 739). Anyway in these newer revisions, there's a creatures.xml file, in your art directory, and you can edit it and you could really rename Police Officers to Police Ociffers if you want by editing the XML file. Actually that wouldn't change their name when you encounter them, as the encounter name for Police Officers is hardcoded (which it explains in the creatures.xml file), but it would change their title after you recruit them. Most creature types don't have their encounter names hardcoded. Police Officers are one of the special cases.

Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »

Re the creatures.xml: If I add a new creature, where do I add it?  Assume it's needed for the Corp HQ and may or may not be guaranteed at a location in the place.

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:40 pm »

I assume all the other hardcoded ones are all other forms of police enforcement, the CCS, and the president and CEO.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 07:26:12 pm »

Re the creatures.xml: If I add a new creature, where do I add it?  Assume it's needed for the Corp HQ and may or may not be guaranteed at a location in the place.

Currently you can't add new creatures in the creatures.xml file yet, you can only edit and mod existing ones... at least I think that's how it works. The reason is there's SOOO many places in the source code where various creatures are hardcoded in, and I highly doubt Carlos Gustavos un-hardcoded ALL of them, he just un-harcoded enough of them to make the existing creatures moddable. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I'm pretty sure. For instance, one thing that I think is hardcoded is the lists of which creatures you encounter at which locations, and the probabilities of them. The encounter probabilities actually differ depending on factors such as whether folks at the site are alarmed or not, whether or not there's a Conservative response such as the police showing up, whether or not the site has high security, which area of the site you are in, etc. For instance, the downtown apartments get Guard Dogs when there is high security, but only in the hallways, not in the apartments themselves. Just one of many many things that are hardcoded in the source code.

Technically though I think you CAN add new creatures to the creatures.xml file. The only problem is, you'll never encounter any of the ones you add. So even though the game probably will load the whole XML file including any new creatures you add, the fact that none of the creatures are spawned anywhere, well that will be a problem, make it impossible for you to encounter any of the creatures you try adding.

Anyway, we'll treat this as a feature request, to request the ability to modify which creatures spawn at each location in an XML file, so that people can mod that part of the game too. Not sure whether it belongs in the creatures.xml file or a different one, like an XML file about the locations, or one specifically just about which creatures spawn at which locations. I would lean towards having it in a different file from creatures.xml, because this would make it easier to preserve the logic of the source code (where different creatures have different probabilities). Having it in the creatures.xml file WOULD work if the spawning logic were much much simpler, then each creature could have a list of possible spawn locations. But because of the probabilities and because of different statuses for a location like security level (low security or high security) and Conservative alarm/response level and whether or not you're in an area where the public isn't allowed and a disguise is needed, well these complicate things, and so the spawn logic is done separately for each location, rather than for each creature, making it most logical to put it in an XML file about the locations. And it would probably make the most sense to have a separate file in the art directory entirely devoted to the purpose of spawn locations, because it is complicated enough to belong in its own separate XML file rather than one of the existing ones.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 11:56:40 pm »

Well, good thing I have a compiler.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 08:21:13 am »

Yes, if you add new creatures to the xml file they won't be used by the game. It will get done, sometime.