Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Super 80s Glam-Ninja Assault Squads of Doom! OOC and signups  (Read 4758 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Super 80s Glam-Ninja Assault Squads of Doom! OOC and signups
« on: October 15, 2013, 09:43:06 pm »

Super 80s Glam-Ninja Assault Squads of Doom!

Note:
This is the out of character and game signup thread for Super 80's Glam-Ninja Assault Squads of Doom.

The game thread is located here.

The setting
This game takes place in a cliche fantasy world of 80s ninja movies, in the United States and during the Glorious 80s! Al Gore hasn't invented the internet yet, nobody has cell phones or CD players, and video cameras are rare. A world where nobody knows the difference between Chinese and Japanese, all martial arts are either ninjutsu or karate because we all know Mr Miyagi but Jackie Chan hasn't made it to the states yet, and nobody thinks it odd that ninjas are white and have names like Bob Jackson.

Many tropes will be in play, such as Technicolor, and Highly Visible ninjas, Even native Japanese speakers will add an 's' to make ninja plural, and nobody will particularly vexxed if ninjas call their shuriken Chinese stars. Nunchaku are perfectly viable weapons, even for deflecting swords and machine gun fire, and beware the dreaded Conservation of Ninjutsu!

Rules may be subject to change if I missed anything completely stupid. Accepting 6 players (subject to approval) to start, possibly more later depending on workload. Rules are not complicated, but there kind of turned out to be a lot of them. Feel free to ask questions, but let's not let this thread be bogged down in twenty pages of rules clarifications for every possible contingency.

Spoiler: Ninja magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ninja store (click to show/hide)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super 80s Glam-Ninja Assault Squads of Doom! OOC and signups: (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:11 pm »

i am the NINJA TERMINATOR and i will get all three parts of the golden ninja warror and become the ULTIMATE NINJA!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: changed name.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:17:10 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:10:54 pm »

I'm gonna borrow this spot and let you know what I come up with, yeah?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:24:14 pm by FelixSparks »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:15 pm »

Oh dear.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:55 pm »

I will add an extra batch of tropes. To start!

Spoiler: Angelic Ninja (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:30:23 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:39:13 am »

You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:30:38 am »

Why does everyone have Combat 2?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:31 am »

If I had to hazard a guess, most people are putting the priority on combat, since I'm guessing a lot of that will happen.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 12:59:40 pm »

Because triffids in my case at least.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:01:06 pm »

If I had to hazard a guess, most people are putting the priority on combat, since I'm guessing a lot of that will happen.
Yes, but it makes it harder for Angel to be unusually strong and stuff. I had to drop my Combat Claw!
Which actually wasn't that terrible. +1 to damage for 2 points, versus +1 to damage AND attack for 3 points? Especially since I wasn't using that one point of Ninja Magic? But still.

*checks sheet*
...Do you mean "In case of triffids"?
Sig

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:51 pm »

*checks sheet*
...Do you mean "In case of triffids"?
I harvest triffids, you need to be fast and strong to have my lifestyle.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super 80s Glam-Ninja Assault Squads of Doom! OOC and signups: (3/6)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »

Ninja terminator

Character accepted.

Black Dragon

Couple things need clarification:

1) You spent 10 ninja bucks (possibly 11, see #2 below) so you wouldn't have 1 left over like your character submission states.

2) Your "knuckle dusters with blades" sound suspiciously similar to the combat claws listed in the store. Just need to know whether you intended those to be weapons that use the weapons rules, or unarmed combat enhancers, for which the math is slightly different. Either is ok, I just need to know which. Also, if you intended them to be unarmed combat enhancers rather than standalone weapons, the cost for one of them would be 2 ninjabucks rather than one for a weapon. I assume you intended this to be a weapon...but would like it clarified.

Angel Cato

Character rejected.

The Harvest Ninja

Character accepted.

Going to give it another day probably to fill out the remaining character slots, but will probably start tomorrow whether or not we fill. It's not a problem if people join later.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:34:48 pm »

Hmmm. I'll double check my math, and I guess I can change my weapon to something else if it'll make you feel better. But to clarify, do we need to purchase our first weapon? If so, I think that's where that extra ninja buck came from.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 08:20:34 pm »

I can change my weapon to something else if it'll make you feel better.

Weapon choice is fine, I just want to confirm whether you intended it to be a "weapon" or a "barehanded combat enhancer." They're handled differently.

The weapon that you described is functionally identical to an item that exists in the store that is not "a melee weapon." So...it's possible you intended to buy one of those and were just calling it something else to invoke 80s ninja movie silliness. For example, like Funk, who bought "ninja stars." What are ninja stars? They're listed in the store as "shuriken," because that's what they're really called, but he's calling them "ninja stars" ....because ninja.

And that's fine.

But I need it clarified whether you're doing that, in which case your claws cost 2 ninja bucks and give you a +1 damage bonus in combat but can't be used for ninja magic like the "deflect" ability which requires a weapon...or whether you're not doing that and you were simply intending to purchase a weapon, in which case your claws cost only 1 but don't give a damage bonus, and can be used with deflect.

do we need to purchase our first weapon? If so, I think
that's where that extra ninja buck came from.

If you don't purchase a weapon you can fight unarmed. If you want to have a weapon, it does need to be purchased.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

Then that is where I went wrong. I'll just change my weapon, get rid of that ninja buck, and all will be well!

Edit: Done and done!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:24:27 pm by FelixSparks »
Pages: [1] 2 3