Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death  (Read 84904 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: River of Death
« Reply #420 on: October 25, 2013, 01:44:18 pm »

Hands up anybody who occasionally takes more than 4 minutes to get dressed in clothes in the morning.

Nobody?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »

Not since that day I couldn't find a clean pair of pants. Actually, that probably didn't take more than three now that I think about it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 25, 2013, 01:46:38 pm »

True enough.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:23 pm »

...What's true enough?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 25, 2013, 01:54:28 pm »

Hands up anybody who occasionally takes more than 4 minutes to get dressed in clothes in the morning.

Nobody?
This.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 25, 2013, 02:06:32 pm »

They can be square.

Also, I think it's dumb that Full Plate offers 0 protection from spells. Sure, Lightning Bolt will go straight through, depending on material, but a Fireball's effects will be severely dampened, and anything to do with draining life force should really have to make contact with skin...also, kinda silly that if a ray of frost hits my shield, it does as much damage as if the same ray hitting the barbarian in arm. >.> Just sayin'. Speaking of which, even as much as Ray of Frost hitting Chain Shirt vs. Scale Mail. Though part of this comes from me thinking armor should give small amounts of DR, too(different amounts against different things, depending on armor of course; Chainmail might have DR 4/bludgeoning or piercing, DR 1/slashing, and Energy Resistance 2 to cold, and 1 to acid and fire, while Cloth might have DR 1/slashing or piercing and Energy Resistance 4 to cold, 1 to acid and lightning, and then again on the other end of the spectrum, Full Plate might have DR 6/bludgeoning or piercing, DR 3/slashing or piercing, and DR 2/bludgeoning or slashing, with ER 7 to cold, 4 to fire and acid, and 1 to sonic.

Of course, that's probably wildly unbalanced, but AC bonuses would probably be lowered, fairly significantly. Shields might have their AC bonus boosted to 'compensate'. Still think shield bonus to AC should be part of touch, though.

Note that I expect none of this. Just me ranting.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 25, 2013, 02:12:03 pm »

They can be square.

Also, I think it's dumb that Full Plate offers 0 protection from spells. Sure, Lightning Bolt will go straight through, depending on material, but a Fireball's effects will be severely dampened, and anything to do with draining life force should really have to make contact with skin...also, kinda silly that if a ray of frost hits my shield, it does as much damage as if the same ray hitting the barbarian in arm. >.> Just sayin'. Speaking of which, even as much as Ray of Frost hitting Chain Shirt vs. Scale Mail. Though part of this comes from me thinking armor should give small amounts of DR, too(different amounts against different things, depending on armor of course; Chainmail might have DR 4/bludgeoning or piercing, DR 1/slashing, and Energy Resistance 2 to cold, and 1 to acid and fire, while Cloth might have DR 1/slashing or piercing and Energy Resistance 4 to cold, 1 to acid and lightning, and then again on the other end of the spectrum, Full Plate might have DR 6/bludgeoning or piercing, DR 3/slashing or piercing, and DR 2/bludgeoning or slashing, with ER 7 to cold, 4 to fire and acid, and 1 to sonic.

Of course, that's probably wildly unbalanced, but AC bonuses would probably be lowered, fairly significantly. Shields might have their AC bonus boosted to 'compensate'. Still think shield bonus to AC should be part of touch, though.

Note that I expect none of this. Just me ranting.

You're describing, to a point, how GURPS works.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 25, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »

In my humble opinion, most of full plate's defensive bonus should be from deflecting or blocking attacks, whereas chainmail, leather, and the like would be more from reducing damage.

And GURP's complete lack of simulation about how blows are deflected from armor bugs me just a bit, given how devoted to realism it is.
Sig

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 25, 2013, 02:29:50 pm »

In my humble opinion, most of full plate's defensive bonus should be from deflecting or blocking attacks, whereas chainmail, leather, and the like would be more from reducing damage.

And GURP's complete lack of simulation about how blows are deflected from armor bugs me just a bit, given how devoted to realism it is.
You're supposed to wear leather/cloth armour underneath any of the hardier types; the shock from being hit without those would severely reduce the effectiveness of heavy armour.

Also, my understanding is that's exactly what the GURP's system means with its damage reduction.  The blows are deflected for the most part, therefore no damage.  Your skill at using your armour can make it so your opponents' attacks won't hit accurately enough to do anything, but if your skill is insufficient, part of the damage is deflected anyway.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 25, 2013, 02:35:49 pm »

I think that, because 3E uses Reflex saves for that kind of spell, it's an issue of whether you're in the area or out of it. If you're in you suffer full damage, if you dodge you suffer less or none. Whether you wear armor is inconsequential. Armor can only hold you down from dodging (although I can't recall if nonproficient armor wearers suffer a Reflex save penalty - probably not).

Anyway, I think that says something about the nature of these threats in the game setting. It's not that the spell hits hard, it's that the spell is magical. You're not resisting it by being tough, you're resisting by dodging. A spell that required a Fort save wouldn't quite be right either, because that's based on your ability to shrug off damage that hits you rather than deflection or absorption by the armor material. Armor only protects against a specific class of spells that require an attack roll (but not a touch attack roll).

Are there any of those?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 25, 2013, 02:39:19 pm »

The thing is, we're imagining these spells as conjuring actual fire/ice/whatever rather than being quasiethereal projectiles that cause damage to living things. (Well, except Magic Missile.)

And, AFAIK, no.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »

But what I'm saying is that that's silly. Especially for magic armor. Non-magical might make sense, the magic gets to ignore the non-magic. But once any magic at all gets put on the armor? Eh...less sense.

Also, I think it's silly that you get better at hitting as you level up, but unless you're a monk you don't get better and avoiding getting hit; your protective gear gets better, sure, but you don't become skilled at deflecting blows or anything.

I think there are a couple. Kinda gimmicky, though, if I remember right.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 25, 2013, 02:41:56 pm »

I think any solution would either be too far-reaching in what spells it covers, be too vague and require DM ruling constantly, or require an additional notation on each spell. Any ideas that get around these problems?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 25, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »

"Armor: Yes/No".

Like Spell Resistance, Save, etc. Heck, less complex than Saves.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 25, 2013, 03:12:27 pm »

Even better; have damage resistance and some energy resistance on all armor, have spells usually affected by it, with some saying they bypass it(which would need DM ruling, but that's not terrible) and a metamagic feat that lets you have a spell ignore armor. It's just that a fireball is going to have difficulty finding it's way through enough cracks and joints and such to do full damage to someone in full plate, since it's just flame, not pressure, and lasts for a split second.

But yeah, like GWG said. Except I think it should be about as complex as saves. There'd be spells that would be affected more or less by armor, after all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 58