Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-In Question  (Read 961 times)

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-In Question
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »

A forgotten beast is in the middle of a large, cavern lake. It's in the middle of a 7/7 water tile and everything around it is also 7/7 water tiles. It can't move, although it appears that inorganic forgotten beasts can't drown either. So, yeah, I know that forgotten beasts can step across z-levels, so I was thinking of caving in, not the level directly above it, but the level two z-levels above it. If I mine out all the rock underneath the cave-in area, will it still crash through the floor below and crush the beast? Or will it just stop at a single z-level?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-In Question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:41:42 pm »

it only stops when it hits a wall, it'll punch through any floor. FB can swim too, iirc, so it may choose to move at some point
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:49:16 pm »

A forgotten beast made of diamond can swim.....because DWARF LOGIC!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »

A forgotten beast made of diamond can swim.....because DWARF LOGIC!

Maybe it's just really porous.

By the way, it's not just inorganic FBs that don't drown.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:15:48 pm »

It's not really swimming so much as it's walking along the bottom of the cavern lake.

Unless it's multiple levels deep and it isn't at the very bottom level, in which case it actually is swimming, somehow.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »

It's that big, huh? Pfft, stupid thing won't let me get my water. I need that water for irrigation. My dwarves are getting tired of plump helmets and dwarven wine.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:14:58 am »

It's that big, huh? Pfft, stupid thing won't let me get my water. I need that water for irrigation. My dwarves are getting tired of plump helmets and dwarven wine.

... if you can grow plump helmets, you can also grow all other crops.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:37:34 am »

maybe he wants bigger or more farms
Don't you have any surface water?

as a sidenote, just in case, if you have underground soil layers you don't need to irrigate
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 11:43:14 am »

I only have murky pools on the surface. I'm currently siphoning the water out of two, large, murky pools, and then purifying it with a screw-pump. It doesn't give me much water, but it gives me enough for my dwarves to clean wounds, take baths, ect. I'm not wasting any more on irrigation until it rains again and fills up the pools.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 11:44:04 am »

... if you can grow plump helmets, you can also grow all other crops.

I only have a small farm plot. I need to grow all plump helmets to keep up food and booze production. That's why I need bigger farm plots.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:15 am »

I only have murky pools on the surface. I'm currently siphoning the water out of two, large, murky pools, and then purifying it with a screw-pump. It doesn't give me much water, but it gives me enough for my dwarves to clean wounds, take baths, ect. I'm not wasting any more on irrigation until it rains again and fills up the pools.
It only takes 1 bucket per tile one time only to irrigate a plot for farming. Then it lasts forever. And if you have any soil layers, then you don't even need to irrigate.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 12:01:11 pm »

yeah, we call it 'irrigation' but plants don't need water just soil.  Or mud on top of stone which we achieve by flooding one time only
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Khegit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 04:10:13 pm »

It only takes 1 bucket per tile one time only to irrigate a plot for farming. Then it lasts forever. And if you have any soil layers, then you don't even need to irrigate.

I know......I'm just saying, I still don't have enough water.