Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22

Author Topic: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game  (Read 56897 times)

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steelhold - A Penal Colony Succession Game
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 07:05:15 am »

-Remains of a journal of a miner in the Highquake mines, dated est 2 years before Steelhold, author unknown-

Journal entry #732
8th Hematite

Even after 14 years of hard digging, we have not struck adamantine. Our mining expedition leader is extremely unpleased with the standards of work the miners produce these days thanks to the lack of booze. The mountain homes would not give us the luxury of a rest, so we are set to mining all day. We can be thankful that this year no one has gone insane, berserk, or melancholic. My wannabe detective friend, Firecrazy has just uncovered some sort of scheme to flood the mines with magma, and he is investigating it full time, skipping mining, which earned some angry visits from the head miner. Seriously, when shall he learn that dwarves are not meant to be detectives? This side hobby of his is slightly irritating me. General Earthgrowl is demanding so much iron for the royal army that our veins of hematite are going to be depleted soon.

Journal entry #733
9th Hematite

Another boring day. We got about a few hundred ores of iron, copper, and silver, but that is pretty much about it. Today, the doctor from the mountainhomes arrived to treat the poor dwarf that was injured by a cave in a few days ago. After looking at the state of everyone, he decided to stay here for a few weeks. On other news, Firecrazy found a piece of paper titled "Magma flooding plans". It seems to be a drawing of some complicated device that floods the fortress? Firecrazy is the only one in the fortress who has any skill with mechanics, so he is the only one that can understand the drawing. He has bought it to the head miner but he says that it is not "conclusive evidence and may be just a forgery". That is quite a pathetic excuse for just not wanting to move your lazy ass to investigate, but what can you do? Nobles are a lost cause.

Journal entry #734
10th Hematite

2 miners joined our cause, both are novice ranked, which is the lowest rank for a miner. Usually there would be a welcome celebration, but with the state of this place, the lack of food and booze, nope. No welcome celebration. Deal with it. Meanwhile, I spotted my detective friend Firecrazy was openly questioning people in the dining hall. Isn't that a little too obvious for a undercover investigation? "Er hey sorry to waste your time but do you know of any plot to flood the mines with magma? no? okay thanks". In fact, the head miner is starting to accuse HIM as the schemer, since he is the only one who can do mechanics in the fortress, thanks to his previous job of managing the complicated minecart stuff. Anyway, I doubt Firecrazy is the one planning to flood the fortress. How easy is it to just say "Oh, i don't know any mechanics, thank you." to the manager guy?

(The rest of the journal is burnt by the magma flood. The details are still unknown, but the official reason is stated to be Firecrazy. Who knows, he may be wrongly accused?)

OOC: Trying to get a bit of backstory for my dwarf in. I dunno.

Jovus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 07:06:41 am »

First journal Entry:

Steelhold. The name bears promise, as does the enterprise. I was impressed when I heard about this project of the Queen's. It seems even the most parochial of rulers sometimes bumbles hafl-blindly toward the light of the truth. What criminals need is not imprisonment - what they need is rehabilitation. All but the most vile of criminals is capable, under the right conditions, of becoming productive members of the true State.

Unfortunately, the Queen doesn't realize her true purpose with this colony, and seems to view it more as just a prison-away-from-prison. That's fine; it just means guidance is necessary. In some ways, this is an ideal place to institute true scientific government. After all, the Mountainhomes will see, if it can be done here, it can be done anywhere, and the benefits will shine out like a beacon of truth in this world of darkness.

Furthermore, dwarves have the premier advantage of all races in adopting the true scientific State. Our native industriousness makes us ideal citizens. Even, or I may say especially, those convicted of crimes against the old regime. Work is the soul of society, and work shall set you free.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2013, 12:19:53 am »

It's going to be interesting to see this fortress swing from a penal colony to an anarchy to a Leninist-state and then to a totalitarian Elf-state between turns.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2013, 03:23:23 pm »

Nothing really outstanding - like flood that took 60% population - happened. Moving slowly, trying to make sense of events. Probably will finish today/tomorrow
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:08 pm »

Wait, what?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:38 pm »

like flood that took 60% population

:o

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2013, 10:27:39 pm »

Tell me Modi is alive...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »

I believe he was exemplifying what he would consider outstanding, as opposed to something that actually happened.

EDIT: In addition, I trust that you have not forgotten to dwarf suitable inmates.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 11:16:20 pm by Gnorm »
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 03:09:47 pm »

Whew... Closing to the end. We suffered first casuality. Sadly, but Bomber is now with ancestors. Guards nearly managed to avenge him, but goblins, without few limbs, proved to be great runners.

By the way, this fort is maddening me. Seventy dwarves who do Armok knows what... I'm used to zombie environments and total efficiency. Heh... Anyway, it is interesting as hell. I may require few more hours to complete and put my thoughts, photos and everything else together.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2013, 04:21:11 pm »

Whew... Closing to the end. We suffered first casuality. Sadly, but Bomber is now with ancestors. Guards nearly managed to avenge him, but goblins, without few limbs, proved to be great runners.

By the way, this fort is maddening me. Seventy dwarves who do Armok knows what... I'm used to zombie environments and total efficiency. Heh... Anyway, it is interesting as hell. I may require few more hours to complete and put my thoughts, photos and everything else together.

sounds like you got some fat migrant waves

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 08:26:53 pm »

I think our kingdom's rife with crime.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »

I think our kingdom's rife with crime.

Or at least asking for it... I think a riot is in order!

Also, if I didn't ask already, I'll take a turn. I think this is one I got dwarfed but didn'task for a turn.

Also, did the miner flood the fortress or...?

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »

Posting as i wait to be dwarfed and see what's going on.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2013, 10:53:01 am »

Posting as i wait to be dwarfed and see what's going on.
Not much seems to be going on, Sarrak doesn't seem to have finished his turn and we're a few days over the time limit so I'm not sure what's going on now.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »

Sarrak's been granted a couple of extra days past the standard time limit, but if their turn isn't posted by the end of today, I'm going to have to skip them and give my Year 1 save to the next person on the list.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22