Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2013- It Ends!  (Read 43583 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo 2013
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2013, 12:43:13 pm »

Hold on. You guys actually work out the things you're writing on before you start writing?

It beats the hell outta wasting time during the deadline guessing what should go somewhere to bloat wordcount.

I've actually not heard of a serious fiction writer who didn't have some kind of pre-write organization.

Last year I didn't, and while I didn't win I did end up with stuff that I liked. Then again, I've never been accused of being a serious fiction writer.

My ratio of time spent plotting/worldbuilding/characterbuilding to writing is something like 725:1.

Similarly, my ratio of time spent editing/proofreading/nitpicking/mentally falling apart at the seams because that sentence is WRONG and I don't know how to make it RIGHT to writing is something like 3,720:1.

If you figure out where those ratios are from without google, good on ya.

Of course, half the point of NaNo is to try and override that "perfect the first time" instinct and just vomit content for a month. If you like it in general, you can go back and edit things to sound less like garbage. If you edit as you go, progress is painfully slow, especially if you have to rewrite down the road.

Not even google helped me.

Which of these do you recommend?

A very young supergenius in an otherwise entirely mundane world, trying to make real life more like a comic book. Mad science trying to create heroes/villains, eventually tries clumsy manipulation of sociopolitics. His unwitting older cousin is the protagonist and 3rd person POV focus.

OR

A travelling jester, serving at many courts, tries to spread his idealistic pacifism.

Supergenius! The other one sounds interesting too, if you can pull it off, but the former sounds like it is both easier and further developed.

Oh my one week till NaNo aw shiiiiii

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 01:54:43 pm »

So, last night I decided to a stream of consciousness exercise because I was that desperate for ideas, and I accidentally a semi-coherent story:

Spoiler: "Thus The" (click to show/hide)
The "Green felt" sentence was one last stab at true stream of consciousness, but it failed immediately after.

Writing this poem-ish thing taught me something about what kind of story I should write. I may prefer to think of stories involving overarching plots and themes and organizations, but I care too much about my conspiratorial organizations to just use them without considering how the story I would write factors in to everything. So I don't want to end up spending weeks trying to work out not only a full plot involving such organizations (because I need to know ahead of time what effects that plot will have on it), but then also working out the future of the organization after the fact.

It seems I'd be better suited towards a Douglas Adams/Terry Pratchett-y type novel. That is to say, very light and humorous, without sacrificing the story.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2013, 11:18:59 pm »

I... I've fallen to the dark side. I've been plotting and worldbuilding for a few days, and I started writing in earnest tonight. Not an original work, no, something far more fell.

I'm writing a Naruto fanfiction spoofing the canon, most of the common predilections in fanon, working in an M. Night Shyamalan-worthy crossover, and reconstructing the whole damned thing to actually be a (hopefully) interesting mix of political drama, gag comedy, Lovecraftian horror, and continually self-subverting fighting that teeters from grimdark wankery to nearly-as-stupid-as-canon shonen antics. God, the meta is stronk in this one. I mean, I bloody hate the actual work. I hate the fanbase. I hate about 98% of the stories. That's the problem, though, isn't it? There's that untapped potential created by a good idea that's been buried in the ground like a suplexed train mixed with the chance to poke fun at a bunch of wankers (both literal and British), and it calls to me like some sort of addictive, toxic metaphor.

If anyone wants a taste of the horror, I'll post or PM snippets. I finally bother writing something again and this is what I do? I think I must secretly hate myself. XD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2013, 08:53:15 am »

If anyone wants a taste of the horror, I'll post or PM snippets. I finally bother writing something again and this is what I do? I think I must secretly hate myself. XD

Please do. That sounds amazing.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2013, 11:06:10 pm »

I'll be participating if I can, and also posting to watch.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2013, 11:42:33 pm »

If you look at my novel, you'll see what I think my story is basically going to be. I think I found a good middle with this idea: I have enough ideas of things that I want to see happen where I can weave them together and see how the stories continues, but not some much figured out that I really care about the ramifications the story has on its participants :) .
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2013, 12:29:10 am »

So i was stuck on a few things and ran across a resource list my ML posted on the nanowrimo site. Have a look at
The Snowflake Method of planning.
It got me out of a slump, because although it was similar to what I did, I never really went far enough with it before.

@Lue: Sounds very Hitchhiker's guide. I approve.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:31 am »

4 days until NaNo... uh oh...

How are you guys preparing?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2013, 09:06:29 am »

I think it might be about time to start planning.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:36 am »

What is this "planning" you speak of?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2013, 10:10:04 am »

10 single-spaced pages of character/plot/setting data so when November comes all I have to do is write on the notes I've done ahead of time. Most of my hard work is already done.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:17 pm »

By not thinking about it now that I have a story idea to jump from :) . Trying to keep a sustained interest in NaNo for the entire month is already going to be interesting, no sense making it worse by starting early.

(Besides, I'm more eager to write than plan, so there's another reason to wait.)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2013, 02:34:01 pm »

I'm writing a plot and a load of basic character bios for everyone important. There is a lot of colour coding.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2013, 02:36:36 pm »

Attempting to suppress the urge to start writing already.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »

Attempting to suppress the urge to start writing already.
Are you me?
It's a definite possibility.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32