Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64551 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Camp Goblin - Worst Summer Camp Ever
« Reply #210 on: October 18, 2013, 04:31:29 pm »

Nah lets try to get in first and once they settle down to sleep we can try to read some.
+1

Light's failing; we're already very cold and likely to rapidly get very much colder.  We really have two choices I think - try to get in, or try to get a hidden camp set up immediately, with a significant pit for a pretty well concealed decently sized fire.  That's hard to pull off, and I'd rather we interact with them under 'our' terms rather than 'theirs', which is what will happen if their scouting parties (if any) or enemies (seems there's some) find us alone at our not-perfectly-hidden campsite. Then they get to decide how to interact with us -

If we approach, obviously and directly, playing the flute, not hiding at all, confident, calm, and interesting - we've got a real chance of setting the tone of the interaction and controlling what happens to us.  The way the trio of goblins interacted with us shows that 'kill on sight' is not the answer preferred between these beings towards our race and appearance.

If they'd fled on sight, I'd not try this.  But not only were they 'calmly surprised', they were calm enough to notice that one of them (the drinker with closed eyes) hadn't noticed us yet, and to make a point of getting his attention - and he too simply stared at us.

They're gullible, curious, interactive, and only a little cowardly - that makes this plan of direct, unusual, and non-threatening approach make a lot of sense and get my support.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:47 pm »

It will be "their terms" regardless, we need to show respect, be humble, confidence could be interpreted as not seeing them as our betters, as the one requesting something that is our default position, can't just play a tune then stroll in and ask for shelter. Plus that was just three of them, the higher ups would be more assertive, not to mention demand more respect. But yes, being somewhat confident would be best.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:51 pm »

You read a few passages from your copy of Black's and come up with some magical-sounding mumbo jumbo. You consider rigging the engraved lighter to explode, but it sounds kinda difficult.

You waffle between setting up a secret camp and asking for shelter from the goblins. In the end, the latter course prevails. You step from the tree-line and start walking slowly toward the woven wall.

You're not trying to be stealthy, but the big goblin tanner doesn't notice you. He's facing the other way grinding some noxious stuff with a big stone mortar and pestle on the ground. The goblins dragging the tree also don't notice you, because they're entering the opening. The guards in the opening are distracted by the commotion and only notice you at the last minute when you approach.

"HEY!" one shrieks. "Where did that guy come from?" One of the lumberjacks turns and spots you, freaks out, and drops the log to pull his axe. The others yelp and struggle to hold it up. One ducks just as the long saw strapped to someone's back swings around and misses him.

Another guard yells "INTRUUUUDERS! SPIIIIES!" The guards start loading their slings with round stones.

Farther into the compound you see dozens of log-cabin huts, some leaning against each other, some stacked, with bark-shingle roofs. Some goblins encased in metal plate armor with big kettle helmets come running out of a cabin, chickens flapping and scampering out of their way. They're headed toward a cluster of some kind of mounts: two-legged lizard things with rooster heads, tiny forelimbs, and plate armor breastplates and masks.

You also spot several dozen catapults in various stages of construction, some small and some big. They're grouped into several work areas. There's also a few huge piles of river rocks and boulders, separated by size.

The sky is dimming. Big flakes of snow drift down. You're very cold.

Spoiler: Inventory: 20/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 18, 2013, 05:50:36 pm »

Well shit, we've stumbled up on a war-camp boys. We definitely can't take this many guys in plate and we probably can't outrun those lizard monsters either, sooo...

Panic, start screaming that we're a friendly traveling bard, and that we surrender. Shout for Bork, Grep, and Vert. Maybe they'll help us. Put our hands up and act as non-threatening and pitiful as possible.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 18, 2013, 05:54:45 pm »

Well shit, we've stumbled up on a war-camp boys. We definitely can't take this many guys in plate and we probably can't outrun those lizard monsters either, sooo...

