Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Romans and Barbarians - (Interest check of a Republic of Rome like game idea)  (Read 1539 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I've been pondering the boardgame Republic of Rome lately and have been thinking about doing something similar, but set around the fall of the western empire rather then it's rise.  The game would start in the years 405-410 AD when the empire is on the verge of chaos.  In Rome the weak child Honorius rules but the real power is with the barbarian magister militum, Stilicho who is living on borrowed time.  In Gaul barbarians stand poised to pour over the border.  In Britain Constantine III is about to start another civil war.  Illyricum is under the control of barbarians who are about to pour into Italy and sack Rome for the first time in seven centuries.  This is the choatic situation things start in.  From here the players proceed controlling both powerful roman nobles and the barbarian leaders who are mobalized against the empire.

On the one hand every player would control a faction of Roman nobles like in the Republic of Rome board game.  These characters have three stats representing their esteem with aristocrats, roman soldiers and barbarians (foederati).  Through these characters, players attempt to control the key offices of the empire, governor of the provinces, magistar militum and the imperial throne.  With many weak emperors there will often be powers behind the throne but a strong emperor could arise like Majorian if he is able to secure supporters to consolidate his rule.  If you don't like the emperor then you can arrange for a coup against him with the support of the aristocrats or march against him from a governorship with support of roman or barbarian soldiers.  Or maybe you will even have time to try to strengthen the state, retaking lost territories or trying to repair the damages of the war.

On the other side of things players also control barbarian leaders and work to carve out new lands.  This is possible by direct invasion and capture of Roman lands, but it is also possible to go with a diplomatic route, like the Visigoths took when they accepted foederati status and resettled Aquitaine.  Or you can just pillage anything in sight like Huns for immediate glory (and to undermine the power base of your fellow players).  Control of a barbarian nation can be lost when a leader dies or is usurped, so it will take care to get the most out of this unpredictable resource.

The game ends when 20 turns have passed, representing a century of time.  Over the course of the game the players accumulate two separate scores, tallying their accomplishments as Romans and as barbarians.  Depending on the state of the fate of the empire, these scores will be of different value.  If Rome is fallen you are judged solely on your score as a barbarian and for anyone to have won they will need to have built a mighty kingdom and acquired much plunder.  If the empire is somehow intact after a century (unlikely) then players are judged solely on how much they accomplished as Romans.  If the empire has lost territory but still controls Italy when 20 turns have ended, then both scores will matter.  It will be possible for no one to have enough score to count as a winner and it will be at least somewhat possible for two players to have enough score to be winners.

So, post here if you think the idea shows promise.  I imagine that this isn't a period of history that people are the most familiar with, but I personally think it's a very interesting time period and would make for a very good forum game.  I don't intend for knowledge of the history to be necessary to play this, the rules should guide you to understand what the mindset of the era should be.  Any takers?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Gervassen

• Bay Watcher
  • Be aggressive.
    • View Profile

It's an interesting era, no doubt. I'd be interested in barbarian.
The way's paved with knaves that I've horribly slain.
See me coming, better run for them hills.
Listen up now...

-- Babycakes

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It's an interesting era, no doubt. I'd be interested in barbarian.

Players wouldn't be just Roman or Barbarian, you'd have characters in both camps at the same time.  This is supposed to recreate the very chaotic and shifting nature of loyalties during the time period.  So as a player you might simultaneously control a barbarian king and two or three roman politicians.  This gives you the chance to weigh different options. 

Suppose as Octar, king of the Huns, you could choose to invade Gaul while the new underage Roman emperor can't respond.  You could invade and try to grab territory and plunder or maybe you use that possibility to blackmail the player controlling the weak emperor.  With blackmail you can get one of your Romans, Flavius Aetius, made magister militum of the emperor and be the power behind the throne of Rome.  So you are left with two very different paths there, do you invade or do you cut a deal with Rome?  Of course if you get Flavius Aetius the job, then suddenly defending rome is your responsibility and the other players will try to mess you up by invading rome with their barbarian kings.  So as a result you have two options available to you and need to weigh carefully what to do.  But eventually Octar dies and the new king of the huns, Atila, is controlled by another player and he decides that it's time for the Huns to invade and destroy everything, hurting your score because Flavius Aetius needs to stop that invasion.  By making it so you have a stake in various camps, you need to keep reassessing your options.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:38:34 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile

How often will turns run? I'm interested, but my schedule is nuts right now and I can go from having all the free time in the world to vanishing for days on end in a heartbeat until the semester ends.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

How often will turns run? I'm interested, but my schedule is nuts right now and I can go from having all the free time in the world to vanishing for days on end in a heartbeat until the semester ends.

I'm aiming for a turn every two or three days but am planning to schedule things so players only really need to post a single order during that time unless they are current controller of the western empire.  But cutting deals with your other players is something that it will be hard to prosper for long without doing.  This is supposed to be a forum game, I don't expect people to be able to post constantly.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

It's a neat idea, but I'd have to see the implementation.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

It's a neat idea, but I'd have to see the implementation.

Well the rules aren't done yet, but here's what I've been writing so far to give you an idea:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Interesting, but I'm way to trusting/nice for this kind of games.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Interesting, but I'm way to trusting/nice for this kind of games.

Then you should definitely play, people will love you!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]