Panic, start screaming that we're a friendly traveling bard, and that we surrender. Shout for Bork, Grep, and Vert. Maybe they'll help us. Put our hands up and act as non-threatening and pitiful as possible.
+1, to yelling for Vert and co and acting non-threating, -1, to panicing, Vert and co told us about the attractions and we came to see them.
Edit: Plus if we don't panic, when we try any magic crap they might think that's why we are so confident, why would an exceeding powerful mage panic?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:00:38 pm by Cain12 »

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2013, 06:01:50 pm »

Ah, but the mind of a mage is a true mystery, who would they be to question us?  :P

I agree though, not panicing seems good in retrospect.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2013, 06:45:29 pm »

Also kneel down on your two knees in an epic cheesy kinda way saying with your raspy voice: "The name is Jeffrey, looking to find a spot to sleep, a meal to eat, and a tune to beat. Singing and Recording epic stories is my deed, and I am here on the demand of glory. So your names, my fellow brothers, shall be screamed in terror and whispered in fear for a thousand nights and days."

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 18, 2013, 06:47:12 pm »

Also kneel down on your two knees in an epic cheesy kinda way saying with your raspy voice: "The name is Jeffrey, looking to find a spot to sleep, a meal to eat, and a tune to beat. Singing and Recording epic stories is my deed, and I am here on the demand of glory. So your names, my fellow brothers, shall be screamed in terror and whispered in fear for a thousand nights and days."
+1 why not? if we're going to be a mage might as well start talking in rhymes and acting batshit crazy.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2013, 06:48:21 pm »

+1 why not? if we're going to be a mage might as well start talking in rhymes and acting batshit crazy.
+1, Yay we get to be a pretend crazy mage/bard
Edit: Let's hope they don't stab us for that rhyme alone.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:19:30 pm by Cain12 »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2013, 06:49:21 pm »

Oh yes, this is awesome

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2013, 07:14:37 pm »

Also kneel down on your two knees in an epic cheesy kinda way saying with your raspy voice: "The name is Jeffrey, looking to find a spot to sleep, a meal to eat, and a tune to beat. Singing and Recording epic stories is my deed, and I am here on the demand of glory. So your names, my fellow brothers, shall be screamed in terror and whispered in fear for a thousand nights and days and your deeds, shall be remembered and retold in good times and bad."
+1, Yay we get to be a pretend crazy mage/bard
They seem a little too stressed atm to handle hearing stuff like that, so edited slightly to drop the emotional tone. Scream/terror and whisper/fear are not what you want to say to highly excitable and scared peoples who think they might need to perforate you.  A little confusion without emotional oomph tends to slow down attack; too much oomph can even make attack more likely.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2013, 07:19:20 pm »

Deciding that pleading insanity would be a good idea, you fall to your knees and belt out "The name is Jeffrey, looking to find a spot to sleep, a meal to eat, and a tune to beat. Singing and Recording epic stories is my deed, and I am here on the demand of glory. So your names, my fellow brothers, shall be screamed in terror and whispered in fear for a thousand nights and days."

The goblins stop panicking. Whispers rise up; you hear various things:

"If he's a spy how come he came in the front gate?"
"He don't look like no troll."
"So tall and handsome!"
"Stop stepping on my foot!"
"Blackjack?"

The mounted guards hustle up with much clangor and bustle. They encircle you and point their lances. Their riding-lizard-roosters have metal plates riveted over their beak-tips and metal spurs on their ankles. There are glistening metal points everywhere!

They usher you by spearpoint to a big sprawling tree in the middle of the encampment, with a tree-house built up into its branches. A couple goblin cavaliers dismount, and you notice their saddles are actually attached to the butt of their armor. There are little handles on the front where the rooster-lizards grab on with their forelimbs.

All the goblins hang around watching as the door opens and a frizzy-haired hag of a goblin drifts out on a cloud of smoke. She descends and the sky darkens, until she is hovering before you. She raises a pair of opera glasses to her eyes, all the better to see you with.

Spoiler: Inventory: 20/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »

Woot we didn't get stabbed, they think we are handsome, they seem to have bad relations with trolls, so much good news.
They have a magical seeming old lady, might be good or bad news, interesting at least, guess we wait for her to speak first?
Edit: Practice our cover story in our head?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:29:45 pm by Cain12 »

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:02 pm »

It is probably best not to speak unless spoken to.

Bow to the lady in respect. Wait for either her or the guards to speak.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2013, 07:29:18 pm »

It is probably best not to speak unless spoken to.

Bow to the lady in respect. Wait for either her or the guards to speak.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 48